a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARMY Other than Honorable Accepted?

Vilicus

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello All,
I am a former US ARMY reservist who received an other than honorable discharge 3 years ago. I had NO misconduct or drug charges. I was unable to attend drills due to financial reasons and requested a transfer to a unit closer to my home. Basically the CO led me to believe the paperwork was being done and than booted me for non attendance. I have been trying to re enlist ever since but in usual ARMY fashion ALL my records are lost. Not even a congressional request from my congressman has been able to turn them up.
I have shifted my hopes to the Legion for soldiering again as after 3 years of trying to rectify the situation nothing has happened. I loved being a soldier and its the ONLY thing I see myself doing. My question is am I still eligible? Would they even ask? I dont have any records to give as stated above so what could I do about that, what would be the proccess? I am in great shape, have completed 2 degrees and have NO criminal history, I do wear glasses.
Thanks to all who have and will serve and to those who have taken the time to read and respond to this post.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Welcome to the forum and Good Luck.

P.S.: At least you don't have "civilian mental health problems", although I have been wrong before...

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
just wondering why you were in the reserves and not a full time soldier. Maybe different circumstances now but the Legion is a 5 year commitment 24/7

Ofcourse they can or will ask about prior military experiences. If they do just say you were in the reserves a few years and dont tell them why you left unless specifically asked

Vilicus

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hey guys and thank you for your replies. LOL I have read that post and no I do not have any metal health issues (other than an uwaverring love for myself...JK JK I am quite experenced in the world and have learned that the best thing to do is be humble and listen to those who know better).

@ Sarajevo1992: I was in the reserves because I wanted to serve while completing my university studies. This nonsense happened litterally a month before I completed them otherwise I would be active ARMY at the moment as that was my career plan. I wanted to get time in service and pick up rank as I served while in school.

Thanks to you who have posted and to anyone else please comment. I have read some of the posts on here and my skin is not so thin that I will freak out when one of you gives a straight up no BS answer like I have seen from other Americans (sadly).

Thanks Again.

okidoki

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Dont mention the reserves ever during selection,then you wont have to mention how you were discharged..........and when they ask why you are choosing the Legion over your own forces you tell them what you think they want to hear (your choise)....they have heard it all before. good luck.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I wouldn't mention the Reserves either. I know a guy serving in the Legion right now who got booted out of the USMC and never told the Gestapo. But its your call

Caliell

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I say go for it man. Education is huge plus as long as you do not mention your military career. I've seen guys who ended up worse than you in reserves. We recently had guy in my unit who stopped showing up deliberately to get kicked out because he became chemical engineer in civilian world. I dont know if the army is after his money he used from tuition assistance though.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
If all the records are lost then the gestapo won't find out that you were in the reserves. And since you can't prove that you were in there I wouldn't mention it. Then again, if somehow they do manage to find out that you lied you are OUT straight away. Your call.

Webby170***

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure you were in the army ????????????????????

Caliell

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
for all if it comes that you fail, you do realize you can also join local police force especially with degrees that you aquired? You are not barred from owning firearms and have no criminal record. You do not have dishonorable discharge and the one you received have reasonable explanation for it. Have you thought about it?

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
I have read some of the posts on here and my skin is not so thin that I will freak out when one of you gives a straight up no BS answer like I have seen from other Americans (sadly).

at least you got the right attitude.

Vilicus

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Guys thanks for all who took the time to read and reply. So far I am gathering it is not even worth mentioning that I was in the Reserves. Thing is after (as stated before) 3 congressional inquiries there is nothing stating i was in the military other than my initial enlistment contract. Typical ARMY ( That does not mean I do not love my branch, I do, but OOOO LORD the beauracracy BS). Would this not show up?
As I said I DO NOT have any negative reports, drug use history, mental health issues, civilian criminal records etc etc. I have tried civie life and I know watching football every sunday and eating chicken wings and pounding back bud lights is just fine for some people and I do not hold that against them, wish I could be satisfied with the simple life but alas I can not. For me that is NOT a freaking life but waiting to kick the bucket so to speak so this really is my last option and I want it desperately lie,beg, steal, or cheat as the saying goes so I really appreciate the posts and advice.
@caliell: I have read some of your other posts. Amazing isnt it how COC can make or break you career regardless of your record huh? Shitty. I know some police departments allow OTH but many of them do not and say so on their websites. The ones that do allow OTH generally you need some form of nepotism to get past that hump. Also Im a mil guy not a guy who was not popular in high school and now has a Napoleon complex about my power. (JK JK I do have Lots of Local and Federal cop friends. Some are cool some are...)
@ Sarajevo1992: I appreciate that. I saw some of the posts ( I believe it was a Marine who did drugs) who lost it over a comment....he went nuts and started touting his "combat record" to a bunch of guys who have "been there done that got the t-shirt" on their own forum; dumb and disrespectful. LOL, I love my country and am a fervent patriot but sometimes....damn. Guess Im just smart enough to know I DONT know everything so better to shut up, listen, and learn when you don't know what your talking about from those who do.
Thanks again and I look forward to any other replies. I have not seen anyone comment on the fact I wear glasses. Could someone please let me know if glasses are allowed?

