a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appealing “Inapte définitif”

Viscountl

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever successfully appealed an “Inapte définitifâ€￾ verdict and made it into the Legion? Having searched old threads here it seems it's pretty pointless writing an appeal letter and I should just move on, but I was wondering if anyone has actually got a 2nd chance.

Basically I went through selection a little while ago, passed all the tests but didn't make it through commission and got sent civil along with 14 other guys, everyone getting “Inapte définitifâ€￾. With the exception of one guy who lied to ‘Gestapo’, none of us knew why we didn't make it through.

Anyway, though disappointed I accepted it and moved on, though not wanting to go back home to the UK, I stayed in France and found a job. Recently I was talking to a former legionnaire from work and a guy currently in 2 REP who were telling me I should appeal and use them as a reference.

Now while I'd give anything for a 2nd chance, I'm wondering if I should just keep moving on or if there's a minute chance an appeal could work.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
(...) Now while I'd give anything for a 2nd chance, I'm wondering if I should just keep moving on or if there's a minute chance an appeal could work.
You have already no, you might get yes (not likely). I doubt that the selection team gives a rat's arse about referrals from former legionnaires.

Troubadour

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's like the hot girl who you haven't talked to at the bar. The worst she says is no. Might as well try, if it's worth it to you.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
(...) Now while I'd give anything for a 2nd chance, I'm wondering if I should just keep moving on or if there's a minute chance an appeal could work.
You were sent home ‘at the last minute’ because the Legion had enough ‘fresh’ guys and you did not appear to be on top of the list. That's life. So you got an “Inapte Définitifâ€￾, and “définitifâ€￾ means clearly that there will be no appeal.
Maybe on another day you would have been, with the same qualifications, among the selected guys, but when you went all the others were better than you (from the Legion's perspective). That's life.
So my advice is not to make an appeal for which you would get no answer, and to move on with your present life!

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
while I'd give anything for a 2nd chance

So you'd give anything for a second chance, yet you are sitting there wondering if it's worth one or two hours of your time to write a letter which could, in theory, give you that second chance? How do you go from "I'd give anything" to "not sure if I should spend an hour of my precious time on this" in a matter of seconds? Makes no sense to me.

Now I can't tell you if sending the letter will help or not but what have you got to lose?

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
You were sent home ‘at the last minute’ because the Legion had enough ‘fresh’ guys and you did not appear to be on top of the list. That's life. So you got an “Inapte Définitifâ€￾, and “définitifâ€￾ means clearly that there will be no appeal.
Maybe on another day you would have been, with the same qualifications, among the selected guys, but when you went all the others were better than you (from the Legion's perspective). That's life.
So my advice is not to make an appeal for which you would get no answer, and to move on with your present life!

Why are they getting "Inapte Definitif" though, if it's about physical shape, shouldn't they just tell them to come back after certain amount of time, I doubt it was about physical shape, it had to be something else to stop them from rejoining ever again ?

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Has anyone ever successfully appealed an “Inapte définitifâ€￾ verdict and made it into the Legion? Having searched old threads here it seems it's pretty pointless writing an appeal letter and I should just move on, but I was wondering if anyone has actually got a 2nd chance.

Basically I went through selection a little while ago, passed all the tests but didn't make it through commission and got sent civil along with 14 other guys, everyone getting “Inapte définitifâ€￾. With the exception of one guy who lied to ‘Gestapo’, none of us knew why we didn't make it through.

Anyway, though disappointed I accepted it and moved on, though not wanting to go back home to the UK, I stayed in France and found a job. Recently I was talking to a former legionnaire from work and a guy currently in 2 REP who were telling me I should appeal and use them as a reference.

Now while I'd give anything for a 2nd chance, I'm wondering if I should just keep moving on or if there's a minute chance an appeal could work.

What job did you get, how did you even get it, UK is not in EU anymore, are you working illegally, if same shit happens to me would I be able to find some sort of job and btw are you in Aubagne, Marseille or Paris right now ? What happened to the Chinese ****s and other guys (Kenyan, Turkish, Slovenian/Montenegro), if they let Chinese continue to basic and let others go then there's something ****ed up going on.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sombrerox,

Nixon when he visited China was astounded at the size of their Guards. Don't underestimate their martial ability.
Now when young I was just under 1M.70cms tall and I was in the Hong Kong Police. The Cantonese are not a tall race.
However the Riot Unit that I commanded comprised mainly of very large Shantung men. They towered over me and could take on any drunken squaddy or US Squid or US Marine on R & R.
Example I had a large drunk US Marine arguing the toss with me. He was about to offer me violence, when over my shoulder a brawny arm appeared, holding a long baton, and a voice said don't speak to my officer like that. Stupidly he persisted and received a baton strike which floored him. These guys were both superb and loyal to a man.

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
There is almost 1.5 million of them. Among them you can find man with any characteristics you want. :) These days for with modernized army they are considerable world power.

Chas you was in Hong Kong police to? Man, you really have interesting life story.

