[Question] Americans

Hello everyone,

I am aware that this topic is brought up time and time again, and I am sure that this area has been covered. Nevertheless, after doing some digging, I have yet to find anything specific on this question.

We all know how Americans are viewed in the Legion: privelidged, wealthy, arrogant, full of opportunities. While I admit this can describe a vast majority, I know some Americans slip through selection. Can anyone here explain the type of Americans that are let through? For example, their history, work experience, legal troubles, etc. I am not implying that lying is necessary for selection, but we all know the common advice, “downgrade work experience, exaggerate desperation” etc.

Thank you. I appreciate any input, and I apologize if this has been covered but like I said I couldn’t find a specific profile of any recent Americans that got through.

Just think about this, they need people who can work for them for at least 5 years, who are not going to run away after 6 months. I'm going to quote myself... You have to select people from this list :
- An American dude that earned $6k per month and says that he can get a similar job if he wants (search for his post) or another American dude complaining about the hygiene of the FFL and blamed it for getting sick (search for his post).
- A Russian dude that used to live in the middle of nowhere, with a salary of 400 € per month, working 6 days per week 12 hours a day.
- A Brazilian dude that until yesterday was living in a favela.
- An African dude from a poor country that is used to eat only a day.
Who are you going to select from that list and why??

You have made this point to me in another thread, and I still fully agree with every part of it. That is why I asked the question. What could an American possibly do to counter the obvious reasons for selecting someone from a less priveliged area? What kind of American could make them forget about the fact that no matter what, they have more options? It seems like a stale-mate to me. Even a less fortunate American is generally better off than a fortunate African, Brazilian or Russian. There has to be some reason for choosing an American. From what I have seen, they choose other nationalities over Americans regardless of their criminal tendencies and lack of qualifications.

.... regardless of their criminal tendencies and lack of qualifications.
Sometimes is better an empty vessel, that you can teach to do things the way you want to be done, than someone that has previous experience.
About the criminal tendencies, not a big deal if you keep a short leash.

I guess you can come with an history about living a ghetto or something.

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
You have made this point to me in another thread, and I still fully agree with every part of it. That is why I asked the question. What could an American possibly do to counter the obvious reasons for selecting someone from a less priveliged area? What kind of American could make them forget about the fact that no matter what, they have more options? It seems like a stale-mate to me. Even a less fortunate American is generally better off than a fortunate African, Brazilian or Russian. There has to be some reason for choosing an American. From what I have seen, they choose other nationalities over Americans regardless of their criminal tendencies and lack of qualifications.
No good agonizing about it lad! Right now the Legion is simply not going to waste the time or money on an American/ Anglo. A. They have a tendency not to complete their contract. B. They cause trouble! C. They whine about how much better it was elsewhere!
On the other side of the coin if the French have a real war the doors will be wide open! Until then your chances are slim. However if your French is reasonable and you pass all the tests, who knows? Be the grey man obey all orders and stay away from the talkers and know all’s! Above all, don’t get mixed in with any clique. Your every move is watched. Screw up and they will show you the door real fast! Good luck.

Plus if they turn you down. You have the USMC, Navy, Air Force, Army, Cost Guard, National Guard. Also you have a shit load of PMC in the US. So don't get desperate.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Plus if they turn you down. You have the USMC, Navy, Air Force, Army, Cost Guard, National Guard. Also you have a shit load of PMC in the US. So don't get desperate.
Exactly! With Obama gone things are looking up for the u s military. With new equipment and pay raises in the pipeline and not having to be so politically correct anymore it’s a no brainer! Don’t waste time and money going to France unless you really have to!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Just think about this, they need people that can work for them, at least for 5 years, that are not going to run away after 6 months. I'm going quote myself
You have too select people from this list

"
-American dude that earned 6000 US DOLLARS PER MONTH and says that he can get a similar job if he wants (Search for his post)
-American dude that complains about the hygiene of the FFL and got sick (Search for his post)

-Russian dude that used to live in the middle of nowhere and his best salary was 400 euros per month working 6 days per week 12 hours...

