a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appealing “Inapte définitif”

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Ok man,My name is Sebastian,I am from Romania,26 yo.I always wanted to join the Legion,and I've decided to try out in 2013.sorry I've been so direct... :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello,I first attempted to join in august 2013,passed all the tests but I wasn't selected by the comission and received "inapte definitif". After that I've sent a letter to COMLE to be able to try again,I received a positive answer,and I went for my second attempt in may 2014,I did 10 paliers on luc leger and 20 pullups,passed all the interviews but again failed at the rouge commision.Now,after 4 years and 2 failed attempts to join up I've sent another letter to COMLE and I hope to go there for a third attempt...

Thanks for your quick reply. Where abouts did you join. Do you have have any of the correspondence with the COMLE, I mean replies?

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Thanks for your quick reply. Where abouts did you join. Do you have have any of the correspondence with the COMLE, I mean replies?
I first joined in Bordeaux then I've been sent to Fort de Nogent where I underwent sport and medical tests,after passing them I got to Aubagne where I did the pshicho tecnichal tests and the interviews.The second time I enlisted in Strasbourg and then followed the same route. I no longer have the reply from the COMLE,the Legion kept it and I only got my possesions and money back after my second attempt.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I first joined in Bordeaux then I've been sent to Fort de Nogent where I underwent sport and medical tests,after passing them I got to Aubagne where I did the pshicho tecnichal tests and the interviews.The second time I enlisted in Strasbourg and then followed the same route. I no longer have the reply from the COMLE,the Legion kept it and I only got my possesions and money back after my second attempt.
They didn't give you back your possessions after your first attempt? If you came to rouge that means that you are kicked out either in uniform or in underpants?
Did you tried to complain because your possessions are not returned to you?

If FFL is serious organizations they probably would require signature from new recruits when they give their staff and again when they receive them back. Of course if you have that many people coming in, many of them without any knowledge of French there is possibility for abuse. But I'm sure that you could easily get you stuff back if you complained. I'm sure they are really careful especially when comes to money. You don't have to know language, but you understand when someone write down 300€ and ask for you signature you give him 500€?!?

If you are lying that's have in mind that is serious accusation. "FFL stealing money and stuff from new recruits". Hmmmm!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
They didn't give you back your possessions after your first attempt? If you came to rouge that means that you are kicked out either in uniform or in underpants?
Did you tried to complain because your possessions are not returned to you?

If FFL is serious organizations they probably would require signature from new recruits when they give their staff and again when they receive them back. Of course if you have that many people coming in, many of them without any knowledge of French there is possibility for abuse. But I'm sure that you could easily get you stuff back if you complained. I'm sure they are really careful especially when comes to money. You don't have to know language, but you understand when someone write down 300€ and ask for you signature you give him 500€?!?

If you are lying that's have in mind that is serious accusation. "FFL stealing money and stuff from new recruits". Hmmmm!
No man,I was talking about the letter wich I used for my second attempt. I guess they kept it along with my file. Lol,of course they gave me my money and possesions back,I am not trying to do any accusation against them,they are fair with all the guys.I think in the end everyone gets what they deserve,wether he is accepted or given "temporaire" or "definitif" . Mama,papa,playstation Lol. I was just saying that it is possible to go back if you got "definitif" by sending a letter.However,this does not guarantee that you will get in on your next attempt.

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
No man,I was talking about the letter wich I used for my second attempt. I guess they kept it along with my file. Lol,of course they gave me my money and possesions back,I am not trying to do any accusation against them,they are fair with all the guys.I think in the end everyone gets what they deserve,wether he is accepted or given "temporaire" or "definitif" . Mama,papa,playstation Lol. I was just saying that it is possible to go back if you got "definitif" by sending a letter.However,this does not guarantee that you will get in on your next attempt.
OMG I was really exceptical about the letter to the FFL General to the point to consider it a myth and I see 3 guys saying that they tried after that and one of them is now serving, and you have nothing to win to lie about it so it's legit.

About your attempts, what kind of people do they prefer? Desperate ones? Seeing the nepali guy rejected it seems that the part that they accept definately poor guys is a myth. What about people that wants to make a military life and they say that the FFL is the first option to do so?

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
I did read well but I maybe didn't express myself in best way. Reading your comments your friend definitely deserve to get in and I don't have nothing against people getting in that way.

I'm pissed off with situation in my country where, if you don't have connection you almost don't have any chance. For military (don't even bother to mentioning police) academy is even worse. You have to have connection in order to get in for lowest job which is nothing special for 300€.

Of course, they won't get anyone in. You have to fulfill some minimum.

Maybe i'm wrong but 70 % - 90% gating in the armed forces through some kind of connections. And this is in my opinion optimistic prediction.

Ant army job here is not good oven for are convictions. So i never bother even to try. My friends did and those who are accepted are the ones with connections not the good ones.
I was kicked out of my army's academy because a fking motherfker douche negligent psychiatrist who told everyone that I was "mental unstable" by just looking at me once and he interned me in a dead hole because "I like to do it", had no powerful connections.

One fellow cadet of mine was brought back from the military excercises because he lost conscious during a march (and it wasn´t his first time), he was going to suffer the same faith as I but his father is a very comrade of a Colonel and he stills there.

How everything really sucks when you have no powerful people around you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
OMG I was really exceptical about the letter to the FFL General to the point to consider it a myth and I see 3 guys saying that they tried after that and one of them is now serving, and you have nothing to win to lie about it so it's legit.

About your attempts, what kind of people do they prefer? Desperate ones? Seeing the nepali guy rejected it seems that the part that they accept definately poor guys is a myth. What about people that wants to make a military life and they say that the FFL is the first option to do so?
Most of the people who got in were desperate and without any options in life.If you are from a decent family and have options at home,even if you are motivated,your chances are smaller.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
what kind of people do they prefer? Desperate ones? Seeing the nepali guy rejected it seems that the part that they accept definately poor guys is a myth. What about people that wants to make a military life and they say that the FFL is the first option to do so?