I'm playing now PC game "Call Of Duty Modern Warfare (remastered)". There is a part when guy having flashback to old days and mission in British S.A.S. My first association is on you Chas. OK you ware Marine Commando but it's close enough. :)

Best mission part in whole Call of Duty series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2bSp4xrVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_q4gxuqPEo

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sombrerox,

Nixon when he visited China was astounded at the size of their Guards. Don't underestimate their martial ability.
Now when young I was just under 1M.70cms tall and I was in the Hong Kong Police. The Cantonese are not a tall race.
However the Riot Unit that I commanded comprised mainly of very large Shantung men. They towered over me and could take on any drunken squaddy or US Squid or US Marine on R & R.
Example I had a large drunk US Marine arguing the toss with me. He was about to offer me violence, when over my shoulder a brawny arm appeared, holding a long baton, and a voice said don't speak to my officer like that. Stupdly he persisted and receive a baton strike which floored him. These guys were both superb and loyal to a man.

I'm not talking about physical appearance or their strength, endurance and ability, here's the story:

During the time I spent in Fort De Nogent, there were only 4 chinese guys among ~50-60 of us, around 10 or so more came while I was there and they were all sent back mostly because of pull ups and other random stuff, now yea I admit most of these asians were not very big people, but that's not what I'm talking about, I was astonished by the lack of discipline they had, they were talking 24/7 and we all got into trouble a few times because of them, they were acting as if they were tourists or something and they would be all over the recruiting center, they had no sense of limitations, we were once sent to spend some time in type of I would say "tents" made out of wood because there was some type of party for military personnel and their families in the restaurant next to the foyer, and we were all gathered under or around the tent only 3 chinese guys (4th one enlisted few days after) went all the way to the fence from where you could see a city, I think everyone knows what would of happened if caporal came and saw them, it's just that they are not thinking the same way as other recruits are thinking, maybe it's different in asian countries (read: China), but we had vietnamese and nepalese guys and they were good guys and knew what they can and can't do. There was another chinese guy who joined and after he got his recruit clothes he straight hit the shower without asking anyone for permission, caporal saw it and boom he was out in a matter of minutes.

I hope you understand now by what I meant in my previous post.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Why are they getting "Inapte Definitif" though, if it's about physical shape, shouldn't they just tell them to come back after certain amount of time, I doubt it was about physical shape, it had to be something else to stop them from rejoining ever again ?

If they say on the paper they give you at the exit "Inapte définitif", it means it is for ever and ever. So forget about the Legion, you are not and will never be good Legion material. End of it.
If there is a possibility that you could rapidly become "better", they give an "Inapte temporaire", which means that after a certain time you can come back.

But "définitif" is final, whatever reason they have in mind and they don't have to tell the candidate : the legion is accountable to no one as far as its choices are concerned

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
If they say on the paper they give you at the exit "Inapte définitif", it means it is for ever and ever. So forget about the Legion, you are not and will never be good Legion material. End of it.
If there is a possibility that you could rapidly become "better", they give an "Inapte temporaire", which means that after a certain time you can come back.

But "définitif" is final, whatever reason they have in mind and they don't have to tell the candidate : the legion is accountable to no one as far as its choices are concerned

I guess then it's all about psychological profile they create about you during questioning.

Fin109

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sombrerox,

Example I had a large drunk US Marine arguing the toss with me. He was about to offer me violence, when over my shoulder a brawny arm appeared, holding a long baton, and a voice said don't speak to my officer like that. Stupdly he persisted and received a baton strike which floored him. These guys were both superb and loyal to a man.

Wow! Perhaps you should write memoirs some time. Very interesting to hear stories as such.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Wow! Perhaps you should write memoirs some time. Very interesting to hear stories as such.

I am definitely interested! Guy definitely has some life story.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
I guess then it's all about psychological profile they create about you during questioning.
If you make it to rouge commission selection and are not chosen you are given “inapte définitifâ€￾... This happens to everyone, regardless of how well you did on the tests. Basically 20% make it through all the testing and interviews... Then the legion only needs half of those, or 10%. So for example 200 guys join in one week, of that group 20% get through the testing... 40 guys remain for rouge selection, but the Legion only has room for 20 that week... So the commission picks from all the guys who passed and chooses the ones that have the skills and experience they think are worthwhile and who they think will stay for 5 years or more... They toss aside guys they think have any risk of deserting. It is far more art than science since so many guys ask to go civil or desert... There is only so much you can do. Many of the guys sent home would have made great legionnaires but such was not their luck. Such is life.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Rather than bore everyone, I am also on FB in various forums, as self, Commando, FFL, HKP and HK historical. Some are closed to outsiders but applications are welcome.

As for the HKP google what happened in 1967- IEDs over 9000 both live an simulated. I had a grenade tossed at my L/rover. Just one of several incidents.

Also on FB I have posted a photo of my invitation to the Governor's Garden Party after a very short time with the HKP.

I also received something other than free booze and food !

sombrerox

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Rather than bore everyone, I am also on FB in various forums, as self, Commando, FFL, HKP and HK historical. Some are closed to outsiders but applications are welcome.

As for the HKP google what happened in 1967- IEDs over 9000 both live an simulated. I had a grenade tossed at my L/rover. Just one of several incidents.

Also on FB I have posted a photo of my invitation to the Governor's Garden Party after a very short time with the HKP.

I also received something other than free booze and food !

Could you post links ?