a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Appealing “Inapte définitif”

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
You can train somebody to become super fit. But its very difficult to untrain an asshole. As long as your in a good physical shape thats what counts, as Joe used to sometimes say, don't peak to soon.

Definetly. Just over the years on this forum the emphasis on certain aspects to get into the legion change. Fitness then french then god knows ! As long as you check all the boxes physically and mentally. The rouge selection i believe is just your luck.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I can tell you from what i see here. ..many couldn't scoop a poodles poop, never mind 7 pull ups or climb a rope

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Definetly. Just over the years on this forum the emphasis on certain aspects to get into the legion change. Fitness then french then god knows ! As long as you check all the boxes physically and mentally. The rouge selection i believe is just your luck.
Man I'm bit pissed about FFL's ever increasing recruitment requirements. :mad:

My first findings about FFL is that they are unit for those who have nothing to lose, willing even to give their life. (Of course men capable of being soldiers)

Reading this forum I'm getting inspiration that legion ask for man in peak physical condition, highly intelligent, speaking at least 3 languages, no previous criminal record and personality stability as nuclear bomb disposal expert! (I probably missed something)

Good luck with finding those men, I'm not one of them!

There is two possibilities:

1. FFL is becoming full of shit and will stay out of good men pretty soon.
2. Some people here are full of shit.

Only one way to found out the truth.

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Man I'm bit pissed about FFL's ever increasing recruitment requirements. :mad:

My first findings about FFL is that they are unit for those who have nothing to lose, willing even to give their life. (Of course men capable of being soldiers)

Reading this forum I'm getting inspiration that legion ask for man in peak physical condition, highly intelligent, speaking at least 3 languages, no previous criminal record and personality stability as nuclear bomb disposal expert! (I probably missed something)

Good luck with finding those men, I'm not one of them!

There is two possibilities:

2. Some people here are full of shit.

Exactly what I was thinking man....but in my opinion there is no ideal candidate and it all depends on the commision members and their mood on the big day.Even if you fulfill their "needs" , you're not 100 % in...also,as you can see in the video your physichal is not crucial...maybe mental stability is the key...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

I am full of shit as you well know. That is why I know so little about the FFL which I respect. Now however I can still do 7 pull ups and climb a rope. However I prefer not to. Le petit caporal's post was most apposite.

In my days a man walked behind the Adjutant's horse to collect the poop and put it on the Colonel's roses to the delectation of his good lady. Now of that may be a load of shit or not !

On a serious note. Are the recruiting standards getting higher to cut out the dross and to employ men who will not desert ?

spooker

Reaction score
Home Country
India
I think that extra tests like PT and stuff are there because of the competition but at the end of the day the legion is looking for men who have the right motivation, one doesnt have to be intelligent, or even make the minimum benchmark it seems, i've heard from others that the legion took those who couldnt even do the right amount of pull ups, legion has always tested men in its own ways, it is at these times of testing that the determination and motivation of a candidate is tested and those who have it right in their heads pull through, what good is 30 pull ups if you desert or go civil the first chance you get.
In a documentary about the legion there was a mongolian who could only speak mongolian(thats not even chinese), the legion still took him knowing that a man who is ready to come all this way without even knowing basic english or the kazakh(?) guy who illegally came to France would have the determination to stick it.
And thats what the legion is looking for, not 30 pull ups or a phd or a straight record, just the right motivation and if you have that they would be willing to look the other way as far as your physique or education is concerned(records are also fine)
They can always beat you into shape but they can never give you the motivation.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks Snafu for quoting me. And I stand by it. Don't peak too soon. If you get to the top of a mountain (peak :love: I'm just a barrel of laughs aren't I?) there is only one way left, down.

Actually I got this from a RM training program.

You must pass the entrance test which is by all accounts 7 pull ups, or is it chin ups? Anyway, it's a minimum of 7. And then there is the Luc Leger, I won't go on about that. But remember it won't stop there, Sit ups and rope climbing and lots of other stuff.

I think that for the swimming test - I have no inside info on this, just a personal opinion, they will be looking for more determination than actually completing the test. There will be people coming from all over the world who cannot swim, If they jump in and then reach immediately for for the side of the pool or the pole then it's all up hill when they get to Castel (no pun intended). I mean the first few lessons are going to be to try and get him to overcome his fear...

But they guy who leaps in and thrashes his way forward until the life guard has to jump in and pull him out - has potential:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Spooker,

Motivation, motivation, honesty and integrity. The 'Want Factor'.

I know and the Legion NCOs' will fashion you into the mode they require.

Former WW2 Commandos trained me !

Chas cammed up face.:sick:

Last edited:

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Thanks Snafu for quoting me. And I stand by it. Don't peak too soon. If you get to the top of a mountain (peak :love: I'm just a barrel of laughs aren't I?) there is only one way left, down.

You must pass the entrance test which is by all accounts 7 pull ups, or is it chin ups? Anyway, it's a minimum of 7. And then there is the Luc Leger, I won't go on about that. But remember it won't stop there, Sit ups and rope climbing and lots of other stuff.

I think that for the swimming test - I have no inside info on this, just a personal opinion, they will be looking for more determination than actually completing the test. There will be people coming from all over the world who cannot swim, If they jump in and then reach immediately for for the side of the pool or the pole then it's all up hill when they get to Castel (no pun intended). I mean the first few lessons are going to be to try and get him to overcome his fear...