-Brazilian dude that until yesterday was living in a Favela

-African dude from a poor country that is used to eat once per day. "

Who are you going to select from that list and why??
You have a point and Americans joining have to get that in mind. But still , I think that things getting over exaggerated from some westerners (Americans mostly) here. Many of them who tried and failed just looking for excuse for their failure and easiest one is "I am American, that's why they rejected me"... Just be realistic guys.

If you coming from US you have to give the good explanation why you didn't join USMC?

"6000 US DOLLARS PER MONTH " is (I think) too optimistic for most regular Yanks. But yes, most of them can earn more than legion salary is. So yes you have to be really motivated if you are Amer.

Also you have to convince them that you will stay for 5 y. Because many of Americans do desert. They (FFL) know that and that are really suspicious when US citizens come.

Don't get me wrong, is nothing personal or against Americans, but simple fact is that best American soldiers will join USMC because that have better conditions there than in FFL. Also there is patriotic note. Many guys here coming from USMC have dishonorable discharge. So ...

I mean yes there is many Americans in FFL of course. Just maybe you guys will have to do some more explaining than someone coming from Eastern-Europe (or ...whatever)

GSP's post impose some indirect conclusions that Legion will take anyone who coming from poor background and reject anyone coming from rich one. And that simply isn't true.

For Americans who are rejected and they put all blame on their nationality ... I don't have many good words. But hey, many of them except that all doors would be opened for them simply by saying magic word "I em a American" .
I guess that don't work there.

GSP's post impose some indirect conclusions that Legion will take anyone who coming from poor background and reject anyone coming from rich one. And that simply isn't true.
That's not the case, i was just pointing that some people that posted here about their travel could have made some bad impression to the FFL, like the dude who said to the shrink about how much and awesome his last job was.... Or the other poster who complained about how dirty the FFL was.
They can be American, Africans whatever you want if your background is of someone with an awesome life standard is most likely that they will not want you and like i said in the other post all of this is assumption. Because unless you are in the mind of those doing the interview is impossible
But we can do critical thinking and see why some people failed, even if they were in fit and healthy.
Same goes for me, that's why i'm waiting till the few last month of my visa to go the Paris, because i want to be in the best shape i can. Why?
31 vs 18-25 you have to give them a very good reasson to select you. Instead of selecting someone that is in his prime(Physical) vs someone that's a bit older and may be more prone to get sick or diseases due to their age?

Is not about being negative, mean or anything is just about being realistic and that will help you to prepare better.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
GSP, I never heard anyone complaining he was rejected because he is too stupid. And I believe there is many cases like that. :)

Many of guys simple ain't enough. and you have to have certain level of IQ for FFL. At least enough to catch French. If one joining home army that can be a bit level on IQ.

So yes that's one more thing to take in consideration. When someone on interview talk how his life was great before FFL that's also lack of IQ :)

Also guys talk all kinds of crazy shit and get rejected. And than blame it on their western origin and on Eastern- Europeans because "They Took Our Jobs! " - (redneck from South Park). :)

GSP,
Age and maturity in a recruit can often be an advantage. Physically they have greater resilience than the younger brethren. Also their mentality is better. There should also be no age related problems if the medicals and personal disclosures have been correct.
Young recruits have to grow up very quickly and learn to adapt.
An example on this board is Duke Pearson who served as a very young Mne Cdo and subsequently in the FFL.
I also started as a very young and callow youth.

mark wake

Legionnaire
That's not the case, I was just pointing that some people that posted here about their travel could have made some bad impression to the FFL, like the dude who said to the shrink about how much and awesome his last job was.... Or the other poster who complained about how dirty the FFL was.
They can be American, African, whatever you want if your background is of someone with an awesome life standard is most likely that they will not want you and like I said in the other post all of this is assumption. Because unless you are in the mind of those doing the interview is impossible
But we can do critical thinking and see why some people failed, even if they were in fit and healthy.
Same goes for me, that's why i'm waiting till the few last month of my visa to go the Paris, because i want to be in the best shape i can. Why?
31 vs 18-25 you have to give them a very good reasson to select you. Instead of selecting someone that is in his prime(Physical) vs someone that's a bit older and may be more prone to get sick or diseases due to their age?