It has to be pointed out, no-one outside of the selection committee really knows why people are rejected. I mean for the moment we don't know why Seba31 was rejected. Or for that matter why he joined in Bordeaux and then was sent to Paris to be sent to Aubagne. Also it has to be pointed out that if you are rejected you will be given a train ticket to the place that you joined - Aubagne, Paris, Bordeaux :unsure:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As I have frequently posted aspirants must indicate the ; Want Factor.
They must be committed to serve 5 years and obey all orders however mundane with alacrity.
Finally they must be physically fit for their respective size.

Reaction score
Home Country
Colombia
Most of the people who got in were desperate and without any options in life.If you are from a decent family and have options at home,even if you are motivated,your chances are smaller.
What about from People That are drown in debts?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
No man,I was talking about the letter wich I used for my second attempt.
Didn't understand you well man, 'au temps pour moi' (Is that right Joe?):)

How everything really sucks when you have no powerful people around you
It sucks when everything is organized in that manner. I wouldn't like push in back from someone neither, that would suck to when you know that you didn't earn what you have.

I'm sure that kind of business are present everywhere in world, but everything is OK when that is on some low level. When it comes to that level that is almost the only way things are done, you have a mess.

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
What about from People That are drown in debts?
I dont't think that would be a big problem as long as you don't say anything about it in the interviews.You can pay your debts while you're in.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I dont't think that would be a big problem as long as you don't say anything about it in the interviews.You can pay your debts while you're in.
Let's find out about why you were given inapt Def. before giving advice. Can you tell me why they sent you to Paris from Bordeaux. But most of all, if you were classed as inapt Def, the first time why did you name not appear on the computer in Strasbourg? You are costing the legion (or rather the legion's budget ) a lot of money.

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Let's find out about why you were given inapt Def. before giving advice. Can you tell me why they sent you to Paris from Bordeaux. But most of all, if you were classed as inapt Def, the first time why did you name not appear on the computer in Strasbourg? You are costing the legion (or rather the legion's budget ) a lot of money.
In Bordeaux,there have been 2 other guys,one from Senegal,the other from Ukraine,they both got sent to Paris the first day I got there.After 2 days at the PILE me and another romanian guy got sent to the fort in Paris. I don't know why they sent us there instead of Aubagne.. This is what happened too when I enlisted in Strasbourg,however,everyone ends up in Aubagne if they pass the sport and medical tests in Paris.But it wasn't such a big problem as the whole process took about 3 weeks.The next time I will go directly to Aubagne.My name appeared on the computer in Strasbourg as they let me try again after sending an appeal letter.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In Bordeaux,there have been 2 more guys,one frm Senegal,the other fron Ukraine,they've sent them to Paris the first day I got there.After 2 days at the PILE me and another romanian guy got sent to the fort in Paris. I don't know why they sent us there instead of Aubagne.. This is what happened too when I enlisted in Strasbourg.
You were given inapt Def in Aubagne, yes or no ? For which reason? You must know the reason because you wrote to the COMLE and persuaded them to give you a second try.

" After that I've sent a letter to COMLE to be able to try again,I received a positive answer,and I went for my second attempt in may 2014,"
Why Strasbourg and not Aubagne?

Did they give you a rail warrant from Aubagne to Paris and then to Bordeaux. And then give you a return ticket to Paris and then Strasbourg? Did anyone ask you why you joined in Bordeaux coming from Romania and on the second attempt going to Strasbourg?

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
You were given inapt Def in Aubagne, yes or no ? For which reason? You must know the reason because you wrote to the COMLE and persuaded them to give you a second try.

" After that I've sent a letter to COMLE to be able to try again,I received a positive answer,and I went for my second attempt in may 2014,"
Why Strasbourg and not Aubagne?

Did they give you a rail warrant from Aubagne to Paris and then to Bordeaux. And then give you a return ticket to Paris and then Strasbourg? Did anyone ask you why you joined in Bordeaux coming from Romania and on the second attempt going to Strasbourg?
Yes, I got my “inapte définitif” in Aubagne. I don't know the reason but 14-15 other guys who passed all the tests before the rouge commission got sent home, from which 3 guys got "temporaire". Most of us got the standard statement “son profil ne correspond pas aux besoins de la Légion étrangère”. In my letter to the COMLE I mentioned that they didn't tell me the reason for my disqualification. To be honest, on my second attempt I chose Strasbourg as the ticket was cheaper. On my both selection attempts they gave me warrants from Aubagne to the places where I enlisted.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
Ok, you may not know the actual reason, but why do you think they are not selecting you and giving the definitif instead of temporaire???
Because 10 on luc léger, 20 pull ups, sound very good and if we take into account that some people was selected with only 8 and 10.

I mean it's something you have to think, if they say "sure buddy go on and try again" and you keep doing the same over and over... They will keep giving you inapte definitif

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Ok, you may not know the actual reason, but why do you think they are not selecting you and giving the definitif instead of temporaire???
Because 10 on luc léger, 20 pull ups, sound very good and if we take into account that some people was selected with only 8 and 10.

I mean it's something you have to think, if they say "sure buddy go on and try again" and you keep doing the same over and over... They will keep giving you inapte definitif
I think it is all about your mental or psychological profile,based on the answers you give on the interviews...or the Legion's "needs" at the time you join up.It seems that your results at the sport test are not definitory.I've seen many motivated,strong minded and fit guys who got rejected and some fat,unfit and even lazy guys that got selected....If it's not meant for you to have it,you will not have it.