a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I wasting my time?

EV1981

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey there. I’m 36 years old, American, don’t think I’ll have a problem with the physical tests, can knock out 15 dead hang pull-ups, level 11 on Luc Leger test, have run 2 marathons, no problems with the law, really want this, but from what I’ve read, they really are looking for guys with no other options. Given my age, nationality, the fact I do have other options, am I wasting my time trying out for the Legion?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hey there. I’m 36 years old, American, don’t think I’ll have a problem with the physical tests, can knock out 15 dead hang pull-ups, level 11 on Luc Leger test, have run 2 marathons, no problems with the law, really want this, but from what I’ve read, they really are looking for guys with no other options. Given my age, nationality, the fact I do have other options, am I wasting my time trying out for the Legion?

Yes. You haven't even made up your own mind on what you want to do and already questioning if you will make that right choice.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Go and try. You won't know unless you do. I joined at 34 years old. Who gives a shit about what these guys say? It isn't their choice, it is yours.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Go and try... The answer is always “noâ€￾ if you don't ask. Only one way to find out. Is it going to be more difficult for you due to age/nationality/background/color of hair/shape of ear/day of the week/whatever? Perhaps, but knock on the gates and go from there...
Good luck.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
The fact that you are pondering whether to go or not... That is wasting your time. If you know that you want it, then get on a plane and try. Are the chances on your side? Feck no, they aren't on anyone's side who tries to get in with a 8% acceptance rate (at least that's what it used to be). But hesitating never gets you anywhere.

ps. we really need to get rid of this curse word filter. If someone can't handle hearing a bad word then they really have no place to be here.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Who gives a shit about what these guys say? It isn't their choice, it is yours.
If the guy is asking a question, I imagine he cares about the answers, even if you don't or think he shouldn't...
Having said that, I always have some doubt with people who have an attitude that looks like “hey, why not join the Legion?â€￾ as if they were saying “hey, with not go for a curry tonight (or pizza, burger or whatever your taste is)?â€￾. For the rest, I would just say that joining the Legion is a drastic change of life, that not everybody is able to take, whatever the age is. As I see current or recent legionnaires, replying to this thread, they may elaborate a bit on that.
Anyway, if you have time on your hands and money to buy a return plane ticket to France, you can always try. The trip alone is an adventure. Your challenge will be to convince the recruiters that if they take you, you won't be among those who raise their hands to “go civilâ€￾ after 6 months in the Legion or, even worse, desert.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
I am so happy to see more 3x aged wannabes. So we have one 33yo, now 36yo and me 38yo and who know how many more people still wondering what if...
Anyways i just want to admit that on these ages people definitely know what they want (with respect of course to all 17+yo members which i admire for their bravery).

analog

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
...the fact I do have other options...

I'm just another blue, but from what I've read on this board and elsewhere, if you give them the impression that you have other options then you will be wasting your time.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I'm just another blue, but from what I've read on this board and elsewhere, if you give them the impression that you have other options then you will be wasting your time.

Still the same, they already have NO, but might get YES.

analog

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Very true. I'm just thinking that he should maybe, uh, de-emphasize those other options when talking to the selectors...

EV1981

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Of course, I will do my best to convince the ‘gestapo’ that the Legion is what I really want and that I’d be committed to staying with it, which is totally the truth, I’m just saying that given my nationality and the fact I haven’t committed any crimes or done anything else that would keep me from getting a civilian job and living a soft easy life in the US, they’re going to know I do have other options out there. Also wondering how age factors into this. I’m definitely in better shape now than when I was in my early 20’s, and am curious whether scores at the high end for the physical tests will balance out the negative of being among the older candidates.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Of course, I will do my best to convince gestapo that the legion is what I really want and that I’d be committed to staying with it, which is totally the truth, I’m just saying that given my nationality and the fact I haven’t committed any crimes or done anything else that would keep me from getting a civilian job and living a soft easy life in the US, they’re going to know I do have other options out there. Also wondering how age factors into this. I’m definitely in better shape now than when I was in my early 20’s, and am curious whether scores at the high end for the physical tests will balance out the negative of being among the older candidates.

Age will be against you, but not the deciding factor. You just have to do more to convince them and to perform better than the younger guys and ...IF you have options it will be a hard sell unless you were to, lets say "not have options" for some reason that you told them about in your interviews...some reason you forgot about in your past that prevents you from having cushy job options in the U.S..
That said, it's not really the best place for people who have good options on the outside. It just makes it that much harder to stay when things get tough...but that's not to say that guys with options don't get accepted and don't stay for the full 5 so go and see for yourself.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Of course, I will do my best to convince the ‘gestapo’ that the Legion is what I really want and that I’d be committed to staying with it, (...)
It's not so much the ‘Gestapo’ (always with quotes, please, as it's a nickname...) that you need to convince rather than convince yourself. Do you really want to join the Legion and why? I'd suggest that you get in touch with some of your fellow countrymen who recently posted pretty negative comments on their life in the Legion (namely DCLXVI and Notatexan). See what they have to say about it and make sure you still really want to go. It may help you save time and money (unless time and money are not a problem for you).