a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these prescription glasses too cool for selection?

Chval

Reaction score
Home Country
East Timor
I'm really serious about this question here, not intending to troll nor show-off.

I wear glasses, about -2.5 near sighted. I'm not so worried about this issue since I've read and seen so many legion videos with EVs wearing glasses getting selected. However, during my service in the marine I've learned that glasses can be easily busted up in the field (busted 2 of them myself). So now that I'm going to (hopefully) getting back in the military again, I think it'd been wise to wear durable ones with undistorted vision.

But for some reasons it's impossible here to find a pair of thick, black, dorky prescription safety glasses, like those in American war movie. All I can find are these stylish tactical glasses with lens insertion- like ones in this picture:

http://www.thaimtb.com/webboard/173/86677-11.jpg

or a more dorky one, but still too sporty:

http://www.rudyprojectthailand.com/icona_16-08-58guardyan_black_impred.jpg

Regarding the above glasses, I have these questions (pointed especially toward anciens):

1. Imagine an EV wearing ones of those (with clear-colored lens), would you think it will stand out too much and piss you up somehow?

2. When will an EV receive the legion-issued glasses, before or after Castel?

3. Glasses come with maintenance kits. Can somehow an EV obtain this back from hold and bring them along with him to Castel after he pass the selection?

4. I have a prescription swimming goggle, will it have any used there in the early state of training? Or should I just leave it at home to reduce the risk of pissing off the cpl who check and record my belonging?

Thanks for your answer and opinion on this. I'm not that wussy about the glasses, just want to prepare for the best. If you think it's an unnecessary hassle then I will just leave with a pair or two of normal- old school glasses and hope for the best. :cool:

Cid

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
i have seen some stupid questions before, i made a few of my own, i never commented on any of them, i just cant avoid commentin on this one, this one is funny jajajajjajajaj

Chval

Reaction score
Home Country
East Timor
i have seen some stupid questions before, i made a few of my own, i never commented on any of them, i just cant avoid commentin on this one, this one is funny jajajajjajajaj

Hahaha thanks for seeing the funny side of this question. But for us four-eyed peep it's really a serious issue since as a low-life private you need to keep being invisible as much as possible-- the glasses just don't help with this at all. Whenever the sarge comes barking in for volunteers: it's always "We need 3 volunteers. ... No one? Well, zitface, baldy, four-eyed; you three come with me." lol

Cid

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Hahaha thanks for seeing the funny side of this question. But for us four-eyed peep it's really a serious issue since as a low-life private you need to keep being invisible as much as possible-- the glasses just don't help with this at all. Whenever the sarge comes barking in for volunteers: it's always "We need 3 volunteers. ... No one? Well, zitface, baldy, four-eyed; you three come with me." lol

sorry dude i didnt mean to be rude or arrogant, i didnt realize that it must be a big issue for you guys ones again sorry.

Murph

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure specs have been addressed in the threads. Search it. As for those things..It's one thing wearing a decent pair of shades on the beach or up a mountain or somewhere, but would you seriously consider going out on parade, in full uniform with a pair of those things strapped to ur head? Whoever the duty sergeant is inspecting you before you step out, you'd get a right bollocking for appearing to be taking the piss mate!
Discretion..
If you have to wear specs, they'd prolly be cool for posing in front of the tourists in the summer, but don't let the PM's catch you! :p

repman86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I can't remember anyone wearing glasses when we were in jock, charles, andy, murph, though in the brits there were quite a few and when we trained with the yanks there were many of them. Just have a basic pair for duties and a decent pair for posin en ville.

bacchus

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
f**k some of you guys worry about some stupid sh*t. what type of glasses, can i bring books, can i do this, can i bring that. how bout you worry about actually trying to make it in first, then worry about what type of gay glasses you wanna wear.

onward

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
f**k some of you guys worry about some stupid sh*t. what type of glasses, can i bring books, can i do this, can i bring that. how bout you worry about actually trying to make it in first, then worry about what type of gay glasses you wanna wear.

Well, the situation has been the same for a long time; All questions have indeed been answered and all newcomers need to do is read the FAQ´s and browse through the forum. The FAQ´s, however, could be perfected to clickable links as they are missing the ´123´ from the url. But, at the same time, anyone needing that particular information can add those three numbers themselves, as instructed in the very same FAQ-thread.. so I don´t know.

The problem is, as I see it, that people are too lazy to read and under the assumption that the former/current legionnaires here are their personal helpdesk. That might have been the case some years ago, but same reoccuring questions can be somewhat annoying. And some, not all, info is ultimately outdated, biased and a matter of opinion. Asking "how long is the broom you use to clean the toilets?" the answer you get might have been correct in the 80´s and maybe in the 90´s, may not be correct today. Or maybe someone was lucky enough to use a broom and others were to use the brush they use to clean their boots. Using common sense is still allowed, right?

