An inquiry about previous military experience

Ratings
75 1
Home Country
Egypt
Hello guys, I am graduating this year from college (English literature). I am Egyptian and I want to seek a military career. However, because of stupid bureaucracy and red tape I cannot join the Egyptian army for the following reasons.
1-They do not accept corrected eyesight even if it is 6/6 with no problems (tell me about it)
2- Even if I manage to let someone pull some strings they need a high school degree with validity of 2 years... So I cannot join the army with a college diploma but can with a high school. So I have to graduate from high school again lol.
And I ain't doing all of that to join some crappy dictatorship which worships its leader and cares nothing about the welfare of its citizens and actually give direct order to shoot and execute any opposition. I did not set those rules guys so don't go on blaming me for them. Here in Egypt we have compulsory conscription and for me it is going to be for one year. However, because of my eyesight I have the option of deliberately skipping it. I was planning on skipping the conscription, correct my eyesight and then make my way to Paris. In Egypt, a male cannot travel legally without finalizing his military conscription status so even if I get accepted in Schengen I would never leave the airport legally without either finishing conscription or dropping out of for medical/family reason. I came across some articles on the internet that in the FFL military experience is very important and increases your chances. I want to know, should I correct my eyesight and get myself into conscription for a year as a way to prepare myself for the legion's life? This way I'll go to paris with 1 year of military experience which will probably be in a paratrooper/ shock trooper (special forces) regiment. Guys who are in good shape here get shipped to infantry/paratrooper or even shock infantry They are called strike force and they more like the 75th ranger regiment or spetsnaz and yes our beloved armed forces forces its college conscriptions to join in special forces not just do desk jobs. Please note that they will accept me as a conscript if I correct my eyesight but they won't allow me to enlist because as a conscript they pay me well...40$ a months :D The thing is life in the Egyptian army is cruel and extremely inhumane. You get beaten up, you nearly don't eat and sometimes they offer you bread with fungus. You literally live in a campus among snakes and reptiles that are poisonous and actually in one campus a friend of mine said that the antidote for the reptile's poison was expired so you get bitten and that's it you're dead because it was an isolated campus in the desert. and well if you take the decision of going to the bathroom in an Egyptian army you would never manage how the hell you would use it because it is just too dirty and full of cockroaches. Lots of my friends spent more than 8 days without going to the bathroom lol. Please also note that because of being an agnostic I can face serious threats in the army here like death threats or prison. If they figure out in anyway I am not a muslim I'll probably die like if they ask me to pray or go to the mosque on Friday I can get court martialed if I refuse..... Is it better for me to correct my eyesight and join the army and take the military experience and serve in some elite force for a year? Will this experience really matter in Aubagne or should I just say **** it and as soon as I get my medical excuse out of the army I can just correct my eyesight and travel (they wouldn't care less if I do the surgery immediately after I get my medical excuse) and work on my french for some time and get an advanced degree in it and work on my body alone then make my way to Paris? I read somewhere that people who do lasik surgery are advised to try joining the legion after a year from performing the surgery. Is this true? My brother has the same eyesight as me we are the same in everything identical even in astigmatism and short sightedness and a couple of months ago he did the surgery and now is 6/6 just like any other normal person.