Is not about being negative, mean or anything is just about being realistic and that will help you to prepare better.
Some good thoughts from everyone! Just a last footnote from me. I don’t want any Americans/Anglos thinking they are persona none grata! Just try harder! The Canadians/Americans/Brits/Aussi’s and Kiwis I had the privilege to serve with in the Legion were some of the finest lads I knew. Tough hard drinking buggers! But the salt of the earth! Je regrette rien!

From recent recollections on the forum it’s clear that there is a certain air of superiority amongst some of the Anglo EVs, even the guy on YouTube littlest Viking. Often comments are thrown around about incompetence of NCOs and such, also with regards to lack of quality of other legionnaires from other corners of the globe. That's the complete wrong mentality and instructors, officers and NCOs are going to spot that from a mile away and will definitely make life difficult for you to knock you down a peg or two.

You volunteer for the Legion, nobody forces you to go there and promises you are going to be some special forces door kicker rambo wannabe. It was your decision to go, the least you can do is finish your contract and stop slamming an institution because you failed to adapt.

(...) What could an American possibly do to counter the obvious reasons for selecting someone from a less priveliged area? What kind of American could make them forget about the fact that no matter what, they have more options ? (...)
There are a number of Americans on the board that serve (or have served) In the Legion. Ask our friend DCLXVI for example.

From recent recollections on the forum it’s clear that there is a certain air of superiority amongst some of the Anglo EVs, even the guy on YouTube littlest Viking. (...)
I just watched a few videos from that guy and WOW what an arrogant a*shole. What we learn from that guy:
1) He hates the European Culture, but yet he calls himself littlest VIKING...
2) France has no real army unlike UK and USA.
3) He was unimpress by the chain of command, yet he was mad that he had to threat a Sergeant with respect.
4)Legionnaires were crying because his rifle was too loud...
5) Everyone is trash except him but... he had issues with alcohol and drugs.

All of that and much more here...

This is the classic dude that goes in the army thinking that he is going to become Rambo and he is going use a FN MAG with one hand... Then he finds out that he has to clean the place and that he needs to know how to use a seewing needle to fix their uniforms....

I worked 5 years with Americans and I will never understand them... They are nice people but at the same thing they keep trashing everything that's not American... Even once I heard a female Marine saying that Latinos were inferior to Americans in every way. Her last name was... CARRERAS. Come on lady... :rolleyes:

Being stupid and having a low IQ, can be messaured = the distance between Dussaboss ears
Other than that
Americans are excepted in the Legion
Always have been
I have known some. ..and ?
A typical paranoid behavour
I blame my over hyped, self inflicted behavour
Coca Cola, Mac donalds, and Marbolbor
Maybe, you's just can't make the break ?
Go with the times
Post Shitum
Why join a Wannabe army when you have evry thing (according to the Dow Jones) = merci the New Yorkais Jewish bankers
Tell it like it is (no other way, with me)

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
From recent recollections on the forum it’s clear that there is a certain air of superiority amongst some of the Anglo EVs, even the guy on YouTube littlest Viking. Often comments are thrown around about incompetence of NCOs and such, also with regards to lack of quality of other legionnaires from other corners of the globe. That's the complete wrong mentality and instructors, officers and NCOs are going to spot that from a mile away and will definitely make life difficult for you to knock you down a peg or two.

You volunteer for the Legion, nobody forces you to go there and promises you are going to be some special forces door kicker rambo wannabe. It was your decision to go, the least you can do is finish your contract and stop slamming an institution because you failed to adapt.
One of the best comments I have read in a long time!