a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appealing “Inapte définitif”

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
What all candidates should understand is that passing all the tests (medical, physical, psycho-technical, motivation and security interviews) is not a guarantee to be accepted. After the series of tests has ‘filtered’ inadequate candidates, it's up to the Selection Committee (in French Commission de sélection) to decide who they'll take. If there are 40 suitable candidates (i.e. who passed all the tests) for 50 slots available, then they'll take them all. If there are only 30 vacant positions, this means that 10 ‘good’ candidates will be rejected. This final selection can be based on not really objective criteria, called in the French military “la note de gueule”. It's a bit difficult to translate in English, but it means the “general impression” the candidate is making. This is probably why those who receive an “inapte définitif” verdict at this stage are not given a reason. Simply because there isn't always a clear and easy to explain reason.
Now, what I've always wondered is why those ‘good’ candidates who didn't make the cut at the Selection Committee are not simply given an inapte temporaire discharge, allowing them to try again, maybe at a time when, with more slots available, they could make it in. I don't have the answer.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
(...) Now, what I've always wondered is why those ‘good’ candidates who didn't make the cut at the Selection Committee are not simply given an inapte temporaire discharge, allowing them to try again, maybe at a time when, with more slots available, they could make it in. I don't have the answer.
I was thinking the same. According to Seba31, he passed all the tests, yet it was rejected twice with inapte définitif, while others got temporaire. There has to be a reason why, if he got rejected once, ok maybe there were a lot of good candidates and he got unlucky. But twice???
Maybe there is something in his demeanor, that sets a red flag to the commission.

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I was thinking the same. According to Seba31, he passed all the tests, yet it was rejected twice with inapte définitif, while others got temporaire. There has to be a reason why, if he got rejected once, ok maybe there were a lot of good candidates and he got unlucky. But twice???
Maybe there is something in his demeanor, that sets a red flag to the commission.
I don't know man, maybe the 3rd time is the “charm”. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
As the saying goes ; 3rd time lucky ! It is however all in the lap of the Gods.
However there is the other saying : Nothing ventured nothing gained.

So go for it.

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
As the saying goes ; 3rd time lucky ! It is however all in the lap of the Gods.
However there is the other saying : Nothing ventured nothing gained.

So go for it.
Yea man, that is true. I hope they will give me another chance to try as I've sent the letter about a month ago. If not, maybe I am not meant to be there. At least I gave it my best shot at it twice and, as you said, it's all in the lap of the Gods...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yea man, that is true. I hope they will give me another chance to try as I've sent the letter about a month ago. If not, maybe I am not meant to be there. At least I gave it my best shot at it twice and, as you said, it's all in the lap of the Gods...
Check out the video at 1:33:39. It makes me wonder how many guys get chosen like this one. I am sure most that are chosen are fine fellows but if this guy got in i don't see why you can't. Go for it a third time. I think maybe they will see how determined you are. Maybe the instructors had to be nice because of the camera but I doubt if it would have happened in the 70s and 80s.

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Check out the video at 1:33:39. It makes me wonder how many guys get chosen like this one. I am sure most that are chosen are fine fellows but if this guy got in i don't see why you can't. Go for it a third time. I think maybe they will see how determined you are. Maybe the instructors had to be nice because of the camera but I doubt if it would have happened in the 70s and 80s.
I've seen the documentary and I can't figure out how that guy was chosen LOL... When I went they've made some odd choices as well. It really depends, maybe guys like that have nothing to go back to if they get rejected and the Legion is their only option. Maybe in the 70's or 80's people were not allowed to record videos inside the Legion . :)

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
He obviously met the criteria beforehand. They can't really test you the way you are pushed at training when you are at selection.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I've seen the documentary and I can't figure out how that guy was chosen LOL... When I went they've made some odd choices as well. It really depends, maybe guys like that have nothing to go back to if they get rejected and the Legion is their only option. Maybe in the 70's or 80's people were not allowed to record videos inside the Legion . :)
yes...LOL. But not just in the Legion, remember we had a Pakistani Guy who was Always falling back on webbing runs & on one run me & another guy were dragging him along. someone else had his webbing so he had no weight to carry as in the Video above. The Sergeant we had told us to drop him & he then started to kick the shit out the guy. Threw him in the back of a Land rover & we never saw him again. so i can imagine the Legion was much tougher in the 70s & 80s. Of Course the recruits now are different & have to learn more technical stuff. Maybe they are Looking for a % to be more intelligent. the Need Clerks % People like that too.

He obviously met the criteria beforehand. They can't really test you the way you are pushed at training when you are at selection.
Must have given the right answers. Still makes you think though.

spooker

Reaction score
Home Country
India
so i can imagine the Legion was much tougher in the 70s & 80s.
Very interesting, exactly what the guy says at 12:00 in this video.

Made in the 80s, I think.
I think Simon Murray said it best at 16:50. The whole video is very interesting because what people said then much of it is said today as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Very interesting, exactly what the guy says at 12:00 in this video.

Made in the 80s, I think.
I think Simon Murray said it best at 16:50. The whole video is very interesting because what people said then much of it is said today as well.
It looks like they were tougher back in those days but I think however that they took more people in and the selection process/criteria was not that rough as it is nowadays.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
It looks like they were tougher back in those days but I think however that they took more people in and the selection process/criteria was not that rough as it is nowadays.
I'm pretty sure you could have done some serious crimes and things, back in those days, and get in. That's why nowadays people think you're running away from something when you say you want to be a legionnaire. They've only heard it was full of criminals and thugs back then and continue to think that of the Legion today. A simple google search explains that is it not.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Back in the day....you could of been a whit less lump of shite. .à thieving non trust worthy son of a bitch. ..a pédophilie alcholic or just a junky low life no gooder. .and you could find your spot amongst us
Not the case today. ...7 pull ups or fuck off
The message is clear. ..able or not / 7 pull ups. ...you know. ..Yes you do

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I remember a guy who I knew from my home town in Scotland told me that he tried to join the Legion ( would have been early 80s) but he was AWOL at the time from the British Army (Royal Engineers). They never took him & said don't come back. Maybe the AWOL thing. Told me he never did Fitness Tests. Mentioned the Gestapo thing & wearing Tabs.

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I remember a guy who I knew from my home town in Scotland told me that he tried to join the Legion ( would have been early 80s) but he was AWOL at the time from the British Army (Royal Engineers). They never took him & said don't come back. Maybe the AWOL thing. Told me he never did Fitness Tests. Mentioned the Gestapo thing & wearing Tabs.
Maybe it's because he mentioned that he was AWOL... But did he pass the ‘Gestapo’ interview without passing the fitness test? If so, it's very interesting.