Another american

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Good Evening.

Just wanted to say thanks for granting membership, as well as the information posted in the forums. A little about me:
I'm 24, from Texas. I served in the US army for a time as a mortarman in the 82nd, now I am in college studying french, and some history and speaking skills (I'm not much of a talker, so I wanted to learn to be a more effective communicator). Personality wise, I'm very down to earth and a realist. I think with the right attitude, some discipline, and a lot of hard work, one can get just about everything done. I'm a bit of a stoic, somewhat by nature yet credit belongs to "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. I try to treat everyone with a certain level of mutual respect, and I judge character and actions alone. I don't really hold prejudices or reservations about any religion or culture, or ethnicities. When I was in the Army I met a lot of great people from all over the world and was afforded the privilege of learning more about where they came from and how they were raised.

Anyways, I am here because I am making preparations to volunteer for Le Legion Etrangere (forgive the lack of accent marks). I have my reasons which I do not want to make public. I know it is a fresh start and I expect a lot of work. I don't mind work details, or chores for that matter so I'll accept my fate as a motivated janitor until I prove myself. I am a simple man and understand the value and pride of a hard day's work.

This forum, Google, and some folks I have spoken with, have answered most of my questions and given me all I need to be able to make the trip and hopefully have the honor of being selected. If possible, I would like to talk to a Legionnaire who's still in, or has moved on to other things, to address a few questions that the resources stated above could not answer, in private.

Good luck to those who want to volunteer, and thanks to the information provided by everyone here. It's a pleasure to be here.

- A_Wanderer

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello A_Wanderer and welcome to the forum. Don't hesitate to ask anything that you are not sure of. When are you thinking of joining? If you are still not sure about joining, then wait because it is a 100% commitment.
The legion are getting tired of those knocking on the door and saying that they have always wanted to join and that they want to go to the REP and do more than five years... And then they ask to go civvy before even getting to their regiment. I'm sure that this isn't your case, but just be prepared that it is a 5 year commitment.

OP
A
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
First of all, thank you. I will be joining either at the end of this year in November/December or early 2020. Have things I need to finish commitments to, so that I can leave with no ties or lock downs back home.

Second, I am 100% committed. I won't praddle on about all I've given up or what I am doing to prepare but I do want this. I don't have an delusions, but I will put in the work if they have me. If I like it, which I hope, I will stay. If not, I will suck it up and finish my 5.

Finally, while I would be grateful to be in any regiment, in any position, 2REP would not be my first choice. I've done the Airborne thing, and would do it again but I am interested in 3REI or 13 DBLE.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello Wanderer,

A warm welcome to the forum. Enjoy the banter (joshing) and seek as much information as possible from those in Green.

Congratulations on doing, as you say; The Airborne thing.

There are several in Blue who have served with other units. We have members from the USMC, British Army and others of whom I was one.:D No need to guess as you will soon find out. Also I suspect that I am possibly the oldest forum member. But age is simply a state of mind !

I wish you well in all your endeavour- so Carpe Diem.

Shiroto

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Japan
Hello, welcome to the forum. I'm sure your time in the Army has already prepared you for another round of military life.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Would always say to people finish your education first if you're young. Then get the adventures in ...later you can settle into the second Phase as a civilian with something to Fall back to. Maybe you'll go back home later.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Good Luck man. After having spent time in "Fayette-nam" I'm sure you'll do great.

OP
A
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I have some questions for moderators, current serving legionnaires, or anyone who has knowledge on the selection process. If anyone could direct me to those individuals it would help quite a bit. I don't want to post specifics in public as I have to share more personal information.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Would always say to people finish your education first if you're young. Then get the adventures in ...later you can settle into the second Phase as a civilian with something to Fall back to. Maybe you'll go back home later.
I did my Degree at 53 ( started) not one size fits all! 😀

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Good Evening.

Just wanted to say thanks for granting membership, as well as the information posted in the forums. A little about me:
I'm 24, from Texas. I served in the US army for a time as a mortarman in the 82nd, now I am in college studying french, and some history and speaking skills (I'm not much of a talker, so I wanted to learn to be a more effective communicator). Personality wise, I'm very down to earth and a realist. I think with the right attitude, some discipline, and a lot of hard work, one can get just about everything done. I'm a bit of a stoic, somewhat by nature yet credit belongs to "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. I try to treat everyone with a certain level of mutual respect, and I judge character and actions alone. I don't really hold prejudices or reservations about any religion or culture, or ethnicities. When I was in the Army I met a lot of great people from all over the world and was afforded the privilege of learning more about where they came from and how they were raised.

Anyways, I am here because I am making preparations to volunteer for Le Legion Etrangere (forgive the lack of accent marks). I have my reasons which I do not want to make public. I know it is a fresh start and I expect a lot of work. I don't mind work details, or chores for that matter so I'll accept my fate as a motivated janitor until I prove myself. I am a simple man and understand the value and pride of a hard day's work.

This forum, Google, and some folks I have spoken with, have answered most of my questions and given me all I need to be able to make the trip and hopefully have the honor of being selected. If possible, I would like to talk to a Legionnaire who's still in, or has moved on to other things, to address a few questions that the resources stated above could not answer, in private.

Good luck to those who want to volunteer, and thanks to the information provided by everyone here. It's a pleasure to be here.

- A_Wanderer
Welcome mate. For some reason the French are beginning to like the Americans/ brits/Anglos again! 😊 (probably had enough of the eastern bloc types!) during selection be up front and have a good attitude. Scratch up on the French language! And what is required on all the tests. Best of luck.

Most viewed threads of the week