I just don´t get it. All the essential questions are available from the Legion itself from eyesight to the amount of socks to bring, if one bothers to ask. And the same info can be found here, elaborated times 10. And other topics like my personal favourite the endless tattoo topic can be found here as it is not mentioned by the Legion. I mean seriously, it´s all here. But you can´t change the human, the modern wannabee wants everything to be answered now and personally to him. Individualism at it´s highest, thinking that you are somewhat special? Irritating, but that is just me and I am inapt in more ways than just the Legion´s ; )

Pfft.. what a f**king novel that became.. But the simple fact is that the loud, question-asking, all-worrying wannabees are a minority in Aubagne, they boys from Asia, former-eastern blocs, etc. just go for it. And the smart one´s comprehend that it is the French Foreign Legion they are aiming for so they get fit, learn some french and keep their heads straight. And they succeed.

-Onward

Chval

Reaction score
Home Country
East Timor
I can't remember anyone wearing glasses when we were in jock, charles, andy, murph, though in the brits there were quite a few and when we trained with the yanks there were many of them. Just have a basic pair for duties and a decent pair for posin en ville.

I reckon reading Eagle Eye saying he was wearing glasses while being a sniper. Maybe you didn't see one in the REP, but I bet there's a load of them in the REGs though.

Maybe things have changed now since it's not too hard to find prescription parachuting or diving goggles nowsaday. Will ask the instructors myself in Aubagne if it's okay for four-eyes to go to REP.

Thanks for your advice, I'll also bring one basic pair with me to Aubagne.

sorry dude i didnt mean to be rude or arrogant, i didnt realize that it must be a big issue for you guys ones again sorry.

It's okay dude none offence taken. I'm glad you're humoured.

Whoever the duty sergeant is inspecting you before you step out, you'd get a right bollocking for appearing to be taking the piss mate!

Hahaha thanks Murph. That's what I'm afraid of. With those too cool a shades, one might not even make it pass appell.

Well, the situation has been the same for a long time; All questions have indeed been answered and all newcomers need to do is read the FAQ´s and browse through the forum [...]

Easy, my good sir. I've read the FAQ and used the search but I think my main question is specific and I want opinions- so I need to ask. It may seem a stupid question to you but believe me, whenever I have a question I will try to answer it myself first, but I'm in no position to speculate this one.

You have to pass the medical first,you will not need any fancy goggles.

Hahaha my medical condition is good and my eyesight should be in acceptable threshold as the legion official states. But god knows if the diagnostic will turn out that I'm HIV positive or something. I just feel to be healthy now.

Chval

Reaction score
Home Country
East Timor
Okay got the glasses now, want to show it off a lil' bit and just as info for other poor souls like me.

What I've got are basically a pair of sport protective glasses which is designed for people with eyesight problem, it's called Exception from the brand Rudy Project.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/exception.htm

The different from other sport shades with Rx insertion is that you can adjust these babies and wear them as a main normal prescription glasses (nerdy looking), in opposed to sport shades which are, well, shades, thus cannot be worn indoor nor for reading. Another main perk is that these badasses come with safety lens called ImpactX, which are advertised to withstand shotgun shots and frags. So that when out hunting Terry Taliban in the field, you can just attached this on and voila! dismembered maybe but not blinded!

In short you can wear these Exception glasses both in appell and en marchent.

The price of the pair I got was 400 us$, bloody expensive by import tax. The prescription lens cost 60 us$. Saw the total package listed on websites for only around 300 us$, you lucky westerner bastards. >:U

See pictures and more in-depth review at this site: http://www.matsbackstrom.com/Equipment/RudyProject.html (not mine).

raider

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I'm really serious about this question here, not intending to troll nor show-off.

I wear glasses, about -2.5 near sighted. I'm not so worried about this issue since I've read and seen so many legion videos with EVs wearing glasses getting selected. :

Actually a few who wear glasses are accepted, when I was there only one was accepted. If you can do a laser eye surgery. It's the best choice.

bacchus

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
laser eye surgery? yeah, yeah mate, just pull €3000 out his ass, no worries. unless of course, he can get €3000.

Chval

Reaction score
Home Country
East Timor
laser eye surgery? yeah, yeah mate, just pull €3000 out his ass, no worries. unless of course, he can get €3000.

LASIK is super cheap here it only costs around 800-900 euros. But god forbids, I cannot afford one year to wait for healing. It's la Légion now or never.

ps. Come come people. Fly to Thailand for our excellent medical service offered by our proficient medical personels at a tadly cost of your western income. Mr. Obama cannot possibly solves your fucxed up medical insurance system soon enough so you'd better get your ticket before your veins got clogged up by all the fat you munch at McDonald.