Another question. I am a college boy. I have absolutely no criminal record at all not even a speeding/parking ticket or even a problem in school I was an ideal student. I come from well not a very rich family but I get the things I want after saving for'em for a couple of months. What I want to say is that I am not escaping a hell to join the legion, I am joining it because it is the only way for me well to 1-escape Egypt (which is hell right now actually :D especially for someone who is agnostic like me and can get improsined for that) and seek a citizenship abroad 2-It's my last chance of pursuing a military career which I really want very badly after my country took that chance away from me by disallowing me from enlisting because of corrected eyesight. Could they view me as not fit to join the legion just because of my background being clean and too good? or would that actually be something that would improve my chances of joining the legion? My family also knows about my decision and they do not like it but they respect it.
I am planning on going to Paris during 2019 so what are your advices? I went there before so it should be easy for me to obtain a Schengen but I hope no more terrorist attack happens because well my name is mohamed and you know I am an arab from the middle east after all (I drink beer and eat pork haha because I am an agnostic so that's not a problem for me). How should I prepare and what to focus on more to increase my chances of getting accepted? I am going to start some advanced french courses as soon as I get graduated from college and I am already exercising nearly everyday. I will also try to improve my arismatic and mathmatical skills for the psycho technical test. I understand that even though some guys pass all the tests overthere and get many pull ups, sprints and do good in interview and psychotechnical test they still get rejected for some mysterious reason and get unlucky so I am prepared for that too :D About changing my namee, do I still need to change it? I don't mind doing that I actually want to change it because I hate it and I 've had enough of Islam and I don't want to have anything to do with it. Do I get to choose a new name or am I just assigned one? Like can I use the alien Keegan mactavish over there?
I also applied for the American dv lottery, so just in case I got accepted there. Is the US army a better military career than the FFL? Where ever I go I just want to serve the citizens of whatever country is going to accept me and give me a second chance to pursue a military career. I was very patriotic when I was young but after the 2011 revolution when the army took control in Egypt and started sending "special forces", "paratroopers" and "tanks" after us in the streets during protests to kill us well I kind of lost my patriotism and lost my way for a while. I want to have a purpose and feel like I matter. Just in case anyone of you wonders how I am ready to leave my country behind. She left me, abonded me and put in harms way just because I asked for some freedom and justice. Now I have to act like a Muslim even though I am not and I am forced to do things I do not believe in just to avoid doing prison or worse getting killed.
Sorry for talking so much guys, thanks for reading and taking the time to help me.

Ratings
Home Country
Australia
I'm just another blue (i.e. someone who has never been in the Legion) but from what I've read here and elsewhere...

* Previous military experience is looked upon favourably, but not to the point where it'd be worth enduring what you describe in the Egyptian army.
I think most people from this forum who have gotten in did not have previous experience, but could be wrong.

* Unless you have your heart set on joining the parachute Regiment, you won't need laser surgery, but as a fellow glasses wearer I can see why you'd want it anyway. I believe the Legion prefers PRK (a different kind of laser surgery) over LASIK.

* Most people say that it's better to join the US Army (or any other Western military) than the Legion. The fact that you speak Arabic would make very useful to these militaries so use that.

* In selection I would talk down the "nicer" parts of your background such as your college degree and middle class life and emphasise the fact that you come from a poor, politically unstable country.

* Also emphasise the problems you face as an agnostic in your home country. They want to hear that your life in Egypt is so bad that you'll never want run away back to it no matter how bad it gets in the Legion. Also, because the Legion can end up fighting Islamic extremists, you want them to have no doubts about your loyalty. I would make this part of your story for why you want to join - you've experienced the effects of extremism first hand in your country and want to join the fight against it.

* The Legion will give you a new name, but they choose it. You can revert back to your real name after a year. You need to go back to your real name of you want a French passport.

* There's a thread on this topic, but getting a French passport is actually quite difficult and if they can stuff you around or find an excuse to deny you, they will.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Ratings
110 2
Home Country
Canada
mmmm.. the Egyptian army seem to be a lot like the old Legion (before 1962) however, the Legion was not quite as bad.
Anyway, have a look at the stickies in particular the ones about eye sight .

Home Country
United States
What an insight into Egypt... I knew they had a revolution in 2012-13... I often see Egyptians, Jordanians, Lebanese, Syrian, etc. on US mil bases. I never talked with them in the past and always treated them as I would a high rank, always a smile and a nod. Recently though, I've had some opportunities and it has always been a positive experience. They are just like you (well, some of them keep the prayers and the diet). Point is, the US trains them in all sorts of things. See if you can be an officer in the US Army. If I was a recruiter I would do a backflip to have found a guy like you. We need people just like you, for obvious reasons. There are many paths to the same goal. Good luck.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Ratings
56 3 1
Home Country
United States
I read 2 paragraphs of your manifesto. You have nothing to lose and nothing to...

A body is a Corpse, but a warm corpse is a living body, roll the dice.

Nickfury

Top Member
Ratings
67 1
Home Country
San Marino
Wow! You seriously need to learn to love paragraphs and starting with a short intro and one or two succinct questions. That's just way too much. You just lost half your readers or more, people are turned off at the prospect of a rambling wall of text.

That said you seem like a nice guy and you probably have a decent chance at the legion...by that I mean, as good a chance as anyone.

