a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you struggling with french or any language of that matter?

Reaction score
Home Country
Germany
People underestimate the power of humor and laughter, it certainly adds a whole range of degrees to life, consequently though, if there's laughter, there has to be an opposite: Tears/crying. Also powerful, so-much-so that it was weaponized into tear-gas. 💩
A platoon favorite was "If you can take a d1ck, you can take a joke!"
This Thursday feels like a Friday
[Edit] also, the Corps uses RosettaStone. As it's primary foreign language course recommendation. This doesn't include the immertion/pre-deployment courses given to units dealing with locals. That's a different story. I mean for languages in general, and since they pay more for some, (read: most) it "Bee'hooz"(any Marines on here high five that?) one to learn one to moderate proficiency, test-out, and get that sweet sweet extra pay for it... Legion isn't the Corps, and idk sh1t about that app, but I know 4 languages fluently (read and written) and don't want to s*¢{ my own d*** about it or anything ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Best advice I ever received was as a recruit from a grizzled commando Sgt. He said ; Well lad if you can't take a joke you should never have joined.(y)

It has served me well over some 60 years +. I have learned to take a joke and laugh at my own stupidity of which there is much.:unsure:

Enfin ; Bonjour magnifique fin de semaine a tous.;)

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Black humour doesn't mean good taste should be excluded. Depending on the company and timeing.
Didn't see many jokes about 9-11 here. or Lockerbie or Jews or take your pick Y'all.
Those that don't agree, prove me wrong by posting one.
Censorship is in the eye of a beholder.

Regarding learning languages, geting to learn foreign mentality as well , can help and avoid stupid shituations.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
People underestimate the power of humor and laughter, it certainly adds a whole range of degrees to life, consequently though, if there's laughter, there has to be an opposite: Tears/crying. Also powerful, so-much-so that it was weaponized into tear-gas. 💩
A platoon favorite was "If you can take a d1ck, you can take a joke!"
This Thursday feels like a Friday
[Edit] also, the Corps uses RosettaStone. As it's primary foreign language course recommendation. This doesn't include the immertion/pre-deployment courses given to units dealing with locals. That's a different story. I mean for languages in general, and since they pay more for some, (read: most) it "Bee'hooz"(any Marines on here high five that?) one to learn one to moderate proficiency, test-out, and get that sweet sweet extra pay for it... Legion isn't the Corps, and idk sh1t about that app, but I know 4 languages fluently (read and written) and don't want to s*¢{ my own d*** about it or anything ;)
Magnus you're coming across as very arrogant. Great you know 4 languages - fluently (read and written). However if you are serious about joining the legion, you might want to learn to wind your neck in.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I have nothing against black humor. Infact I think there should be almost no subjects forbidden for laughing at . It is more when, to who and how you using black humor. Also it's better joke to be good otherwise you are just an dick.

Things here (point some new guys missed) are that Le petit's intention wasn't humor at all. It was just another of his provocations to me which often include Serbian ethnicity. Nation for which he for some reason has an aversion. (at least that's impression I got).
If put that way I think that wasn't right at all.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I once got ambushed by a group of guys when I was 16, and they gave my quite the beating. Aside from feeling like i got hit by a car, I remember laughing most of the time.

After that, anything can be funny

Did you passed in your psychological test on FFL?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Did you passed in your psychological test on FFL?
Well you have to do psychological tests to get in the army, and you guessed it, I am fine.

Humor is a good mechanism for helping one endure pain, hence why it is good to joke with your buddies during grueling training if you get the chance, it can push away negative thoughts.

Personally, I think it is unhealthy to be in tough situations and have a defeatist attitude or get consumed by negative thoughts. Mental toughness and all.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Dušane,
This is actually a good chance to develope thick skin. You will need one, in Legion and in life.
God forbid you return the favor to such easy target as peewee.
(Getting on my nerves with that serbo fixation as well)

I find duo lingo quite usefull, but I'm not as disciplined as I should be.It's an old habbit of mine from school.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Germany
Joe,

Mea culpa. That really was not intended as exhibitionism/vanity, just an attempt at levity. I guess the sarcasm and the Emojis didn't come across as I had hoped. Oh well, shot and a miss. Happens. A propos: 4 is a good start, I'm humbled by acquaintances (and probably a few on here) who speak the languages I do, on top of mastering either a few Slavic tongues & Russian, or another with a different alphabet/structure along the Chinese/Japanese/Arabic lines... That's something to beat one's chest about. Or a "dead language..." I was just very fortunate to both grow-up in a home where they were spoken, as well as being fully culturally immersed in each respectively at a young age. I'll happily take the advice nonetheless, upon reviewing some of my posting it's evident I got comfortable here very fast, and forget no one knows me personally, or thereby how to accurately (how I would want) construe some of the lesser-honed edges of my personality(flaws?), which are very apparent in the way I come across in writing. I don't "forum/comment/blog/post" elsewhere, so this is also something new I'm learning about/for myself, I guess my words online are less removeable than a tattoo is these days, so I ought to put more thought into something as indelible as my internet footprint. Thanks for the advice.
Finally, since there are people reading this, and it is a spectator sport, an anecdote:
My Grandfather, who passed when I was so young I only remember him in story, spoke twelve languages. He was living in Hungary when Nazi Germany annexed it, and it was "either get with the program, or get programmed" so he found himself marching through the winter toward the Red Army. Long Story short, the way it was told to me by family, he spent a long time in a Russian POW camp with an international roster of detainees, the common language (even back then) was English, and they learned each-other's tongues to pass time, stay sane, and ultimately to survive... Thought it pertained well to the thread, and being that it was war-related, I figured I would share it.
Friday. It's Friday...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am considered to be a good linguist. True or not that is for others to determine.

I believe the best way to learn a language is to learn a few basics and then literally throw yourself in the deep end by conversing in the foreign language required. There is no need to be inhibited or to appear foolish in the eyes of others. You may be agreeably surprised with the result.

Luckily for me employment necessitated me in becoming qualified.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
learn basic words then you learn how to construct a sentence. i remember french in school... this is true
écoute et répète
And if in the FE get a sleeping dictionary. I am a certificated 1st in Chinese from the old HK Govt language school. I also have a good working knowledge of Assamese and Hindustani + some Urdu.
Then there are one or two European languages for which I am proficient.
So I remain a clever clogs ??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D What a show off.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
And if in the FE get a sleeping dictionary. I am a certificated 1st in Chinese from the old HK Govt language school. I also have a good working knowledge of Assamese and Hindustani + some Urdu.
Then there are one or two European languages for which I am proficient.
So I remain a clever clogs ??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D What a show off.
I am proficient in jockanes 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I learnt Jockanes when I lived in Glasgow. Mainly from HLI stationed in Mary Hill Road Barracks. They scared me sh$tless. Returning to my digs after a knees up at the Locarno dance hall. We all went back on the tram. They to the barracks and self to Caldercult Road further on. I had my RM medical in Bath Street. First digs in Glasgow was the Gorbals area. What an eye opener to this Sassenach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I learnt Jockanes when I lived in Glasgow. Mainly from HLI stationed in Mary Hill Road Barracks. They scared me shitless. Returning to my digs after a knees up at the Locarno dance hall. We all went back on the tram. They to the barracks and self to Caldercult Road further on. I had my RM medical in Bath Street. First digs in Glasgow was the Gorbals area. What an eye opener to this Sassenach.
being Honest i prefer Edinburgh to Glasgow.