a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone even been in Yugoslavia?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Your photo number 4 - somewhere around Split? I think our member Don Pedro mentioned long time ago, that they went to Trogir for r&r during service in Sarajevo.
No, we went to Split ( our convoy)
We were held up in Pólce for over a week.
We ran out of ratoins
each to his own

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
No, we went to Split ( our convoy)
We were held up in Pólce for over a week.
We ran out of ratoins
each to his own
Hm,.. Poljice? Which is in Split area. I don't think it's Ploče - that's way down south.
Not important really. It's nice to see this forum still has some life in it.

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hm.. Split, Trogir, Ploče all have or had shipyards at that time. Nevermind, thank you for sharing.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
We couldn't go further on because Serbes were asking for one of our fuel laden trucks to be handed over to them....and we waited for Paris decision..
In the mean time..

Officer's did their thing..
With the Jeeps
Sous offs did their thing, with the jeeps
Us, me the leader, with some from the RIMA, marines , we did my plan
We walked to there, only a couple of Kms
First bar I saw, I saw, I said to the others...' c'est ici"
Arrived too late for my snow drifter stage
I emphasis strongly to all want to be's to keep all sake qualifications

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
When we first arrived we stayed at a hotel in Split. And then I was sent on a mission as a medic to take down corimex (Not sure of the spelling) containers which were used to sleep in. Our VABS were Cam coloured and we wore our usual helmets (not blue). I was with IFOR and then IFOP, I've still got my ID card with me, which I posted a photo on here a long time ago.
Chris the beautiful Blue Danube Mostar river which you make reference to was why were flooded out. Someone literally opened up the flood gates.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I can imagine who were blamed for it. :)
It doesn't matter. One good thing is that we were re-kitted out and then moved to Mount Igman for Chrimbo (Chrismas) After Mt Igman we went to Slobovic (I'm not sure how it's pronounced or spelt.)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
It doesn't matter. One good thing is that we were re-kitted out and then moved to Mount Igman for Chrimbo (Chrismas) After Mt Igman we went to Slobovic (I'm not sure how it's pronounced or spelt.)
Which year is that? 94-95? I know legion being on Igman at 95. What do you been to Bosnia? (I know you answer this but I forgot)
Was this and that time?

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To be quite honest Dusa, I can't remember, but what I do remember is that we were deployed to Kalanovic and not the place that I that I said. I've put a photo of my IFOR ID card on here somewhere.
That can't be the REP in the video, because although there were a bunch of us who were sent to Orange to do the VBL course with 1 REC, the CRAP took them all.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nice equipment. Worth as a man using it, not more. Where is the shitty part? (lol)
(Posted photo to prove your point actually, and wanted to erase it 10-15 min later.
but if I do it now, you might get the wrong idea. Proud of every moment spent in that uniform)
This was the initial push into Iraq, mad dash to establish the 1st FOB, just outside of Nasiriyah Iraq. Very small advanced party, EOD and us as Surveyors. Contrary to popular belief, Tanks really cannot get all that far, someone has to establish the FOB. Our Hummer didn't even have canvass doors, this was 2003, in 2004 and beyond you would surely die in that thing.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
This was the initial push into Iraq, mad dash to establish the 1st FOB, just outside of Nasiriyah Iraq. Very small advanced party, EOD and us as Surveyors. Contrary to popular belief, Tanks really cannot get all that far, someone has to establish the FOB. Our Hummer didn't even have canvass doors, this was 2003, in 2004 and beyond you would surely die in that thing.
To avoid the confusion; I reported my posts to be erased (ones I couldn't erase myself). They were irrelevant to the thread, so was the conversation.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Was wondering what it like like to be a legionnaire in Yugoslavia, particularly Bosnia, during the 90s. Anyone on here serve during that time? Was it an active mission or mostly working with the UN peacekeepers?
I recently watched the movie “Savior” with Dennis Quaid. Apparently it’s based on a true story of an ex-FFL mercenary who went off mission to save an infant in Bosnia. Really sad but great movie.
The REP and REI were peacekeepers in 92 and 93 (blue helmets) but all depends wat you mean with active mission. if you mean by active firefights not (getting shot at yes, firing back however not so much for the REP at least, dont know about 2REI)

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Your photo number 4 - somewhere around Split? I think our member Don Pedro mentioned long time ago, that they went to Trogir for r&r during service in Sarajevo.
Don Pedro was 2REI, but the REP went to Split on R&R since a legionnaire had family living there so finding lodging was easy and cheap