a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti-American Sentiment in the FFL

enjolras

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
It seems 2e REP hasn't evolved with the times as much as the other regiments...

In an answer to the OP, yes there's a bit of anti-anglophone (not so much American) behaviour in my regiment due to the fact that it's perceived you come from a good country and you can make a lot of money over there. The Americans here are usually guys that have stuffed up majorly in their country however they're also usually some of the best soldiers, very capable. Like all things, it depends on your unit/caporal/sergeant/your personality but you can get some flack. Nothing over the top.

Edit: realise now the OP was talking about selection. C'est pas grave...

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
How many times have the French administration (judges, police, préfecture, social workers) and the general population told me “casse-toi”, “rentre chez toi, sale Rosbeef” or “t'es pas de chez nous” (bugger off, go back home bloody Brit, you're not from here)? I have lost count
Ex-legionnaire or not, am still not considered by them. This is a typical, common attitude, among the French. An anti anglophone xénophobie and concerns not just "Yankees", but any buddy who refuses to incline to the French dillusion of being the best at everything... They've done it all, they do it best, they know it best. My hairy arse, they do !
Smug, arrogant, and chauvinistic yet,for many, unpatrioctic. Then again, when and where did someone's patriotism, get them anywhere i ask you? Remember this, wannabes: if you make it in the Legion on thing is for sure is. You will make your superiors career and receive all the thanks in a leaking basket.
Cozette

Darwinism and the natural selection... Where only the French survive.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well hey guys thanks for the responses and for having this conversation. It's been very insightful and I really appreciate it. If anything it has strengthened my resolve in my plan to go should I not be accepted into the US Army. Like I said, I'm just trying to look at it from all angles.

from reading your post though and the tone it gave off (i can be wrong as its just a written post), sounds like you might attract more problems cuz of the way you think/worry.

I get your point on this. The reason I'm throwing it out here now is so that it isn't any kind of concern in the future. Trust me, I won't in any way be attracting any more attention to myself or speaking more than I should be. If I'm there, I'm there to make it.

Edit: realise now the OP was talking about selection. C'est pas grave...

I was talking about being in the Legion as well. Thanks for the reply.

Now I am not suggesting that you will go as far as waving your passport and shouting that you are American (in Marseille of all places) but what I would suggest is that you eat some humble pie, keep a low profile and not get lured into any discussions on how great America is or is not.

Definitely won't be doing that.

Anyways, I'm expecting to hear back from the Army fairly soon. So I'll update about that and about what my plans are if I get a no-go.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
How many times have the French administration (judges, police, préfecture, social workers) and the general population told me “casse-toi”, “rentre chez toi, sale Rosbeef” or “t'es pas de chez nous” (bugger off, go back home bloody Brit, you're not from here)? I have lost count
Ex-legionnaire or not, am still not considered by them. This is a typical, common attitude, among the French. An anti anglophone xénophobie and concerns not just "Yankees", but any buddy who refuses to incline to the French dillusion of being the best at everything... They've done it all, they do it best, they know it best. My hairy arse, they do ! (...)
Hi Andy, I lived several years in France after the Legion and I have to say that I have never experienced anything like what you have described.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Working at the US consulate? Try living 15 years in a so-called “quartier sensible”, Beurs, Black and Blanc, same republican schooling and what really boiled my piss, was the 4 years waiting for "them", to deliver my carte de séjour. With a baby in tow and an interdiction de quitter le territoire. No allowance for young child and the rest of the beans (my, that was a tough ride, hardest thing I've ever done in all my life ). My son is now 21 and lives near Larzac, passed his Bac Pro and has applied to join the army (regular). Why not?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Working at the US consulate? Try living 15 years in a so-called “quartier sensible”, Beurs, Black and Blanc, same republican schooling and what really boiled my piss, was the 4 years waiting for "them", to deliver my carte de séjour. With a baby in tow and an interdiction de quitter le territoire. No allowance for young child and the rest of the beans (my, that was a tough ride, hardest thing I've ever done in all my life ). My son is now 21 and lives near Larzac, passed his Bac Pro and has applied to join the army (regular). Why not?
Hi Andy, not quite working in the US consulate as such. I was working for G4S and I could have been working anywhere that G4S chose to put me. Before that I was working in different places around Marseille, in security. Can't really offer an opinion on the carte de séjour. It does seem strange the way they have treated an ex-legionnaire.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The carte de séjour (residency permit) was established in Marseille. Piquemal had signed my Certificat de Bonne Conduite. I asked, here in Nîmes, the file transfer... Refused by the Préfecture... Had to wait 4 years and going thru associations to obtain eventually the carte de séjour... with the date of the original request 96... It came out in 2006, 1 year after my son's mother death (Ô. D.).. A long story.
Bitterness is omnipresent.

