American Sniper

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yeah right. It's easy for man to get confused with medals.
You have no idea. It's not like the US only awards 9 different medals. There are literally hundreds of different awards. More being created all the time. Two entire several-hundred page manuals of regulations just for the Army (AR 670-1 and AR 600-8-22) that weigh as much as the bible, look like a chinaman wrote them, and you practically have to be a lawyer to read. Every time we came back from a deployment, there'd be some new award and we'd have hours-long debates that would rage over who rated what.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
The Army train their own snipers.
After WW2 only the RM retained sniper training with a specific sniping school.
They then trained Army units, who in turn, started to create their own schools, having been initially trained by the Corps in that specific art. That is a fact.
Even now they train certain NATO SF units including Brits. They also cross exchange with the elite USMC snipers. The pass rate is very low. It is acknowledged to be one of the hardest of military courses. The course is for 13 weeks and held twice a year.

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You have no idea. It's not like the US only awards 9 different medals. There are literally hundreds of different awards. More being created all the time. Two entire several-hundred page manuals of regulations just for the Army (AR 670-1 and AR 600-8-22) that weigh as much as the bible, look like a chinaman wrote them, and you practically have to be a lawyer to read. Every time we came back from a deployment, there'd be some new award and we'd have hours-long debates that would rage over who rated what.
Tell me Crawdad. If you were writing your autobiography would you check corect number of your medals? You (same as Christ did) have them hang somewhere for sure. Also you probably know what you decorated for without checking.

Same as Chris knew. He probably saw mistake in his DD-214, like it, and decide to roll with it. If they reduced number of his medals, do you think that he would still put that in book?
That info about mistake maybe little bit softens thing, but in my opinion he was still lying.

I'm not denying deeds of Chris Kyle. I'm having problem with fact that they tried to make myth out of him. Someone decade that its good idea to make hero, person to be an role model for young soldiers and to boost overall moral. They overlooked that we live in time of internet and sh*t started to coming out. If they did that just 20 years ago everything would be smooth as it was with heroes in history.

I do believe in heroic acts, but I don't believe in heroes. (this should be my smart conclusion BTW :))

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
After WW2 only the RM retained sniper training with a specific sniping school.
They then trained Army units, who in turn, started to create their own schools, having been initially trained by the Corps in that specific art. That is a fact.
Even now they train certain NATO SF units including Brits. They also cross exchange with the elite USMC snipers. The pass rate is very low and I believe the course to be either 14 or 17 weeks.
Chas.. i know you love the Royal Marines but you are putting them up there above everyone. Really is tiresome. The first snipers in WW1 were Army. I know for a fact my friend did a sniper Cadre in his Battalion, Royal Anglians. Please stop the Marine ranting. :D

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Chas.. i know you love the Royal Marines but you are putting them up there above everyone. Really is tiresome. The first snipers in WW1 were Army. I know for a fact my friend did a sniper Cadre in his Battalion, Royal Anglians. Please stop the Marine ranting. :D
I do not rant. I have also corrected my post by looking up the facts.
Remember I have also served in a damn fine Army unit albeit TA.
So wind you neck in and stop trying to be more intelligent than you really are.;)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I do not rant. I have also corrected my post by looking up the facts.
Remember I have also served in a damn fine Army unit albeit TA.
So wind you neck in and stop trying to be more intelligent than you really are.;)
chas you rant on non stop about how the Royal Marines are the best. The SBS is Better than the SAS. Dude give it a rest. sure a lot of people respect you on here because you are trained from a WW2 commando Cadre... or so you say. who cares? i don´t. Maybe you are out of touch with the situation now.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Tell me Crawdad. If you were writing your autobiography would you check corect number of your medals? You (same as Christ did) have them hang somewhere for sure. Also you probably know what you decorated for without checking.

That info about mistake maybe little bit softens thing, but in my opinion he was still lying.
I'd never write an autobiography. But if I did:

Of course. I'd check, check, and recheck, before I'd dare publish anything. But I wouldn't just look at my medal/ ribbon racks to do it, Nor my 214. We have a thing called an "I Love Me Book", which is a binder full of our award certificates and orders. I was kind of anal about record keeping. Pretty sure I have some range qual scorecards from 2002 somewhere.

As for just knowing everything I have off the top of my head, without checking... When I was still in, yeah, no problem. Now, I could name which awards, probably how many of each, but when it comes to stuff like the number of campaign stars on my campaign ribbons, I'd have to double check.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
chas you rant on non stop about how the Royal Marines are the best. The SBS is Better than the SAS. Dude give it a rest. sure a lot of people respect you on here because you are trained from a WW2 commando Cadre... or so you say. who cares? i don´t. Maybe you are out of touch with the situation now.
Oh dear oh dear, how sad. I said post WW2 About the RM sniper school. And yes the Army does now train its own snipers. My point was both factual and historical. For a short time after the war it was a forgotten art for Brit/Mil with RM exception.