Do what you need to do to avoid the Egyptian military, then get lasik and go to France if you can get a visa, then try to join there and emphasize the shittty situation at home and that you are agnostic and the dangers you face there. Due to coming from a country with such an unstable or dangerous situation they won't really care about your uni, that is a plus as you have education but no incentive to go back home.

Your chances are almost zero to get into the US under the Trump administration. :D

Good luck.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
932 4 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Wow! You seriously need to learn to love paragraphs and starting with a short intro and one or two succinct questions. That's just way too much. You just lost half your readers or more, people are turned off at the prospect of a rambling wall of text.

That said you seem like a nice guy and you probably have a decent chance at the legion...by that I mean, as good a chance as anyone.

Do what you need to do to avoid the Egyptian military, then get lasik and go to France if you can get a visa, then try to join there and emphasize the shittty situation at home and that you are agnostic and the dangers you face there. Due to coming from a country with such an unstable or dangerous situation they won't really care about your uni, that is a plus as you have education but no incentive to go back home.

Your chances are almost zero to get into the US under the Trump administration. :D

Good luck.
I was just glad that Analog had the courage to get through it all and condense it with good responses. Keegan, we are not all adept fans of reading piles of text when basically all we want is a summary of yourself, what your interest in the Legion is and any questions that you want answering.

Rapace

Ratings
372 3 1
Home Country
France
One thing to mention: if you decide to join the Legion and because you seem not to like Pdt Marshall Sissi, you could be considered an extremist Muslim (member of the Muslim Brotherhood or even worse...). I read you're agnostic, so during the Security interview with the so-called ‘Gestapo’, make sure to mention this clearly. The Legion is paying a lot of attention not to be ‘infiltrated’ by Islamists, for reasons easy to understand. If they have a doubt about your story, they won't take a chance.
I'm not saying it's impossible to join from a country where there are active Islamist movements (we've unfortunately seen recently what they are capable of in Egypt) but you need to be convincing. If you're a Coptic Christian and tell them you want to leave Egypt because of the risk Christians are facing there, that's an example of a good story that would help them consider your application. Beware that your story, whatever it is, will be cross-checked...

Home Country
Australia
One thing to mention: if you decide to join the Legion and because you seem not to like Pdt Marshall Sissi, you could be considered an extremist Muslim (member of the Muslim Brotherhood or even worse...). I read you're agnostic, so during the Security interview with the so-called ‘Gestapo’, make sure to mention this clearly. The Legion is paying a lot of attention not to be ‘infiltrated’ by Islamists, for reasons easy to understand. If they have a doubt about your story, they won't take a chance.
I'm not saying it's impossible to join from a country where there are active Islamist movements (we've unfortunately seen recently what they are capable of in Egypt) but you need to be convincing. If you're a Coptic Christian and tell them you want to leave Egypt because of the risk Christians are facing there, that's an example of a good story that would help them consider your application. Beware that your story, whatever it is, will be cross-checked...
I'm not an Islamist but I think the West (particularly Europe) could benefit from a bit of white Sharia. I thought the Legion would have been big on traditionalism. They after all don't allow females in their ranks.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Home Country
England
I'm not an Islamist but I think the West (particularly Europe) could benefit from a bit of white Sharia. I thought the Legion would have been big on traditionalism. They after all don't allow females in their ranks.
There's a big difference between traditionalism and Sharia. If a person has never been a Muslim, and is a kafir (infidel), Sharia Law demands that he or she should be offered the choice to convert to Islam and become a Muslim; if he or she rejects the offer, he or she may become a dhimmi (protected person). Failure to pay the tax may lead the non-Muslim to either be enslaved or killed.
I don't care if they're white black or blue, if they're an Islamist, they're getting a boot to the back of the head.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
354 5 7
Home Country
Yugoslavia
keegan mactavish, paragraphs !!!

I'm sure you are right about condition in Egyptian army but, your complaining tone about them is not they (FFL) want to hear.

Especially because you didn't been there only hear about.

As kind of agnostic myself I'm little confused with your point of you on going to mosque. You sound more like radical Christian or Jew who is forced to go in mosque.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
354 5 7
Home Country
Yugoslavia
SBG800 WTF you talking about? Go to Saudi Arabia to benefit yourself from Sharia. There is many idiots in my country who hate Muslims, but think that we can benefit from a bit of white Sharia.

