a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Sniper

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Read the book first which I loved, then watched the film.....when I first heard Bradley Cooper was playing the part of Chris Kyle I was really disappointed as just couldn't imagine him doing the part any justice at all, BUT how wrong I was, thought he did a cracking job, loved the film as much as the book x

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Read the book first which I loved, then watched the film.....when I first heard Bradley Cooper was playing the part of Chris Kyle I was really disappointed as just couldn't imagine him doing the part any justice at all, BUT how wrong I was, thought he did a cracking job, loved the film as much as the book x
Bradley Cooper did his job just fine. Maybe you should explore Chris Kyle - fake hero bit more!
And I'm just waiting for backlash on this one. Give your best shot guys, because I really did my homework on this one!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
American chiming in. I'm not one to fanboy or obsess over people. Whether or not Chris Kyle lived up to the legend or in truth fell short, I care about neither.

He was a SEAL, which few ever could be. He did his time, stacked some corpses, saw some places. For that, man has my respect. And that is the end of that discussion.

P.S. I prefer being a quiet professional over writing books. If I ever do anything worthy of a story, I won't say a peep. Getting the job done is satisfying enough.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
American chiming in. I'm not one to fanboy or obsess over people. Whether or not Chris Kyle lived up to the legend or in truth fell short, I care about neither.

He was a SEAL, which few ever could be. He did his time, stacked some corpses, saw some places. For that, man has my respect. And that is the end of that discussion.
And he sacked up and walked the walk, while 99% sat on their ar$e and have the audacity to judge, when they do not do crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: j.b

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
And he sacked up and walked the walk, while 99% sat on their ar$e and have the audacity to judge, when they do not do crap.
Relax mate, we're all entitled to an opinion. I'm with Bags on this, I personally loved the film. I haven't read the book for the simple reason that I can't find it here.
However, it is true that some of his medals were not awarded to him and some of the actions he claimed to take part in are not true. Saying that, having passed the SEAL selection is an achievement on it's own.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Relax mate, we're all entitled to an opinion. I'm with Bags on this, I personally loved the film. I haven't read the book for the simple reason that I can't find it here.
However, it is true that some of his medals were not awarded to him and some of the actions he claimed to take part in are not true. Saying that, having passed the SEAL selection is an achievement on it's own.
Got heated there, my apologies.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Now I am going to upset you all. There was 3 years ago a serving RM sniper with a better record. He prefers not to be boastful.
I posted full details some time ago but I will leave it for others to trawl my post.
Finally RM snipers overall are the best in Nato and train the SAS.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Now I am going to upset you all. There was 3 years ago a serving RM sniper with a better record. He prefers not to be boastful.
I posted full details some time ago but I will leave it for others to trawl my post.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me. Kyle's the most successful sniper in US military history, but he's not even close to the sheer numbers some other nations snipers have put up. In fact, he wouldn't even crack the top 10, stats-wise.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What was fantastic about Simo Hayha during the winter war were 2 things. One his affinity with nature as a hunter and secondly all his shots were made over iron sights, i.e. non telescopic.

Until some fool made me an officer, as a marksman/ gravel belly it was the path I wanted to take.

As a lad I grew up with guns. BFSS- WAGBI-BASC member. Now the weapons have all been surrendered. A bit like me.;)

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I saw a picture of him in a snow suit, smiling with his rifle in hand. Small man, big stones, even bigger spirit.
Reportedly most of his kills were done under 100 yards, rumour has it he used to put snow/ice in his mouth to avoid the vapour cloud that would come from breathing out. Also survived being shot in the face.
Snipers during WW2 are very difficult to verify kill numbers, the Soviets used to love pushing up numbers for propaganda purposes. Then with Germans a kill was only confirmed if an officer witnessed it, on top of that, German sniper tactics late war were to allow the enemy to advance past them and then start sniping at their rear. This was essentially suicide missions with them working alone, therefore impossible to verify their kills.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I'll call your bluff. Which of Kyle's claims are you disputing?
“I would end my career as a SEAL with two Silver Stars and five Bronze [Stars], all for valor.”
He earned one Silver Star and three Bronze Stars. Navy came up officially with this. What kind of man would lie about his medals? When some obviously retarded poor guy where's uniform on street pretending to be marine or something they want to rip him apart, but when Christopher do something similar everyone turning blind eye.

He lied that he shot looters after hurricane Katrina. Good job Chris. I also think that man stealing TV should be shot in head. :). Luckly this was his fabrication.

He lied that he punched Jesse Ventura. Later confirmed on court to be lye.

I wonder how many unconfirmed lies he had.

Also I think whole thing about celebrating sniper is wrong. Don't like snipers, it's dirty weapon, right after mines.

"Most confirmed kills" I have problem with that sentence being something to be proud about. What's next? Celebrity guys who flew Enola Gay? I'm sure they have much more impressive kill count, maybe not all confirmed.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Reportedly most of his kills were done under 100 yards, rumour has it he used to put snow/ice in his mouth to avoid the vapour cloud that would come from breathing out. Also survived being shot in the face.
Snipers during WW2 are very difficult to verify kill numbers, the Soviets used to love pushing up numbers for propaganda purposes. Then with Germans a kill was only confirmed if an officer witnessed it, on top of that, German sniper tactics late war were to allow the enemy to advance past them and then start sniping at their rear. This was essentially suicide missions with them working alone, therefore impossible to verify their kills.
I dont get it, all about how he did, how much he did, bro you're a sniper, you are not in the front line, you can see
a lot of videos on reddit / warfootage how snipers usually get they prey (some b@stards sitting and taking their coffee or
as we all know they dont even are organized or follow any military training), so that'll be quite possible to reach such
score.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
“I would end my career as a SEAL with two Silver Stars and five Bronze [Stars], all for valor.”
He earned one Silver Star and three Bronze Stars. Navy came up officially with this. What kind of man would lie about his medals? When some obviously retarded poor guy where's uniform on street pretending to be marine or something they want to rip him apart, but when Christopher do something similar everyone turning blind eye.

Inaccurate. Kyle was discharged in 2009; wrote his autobiography in 2012. At the time of his discharge, his DD-214 -- that's his discharge form-- listed, incorrectly, 2 Silver Stars and six BSMV's among his awards. The thing is, when a service member receives their DD-214, the clerk typing up the document will first add all the awards that on your OMPF (Official Military Personnel File). If you have received awards that are not listed on your OMPF-- which can happen-- you have to then provide physical proof (Award cerificate or a DA 638 form), and the award can then be added to your DD214. But if the award is not on your OMPF, and you don't have proof, then you're SOL. What you're absolutely unable to do is falsify
your awards on a 214.

Now, in 2016 the Navy corrected his records after reviewing them. His actual total was 1 Silver Star and 4-- not 3 as you claim-- BSMV's. My professional opinion is that some clerk uploaded multiple copies of the same awards to CK's OMPF, then the clerk preparing the 214 just looked at the numbers of awards without checking for duplicates, and then Kyle just went with what his records said.

Records get screwed up in the military, quite often. My OMPF had too many awards (again, duplicates), my 214 has too few (got my ETS award after my 214).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
and then Kyle just went with what his records said.
Yeah right. It's easy for man to get confused with medals.

I don't really care much. for this case. If i'm American I would be pissed. Definitely not role model for me.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The Army train their own snipers.