And yes, I am getting on years. It is also a fact that I was trained by former WW2 Cdos which can be substantiated by some worthwhile members of the forum and those whom I trust. I was also offered a Para commission in late 1958 early 1959 after an unpleasant time at Maida. Selecting officer was Capt Farrar Hockley, Gloster Regt sporting red beret with Gloster cap bage, Gloster shoulder flashes, para wings and Pegasus symbol. He was a Adjt of the Glorious Glosters in Korea and a POW. You should look him up. His superb book; The Edge of the Sword is a fantastic read.

All a bit before your time and an imbued sense of military history enables me to admire many fine Army regiments. Hence your graceless belligerence is wasted on me.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear oh dear, how sad. I said post WW2 About the RM sniper school. And yes the Army does now train its own snipers. My point was both factual and historical. For a short time after the war it was a forgotten art for Brit/Mil with RM exception.

And yes, I am getting on years. It is also a fact that I was trained by former WW2 Cdos which can be substantiated by some worthwhile members of the forum and those whom I trust. I was also offered a Para commission in late 1958 early 1959 after an unpleasant time at Maida. Selecting officer was Capt Farrar Hockley, Gloster Regt sporting red beret with Gloster cap bage, Gloster shoulder flashes, para wings and Pegasus symbol. He was a Adjt of the Glorious Glosters in Korea and a POW. You should look him up. His superb book; The edge of the sword is a fantastic read.

All a bit before your time and an imbued sense of military history enables me to admire many fine Army regiments. Hence your graceless belligerence is wasted on me.
Chas it does not matter. I know that the sniper i was talking about passed selection. I am not interested in any sh$t slinging here. i rant on about 1 REC... :) i do know if i was younger i would have enjoyed the Gunnery with them as i understand these things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
As to what he did lie about-- the Katrina looter stuff's totally bogus, and the Jesse Ventura thing most probably is.
He was a flawed hero, definitely. But fake hero? C'mon, man.

I've personally known a few guys who were decorated for valor. The one other thing they had in common is that they were, with few exceptions, hellraisers when not in combat. I'll show you what I mean:

Sgt M. Bronze Star with V, Purple Heart, Army Commendation Medal with V. Also prone to getting DUI's. Eventually booted for it.

Sgt H. BSMV, ARCOMV. Often got into bar fights.

SSG K. Posthumous BSMV and PH. Was actually about to get NJP'd for leaving his weapon unattended in the motor pool a week or two before he was killed.

SSG D. ARCOMV. Drummed out after getting caught in a drug sting.

SPC P. ARCOMV. DUI.

SSG W. Soldier's Medal, ARCOMV. Busted for, of all things, literally smoking Crack.

SPC M. ARCOMV for saving the lives of 4 soldiers during an ambush. 4 deployments, Also 4 different NJPs for: painting a confederate flag on his CVC helmet, getting a DUI, shooting up the ECP with an airsoft gun, and kicking down his own door in the barracks.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yeah right. It's easy for man to get confused with medals.

I don't really care much. for this case. If i'm American I would be pissed. Definitely not role model for me.
I always respected Tim Kennedy, even if he is a bit talkative.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I'd never write an autobiography. But if I did:

Of course. I'd check, check, and recheck, before I'd dare publish anything. But I wouldn't just look at my medal/ ribbon racks to do it, Nor my 214. We have a thing called an "I Love Me Book", which is a binder full of our award certificates and orders. I was kind of anal about record keeping. Pretty sure I have some range qual scorecards from 2002 somewhere.

As for just knowing everything I have off the top of my head, without checking... When I was still in, yeah, no problem. Now, I could name which awards, probably how many of each, but when it comes to stuff like the number of campaign stars on my campaign ribbons, I'd have to double check.
I know how many medals I display, 11 medals. Now as for as the stars, I'd do like you brother to go back and check. I know on my Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, one silver star and one bronze star (7th award), my Good Conduct Medal one silver star (6th Award), and lastly my National Defense one bronze star. Now for all of my ribbons I'd check to be sure.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I always respected Tim Kennedy, even if he is a bit talkative.
For sore he is talkative. Have some other negative characteristics as well. But he also did thing deserving respect.
Nobody is perfect! That's my point on this whole Chris Kyle thing.
Tim Kennedy isn't strong in modesty. Watched him some time ago in Joe Rogan's podcast. Ha said feir share of BS there, but hey, still respect him for other things

Did he also did episode about FFL (he is trying couple days of training in 3em REI ) in some show? Or was that some other guy?

Most viewed threads of the week