Talking all that while comfortably living in secular countries with rule of sense and law. People fought and died for secular states and liberty. Liberty is not what far left trying to display in last couple years.

And that's what stupid leftist politicians do when go wild with liberty. They pushing young man on other end of spectrum - far right.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
309 4
Home Country
South Africa
Can we please avoid the Islamic extremism rants, yes we are all aware there's a problem, but every time Muslim or Islam pops up on the forum we get pages of rants, Rapace made a good point. Now do we really have to go the religious/extremism arguments again....

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
354 5 7
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Can we please avoid the Islamic extremism rants, yes we are all aware there's a problem, but every time Muslim or Islam pops up on the forum we get pages of rants, Rapace made a good point. Now do we really have to go the religious/extremism arguments again....
This was not about Muslims!

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Home Country
England
I don't disagree with you but saying we need "white" Sharia (Law) needs to be dealt with, not ignored.

SBG800 WTF you talking about? Go to Saudi Arabia to benefit yourself from Sharia. There is many idiots in my country who hate Muslims, but think that we can benefit from a bit of white Sharia.

Talking all that while comfortably living in secular countries with rule of sense and law. People fought and died for secular states and liberty. Liberty is not what far left trying to display in last couple years.

And that's what stupid leftist politicians do when go wild with liberty. They pushing young man on other end of spectrum - far right.
If they dislike Islam they can't be total idiots.

Rapace

Ratings
372 3 1
Home Country
France
Gents, as Snafu rightly said, my point wasn't to reopen the same can of worms about Islam, is it ‘good’, is it ‘bad’? Blah blah... Only wanted to let this Egyptian potentially interested in joining the Legion (like the Iraqi one in another thread), that, for mere security reasons and avoid being ‘infiltrated’ by undercover Islamist militants, the Legion will scrutinize candidates from some Middle East countries more than others. It's a fact, not a judgement of value, so please...

Ratings
75 1
Home Country
Egypt
Gents, as Snafu rightly said, my point wasn't to reopen the same can of worms about Islam, is it ‘good’, is it ‘bad’? Blah blah... Only wanted to let this Egyptian potentially interested in joining the Legion (like the Iraqi one in another thread), that, for mere security reasons and avoid being ‘infiltrated’ by undercover Islamist militants, the Legion will scrutinize candidates from some Middle East countries more than others. It's a fact, not a judgement of value, so please...
Sorry for the late reply, I was busy the last month. I totally get your point. I actually never thought about this point it kind of makes sense. Maybe if asked why I didn't join the Egyptian military I can just state I am agnostic and that life inside it is really tough no need to mention I oppose the government or anything.
Thank you all for your answers. Unfortunately going to the USA is very hard for me, it's either a dv lottery green card or there is no hope.

Ratings
Home Country
Colombia
Man leasing our background and basing other experience I read You must try to convince "Gestapo" That You need seriously the Legion by talking about your perils in Egypt and its situation. Your arabic could play a role to take You in account. About your Military service You Just see a lot of sand, army hymns and Egyptian army tradition That the only thing Would help You is your physic aquired there and Closed order, so You might better train and learning some French

Ratings
Home Country
Colombia
Well, in my military service and in my short time in the CO academy I learned the hymns, prayings of every branch (Infantry, Cavarly, Artillery). The arming and disarming Galil/Galil ACE rifles (I bet in Egypt you will do the same with AK-47 o varied versions). The things I've mentioned doesn't count a crap in the FFL 'cause the difference on equipment (unless arming and disarming of FAMAS is similar to Galil, thing I'm surely not); you will learn FFL hymns and prayings that doesn't have any similiraty with your national one's you learnt there.

About your service there's not Logistical Batallions there in Egypt? Here in Colombia those who has any High School degree can do his military service there. You only learn the basic (no BOOT camp, no marches with equipment) and after 3-4 months you're assigned in a office doing some civilian things (getting photocopies, bring this X thing to your Seargent house, etc).

And about knowing a lot of your army? I'm based what you said up there lol. But as you said, being almost 1 year spending your time in a wasteland post and begging to be not bitten by a snake doesn't help a lot.

Most viewed threads of the week