But they guy who leaps in and thrashes his way forward until the life guard has to jump in and pull him out - has potential:ROFLMAO:

Theres a documentary of a volunteer who cant swim getting helped along with a big stick. Fairplay to the big guy though he didnt give up.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

Those puns are on a roll today Joe!:LOL:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Theres a documentary of a volunteer who cant swim getting helped along with a big stick. Fairplay to the big guy though he didnt give up.
remember in School we got tought to swim at Stirling University. I was too scared to jump in & the instructor came up behind me kicked my arse & i went in...think i was wearing rubber arm bands though :LOL: mind you i did learn to swim like a Fish.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
remember in School we got tought to swim at Stirling University. I was too scared to jump in & the instructor came up behind me kicked my arse & i went in...think i was wearing rubber arm bands though :LOL: mind you i did learn to swim like a Fish.

Thats how i learned to swim haha my old man flung me in the pool in gran canaria everyday for 2 weeks and i could swim by the time i came home😂😂

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
only bits of French i remember from School are...ferme la Porte... Le stylo…. & a few other Things.
N'est ce pas is like an rhetorical anwser if I'm correct. Directly translated it means "is it not."
Example:
C'est froid, n'est ce pas?
It's cold, is it not?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mid 1940s' thrown in the pool deep end. Trainer with pole and inflated rubber inner tube walking alongside just in front of my initial pathetic struggles. Doggie paddled trying to reach it. It worked after a short time :finger: I had to pass tests later as a 'Cabbage Hat'. (Joking name for Commandos- not normally mentioned in their hearing except by friendly Paras.)

Amazing how time flies and I can still remember my initial feeble attempts.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina

How are they going to run out of good men??? If they keep raising the bar, is because they have too many people that were able to pass the old test.

You get 100 wannabes, 100 of them can do the 3 pull ups like they are going to the toilet. Ok Raise it to 7, now out of those 100, let's say 20 will fail.
Out of those 80 that remain, 60 will pass the luc leger with the max score... so now you have a swimming test. Eventually they are going to find out that 25 meters is a joke for someone that knows how to swim. So they will raise to 50 meters, which eventually will be easy too and reach a normal distance for swimming test which is about 100 meters ( You go to one end and then back) and if they want to deny a lot of people they can add a perfect front crawl tecnhnique.

Dusaboss,
In my days a man walked behind the Adjutant's horse to collect the poop and put it on the Colonel's roses to the delectation of his good lady. Now of that may be a load of shit or not !

Older generatios were more physically fit than newer ones, that's fact. Both my grandfather and grandmother lived till they were 96.
My grandmother, used to work for a leather company, her work was to hit the cow leather till it was ok.. Every single day the same job for over 45 years.. Humble family so she had to walk to her work bare feat, because she couldn't afford to stain the shoes. So once there she would clean her feats and put the shoes.

My granfather a woodsmith, all day moving big chunk of woods from spot to another... also cycling from his hous to the shop about 25km to go and another 25 km to come back... He rode bicycles till he was 88.....

My generation is more of an office generation and there is also a part of lazyness. Near my house in Argentina, the government put a public pool with public swimming instructors... 90% it's empty...
In most of the parks, there are also public running tracks and swimming pools... Empty most of the time... That was good for me and the few people there... So most of the time when people complaing they are not fit because they don't have money (at least in Argentina) is bullc#ap
IMG_0501.jpg

parque-chacabuco-actividades-deportivas-1a775469287578a70a7f79ffc2789ff4.jpg

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
How are they going to run out of good men??? If they keep raising the bar, is because they have too many people that were able to pass the old test.

You get 100 wannabes, 100 of them can do the 3 pull ups like they are going to the toilet. Ok Raise it to 7, now out of those 100, let's say 20 will fail.
Out of those 80 that remain, 60 will pass the luc leger with the max score... so now you have a swimming test. Eventually they are going to find out that 25 meters is a joke for someone that knows how to swim. So they will raise to 50 meters, which eventually will be easy too and reach a normal distance for swimming test which is about 100 meters ( You go to one end and then back) and if they want to deny a lot of people they can add a perfect front crawl tecnhnique.

GSP in this case you can't quote just one part of my post. Read again whole my post. But I would answer anyway.

First , 7 pull ups and swimming are reasonable increase in recruitment. 3 pull ups are nothing, Everyone in normal shape with little effort could do it. So they rise that at 7 because people who are serious about joining will make that effort and train to be able to do 7 (what isn't nothing special).
That way they don't have to lose time with candidates who are not serious.
Swimming is also something every soldier should know. Do you need men who will drown if the wall in to deep water?
So I agree with this two things.

I was protesting about impression some guys who coming here making about FFL. They describing selection so rigorous as it is for some special unit. And that isn't true, maybe that was their impression because they are totally unprepared.

If FFL keeps rising a bar yes they can stay out of good men despite your explanation. For example if they introduce rule "no previous criminal record"

That will cut big chunk of recruits and F-up FFL tradition. Also extremely high physical requirements will cut of many good men. FFL isn't some special unit and they don't need superman's rather men of certain kind.

I think that FFL doesn't go in that direction, but disappointed with their failure.