a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone from Djibouti 89 – 91 ?

djiboutijonsey

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I was Peter Jones (Jonsey) in the Legion, SML/CCAS in 13e DBLE and SADAA/CEA in 2e REP. Particularly want to hear from guys who were in Djibouti 89-91. I still keep in touch with a few, Rooney, Kelly (every now and then) etc. I was probably more well known for my pot smoking activities than anything particularly soldierly although I did perform when required, promo, stage commando etc. !!
Was also in Calvi for the infamous “flagpole event” (BOOM). Whatever happened to: Alfie Rake, Spooner, Sullivan, Tobi, Clarky, Geordy Gates, Armstrong, Geoff bliss.

Ash05

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Ah the flagpole event - fun times

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Jonsey, I was there 90-92. Alfie Rakes brother joined the REP (1 Cie I think) he was a lot calmer than his brother. I remember you from back then. I was in the swimming pool 1 year and the second CECAP.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Would there be a time when I we all ask about my friends from regiment? :)

I was probably more well known for my pot smoking activities than anything particularly soldierly although I did perform when required, promo, stage commando etc. !!

How dare you to speak about such terrible crimes! :) I think that is obvious that I'm sarcastic. There is current on this forum which advocate FFL as completely drug free organisation. Saying that that is not theoretically possible, but whenever that happens they slap me with "newer been there .what you know" argument.

Greetings man!

Ash05

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Didn't Spooner blow his hand off ? Had a false one fitted. Kicked out. Was kicking around Paris with I thumb and 2 fingers left on it . Good bloke.
Alfie Rake would still be kicking on and be successful too (a wonderfully mad man)
Sullivan, well... God knows.
Don't remember the names of the rest but I've not got a good memory for names.

ricktn40

Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I got here in 92. Church was in CCS (Capt Jessner), Transmissions remember him? Perez was the Col then.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Didn't Spooner blow his hand off ? Had a false one fitted. Kicked out. Was kicking around Paris with I thumb and 2 fingers left on it . Good bloke.
Alfie Rake would still be kicking on and be successful too (a wonderfully mad man)
I don't know any of these people but I'm pretty good with Google ;) https://www.linkedin.com/in/alfie-rake-14204718/

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Surfguy, Alfie Rake did a stage with us, CEA, I forget which, it could have been anything from 20 mm cannon to mortars. The guy was off his head. His younger brother joined up and was in the 1st company. The same easy going manner and the same laugh. I used to always say to him “Alfie Rake's brother!”, as if he was a legend, and he was.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The Assault course that I've seen on films you do in Djibouti looks hard. Where you climb up a pole of some sort up a straight cliff face. Would love to have tried it. Same with the jungle course. The Assault course in water & mud. Climb up steps jump off the top into water. Looks good fun. Maybe not at the time though... Haha.

Sounds like the 80s & 90s were good. Scousers, Jocks, Geordie nutters.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The Assault course that I've seen on films you do in Djibouti looks hard. Where you climb up a pole of some sort up a straight cliff face. Would love to have tried it. Same with the jungle course. The Assault course in water & mud. Climb up steps jump off the top into water. Looks good fun. Maybe not at the time though... Haha.
CECAP (standing for Centre d'Entraînement Commando d'Arta-Plage), I spent a year there as an aide-moniteur or assistant instructor if you like. One year in the swimming pool and the second in CECAP, not easy to see why I liked the 13 so much.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
CECAP (standing for Centre d'Entraînement Commando d'Arta-Plage), I spent a year there as an aide-moniteur or assistant instructor if you like. One year in the swimming pool and the second in CECAP, not easy to see why I liked the 13 so much.
The assault course did look hard… Does not matter how fit you are you will be breathing out your arse… There was an Adj-chef, think he was Spanish or Portuguese who seemed to love teaching in the jungle. Think his name was Lopez? looked hard as nails.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That was to be a monitor in the Jungle of 3 REI. The camp is/was situated in a place called Regina. The Legion built a road from St George to Regina.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Whats that supposed to mean?
You hinted you didn't know where he was or what he was up to, it appears I found him on the net, usually quite easy if someone has an unusual name.