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
I think it all depends on your mentality. Americans do have that tendency to be stereotyped as rude, obnoxious, and self centered. Personally, I went to school in the US for 7 years (I'm from Mexico) and not once did I felt like I would have a "target on my back" for being Mexican. Sure, I met a few that made dumb comments like "oh do you guys ride burros for transportation?" but I also made a lot of good friends as well.

Same thing when I went abroad for a semester in Germany. The Americans usually end up staying with other Americans and don't bother mingling with others BUT the ones that do are always very friendly and open minded. In my experience, the ones that are out there in the world traveling, seeing, and out of their comfort zone are the ones that get along just fine. The racist/ignorant ones usually never leave their hometown. If you put in the effort to meet people, learn the language and keep an open mind, I think that takes you a long way regardless of your nationality

Tammerfors

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
I don't know about the americans, but Fuck Belgium and that's all I got to say about that!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Troubled times and suspicion wide
Stop who goes there
Keep a low profile, who ever you are and where ever you are from

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Now the real question, if you are from US or some other western country like UK or Canada how do you convince the DSPLE and by extension the selection committee that you won’t desert? There is no way for you to “need” the legion in their minds because if you have a criminal record they won’t take you in practice and since you are not from a poor country then you are a Rambo that will desert/quit for petty reasons. If you make it to the selection committee stage of course.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
WTF is your problem? Feeling bad for being American and you heard that some nations or not so crazy in love with yours? Imagine being growing up as a Serb in 90s? Do you think we had good PR at the time? (now, still is not good , but is much better than then).

You have to accept that a lot of people on this planet doesn't like Americans because US foreign policy and bombing campaigns in name of "freedom" and "democracy".

Also you have to have in mind that there is a lot of people (like myself) who do not distinguish people by country of origin, rather on who that person really are and what is their way of thinking and views on world.

If someone in FFL get suspicious about your American roots... that gonna be with a reason. Guys from US and reach western countries in average desert more than others.

I know that old Anglo mafiose wouldn't take this kindly, but sorry that are facts. It has nothing to do with one being better than other. Unfortunately, much of it come down to money and more options back at home.

Of Course there is many Americans who are great legionnaires, but that's not a pint.

I have to answer to your question which was really wrong and I think .You should really deeply think again about your view of FFL an rest of the world.

Greetings!

What you fail to realize now Dusaboss, this was a NATO OPERATION, NOT A US MILITARY OPERATION. Maybe NATO should have stayed out of your Civil War. and let Russia just annex you again like back in the good old days.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No one gets hazed in the Legion, no one. It's too political. The French officers would have a hay day crying to the highest chain they can and then whatever comes down from it. If you put hands on anyone here, it's a wrap. You won't be kicked out, but it will go in your dossier and all hope is gone. The Legion just does not want to draw attention. If you do, you will end up stage cuisine and be opening cans of beans for five years and no possible chance to sign on and more, you won't get the your 10-year residency after.
I know a few pickles now who open beans. One was a Cpl, and was going to Stage Sgt but then it all vanished after he tried to make someone drink alcohol out of the "casque" (helmet) and punched and kicked the Brazilian a bit. Next thing you know... The Lt. caught wind and the Cpl is a 1er classe and opens bean cans now. The most action you will get is fighting with insane Paki cab drivers... Somewhere.... But do what you want, I don't know anything or what I am even talking about, now that the Legion is like the French Army.

I just posted an article from Stars and Stripes where 20 Marine Corps Drill Instructors, Officers, and a Lieutenant Colonel all lost their careers over hazing, some have even been sentenced to hard time in prison, Leavenworth, that is no company lock up or local Brig, Federal Penitentiary.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
What you fail to realize now Dusaboss, this was a NATO OPERATION, NOT A US MILITARY OPERATION.

So who controls NATO? Island maybe? I don't know who really give orders and made decisions, but believe me that operation was mainly carried by US Air Force

Maybe NATO should have stayed out of your Civil War. just annex you .

No, you should not stayed out of conflict, but you should take neutral position.

let Russia just annex you again like back in the good old days.

What good old days? When was my country part of Russia or Eastern bloc? You know literal iron curtain (in a form of chicken wire) was just mile or two from my house. And believe me, we was on west side of it.

We wasn't part of NATO block , but we wasn't part of Warsaw Pact (Eastern bloc neither)

Just google for Non-Aligned Movement.