a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• The Forum will be unavailable within a few hours while we are fixing/upgrading

Anyone even been in Yugoslavia?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Was wondering what it like like to be a legionnaire in Yugoslavia, particularly Bosnia, during the 90s. Anyone on here serve during that time? Was it an active mission or mostly working with the UN peacekeepers?
I recently watched the movie “Savior” with Dennis Quaid. Apparently it’s based on a true story of an ex-FFL mercenary who went off mission to save an infant in Bosnia. Really sad but great movie.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Chris, I was there too, we got flooded out in Mostar. Fortunately I was on a mission at the time so I didn't lose anything.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
We were lodged in the air ports gymnasium, Sarajevo
You make your own box
Mines was A1
I do have plenty other photos but not on my phone

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Chris, I was there too, we got flooded out in Mostar. Fortunately I was on a mission at the time so I didn't lose anything.
Did you work with the UN or US troops? Mostar is a nice town I like the river and Mosque overlooking it. Apparently some tourists go there and Sarajevo now

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
A glaziers and brick layers paradise
Some of my photos are of the paysage
The drive up to Mont Igman is spectacular
Drove in a fuel convoy down to Split in Croatia (taking the back roads because of on going hostilities...zig - zagging my way through mines)
One pic in particular i took, was of a emerald colored fast flowing river and the sky was blue, (sky blue, you know?)
Sarajevo you freeze your balls in winter
The historical center part of it is fascinating
Sniper's Alley is a must see

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
A glaziers and brick layers paradise
Some of my photos are of the paysage
The drive up to Mont Igman is spectacular
Drove in a fuel convoy down to Split in Croatia (taking the back roads because of on going hostilities...zig - zagging my way through mines)
One pic in particular i took, was of a emerald colored fast flowing river and the sky was blue, (sky blue, you know?)
Sarajevo you freeze your balls in winter
The historical center part of it is fascinating
Sniper's Alley is a must see
Very interesting. Always wanted to see the Ottoman style architecture there

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I recently watched the movie “Savior” with Dennis Quaid. Apparently it’s based on a true story of an ex-FFL mercenary who went off mission to save an infant in Bosnia. Really sad but great movie.
"Based on true story" I hope you know that can mean a lot of things. That true events in movie was composed from different stores someone told to someone else and that someone told to writer so the truthfulness is questionable .

First, his mission was not to save baby. He was there as mercenary working for Serbian side so he can kill Muslims and somehow revenge killing of his family. But transition happens in movie and he realize that real bad guys are Serbs and that Muslims are only poor victims and his wife and kid are blown to pieces because they absolutely deserved that! Yeah right :)
OK there is that overall story where he saving that baby and not caring about anyone nationality but there is also that underneath story through whole movie trying to show Serbs as bad guys which was goal of all western media at the time.
Creators of it (Serbs BTW :)) saying that in film they don't look at things as black and wight and that they representing as equally bad all 3 sides. That simply isn't true. As I remember there is not one scene in move where Muslims (Bosniaks) are represented in bad light apart notion that girl is raped in camp hold by Bosniaks. There is one scene where Croats are shown as bad guys and everything else is about crazy ,murders, evel Serbs. :) Yeah, film really equal blaming all the sides. :)

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Was wondering what it like like to be a legionnaire in Yugoslavia, particularly Bosnia, during the 90s. Anyone on here serve during that time? Was it an active mission or mostly working with the UN peacekeepers?
As I know FFL units were there as part of UN peacekeeping force and they had rules of engagement where can fire only if someone fired at them first.
I mean you don't go in war and paint you vehicles in white and helmets in bright blue.
That became especially tricky for Units coming from NATO countries wean NATO started to attack Serbian positions from air. So you have Air force taking sides and you have units on ground supposed to be neutral. :)
There was second tour where FFL was part of rapid reactions forces and I think they had different rules of engagement, but that was at the end of conflict.

We have many guys here who were in Bosnia, but as you can see for some reason they not talking much about that period.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Deja vu. I appeal for political experts to take it elsewhere. (You've) been there and done that already.
If anyone wants to educate themselves about political situation in the Balkans during 90's - this is not the place.

If any stories about LLE's service in the former country, LPC the floor is yours. It will be appreciated, but leave out the politics.
(Is that you wearing Olimpique Marseille jersey? Why do/did I asume you are a Hibernian or Celtic fan?)

At this time of year, we should all be friends 🌈;), and think of those that are less fortunate.
Peace ✌️:).

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Mémoires can not be erased unless you suffer from Alzihmer...or a knock on the head
Anyway, it's a part of Légion history