Cheers

Vilicus

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
@mammikoura If they did find out would they try to see if I was lying or would they just come out and ask me about it?

Vilicus

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
@ Caliell: Thanks for the post. I did look at New Orleans and New York PD. I talked to both and OTH while acceptable, were not looked well upon. Also they had enough applicants that were eligible and did not have that record that they were not in need ( at least that was the impression they gave me). As I mentioned Im a mil guy not a cop ( no disrespect to them they have tough job but its 2 different worlds as you know). Hope all goes well with your case and you do not end up getting screwed out of the Mil, or LE, or the legion. HOOAH!

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
I did look at New Orleans and New York PD.
Just looking at a program about mall cops (mall of America). I guess that is for people who got turned down trying to be a cop and just want to wear an uniform. Nothing for you but i am bored sitting at home for three weeks now after my car accident and have not much to do so i just post something.
And your post from 9.52 proves ones more that you are a smart down to earth guy. Hope you make it rouge if you decided to go to France. For the glasses, I am no expert on Legion criteria but most armies accept people with glasses (depends of course how the eyesight is)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Vilicus,
When the moment is right for you- simply go for it and "Bonne chance". If you are 100% certain the records are lost, don't mention your service. Certainly you display more tact than some of your brethren who recently displayed a misplaced sense of hubris on this (in fact) friendly forum. No-one will knock you with your present attitude.
Chas.

W1Ck3d

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Vilicus,
When the moment is right for you- simply go for it and "Bonne chance". If you are 100% certain the records are lost, don't mention your service. Certainly you display more tact than some of your brethren who recently displayed a misplaced sense of hubris on this (in fact) friendly forum. No-one will knock you with your present attitude.
Chas.
Don't think I would describe this forum as "friendly", but atleast you get it straight here. The PRMC forums are a bit sugar coated for my liking. Gotta have that "crack on with it" type of attitude to succeed in life.

(Couple of beers & a large kebab doesn't hurt either)

W1Ck3d

Caliell

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
well for one I know NY and New Orleans police departments will gladly take you. They are looking for people with education and they overlook certain convictions such as misdemeanors with ease. Be aware though New Orleans have one of the highest crime rates and the worst gang problem in the US. NY on the other hand is the most densely populated city. Overall both departments are understaffed and undermanned because of it. Their civil service exams are also very easy to pass since compared to POST test they do not involve much of math, literacy and intelligence determination but more of observation and common sense answers.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
W1Ck3d,
This is a dedicated forum by the 'Boss' to his late father, both an Ancien and former officer. Open to all, with much to discuss, varying opinions, inclusive and yet democratic. PRMC is an official recruitment site dedicated purely to information and response to queries. You may discover that your sugar coated pill is in fact bitter arsenic in June at selection. Good luck and let's see if you make it.
Chas.

W1Ck3d

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
W1Ck3d,
This is a dedicated forum by the 'Boss' to his late father, both an Ancien and former officer. Open to all, with much to discuss, varying opinions, inclusive and yet democratic. PRMC is an official recruitment site dedicated purely to information and response to queries. You may discover that your sugar coated pill is in fact bitter arsenic in June at selection. Good luck and let's see if you make it.
Chas.
Chas, I apologise if you took any of what I said disrespectfully, I can assure you, none was intended, and I've found this forum to be nothing but entertaining, and informative. I just see a difference between Cervens' approach to new wannabes, and Ninja Stoker's forum. And personally, I prefer the humour here. Seems very much like the "Commando spirit" I hear so much about in the RM Propoganda :)

I've been to Lympstone before, and I am well aware that it's a brutal selection. I attempted a mock up of it in November 2010, and I was nowhere near the standard required. (Note the previous beer and kebabs comment :L)

Learnt my lesson, got put in my place, was given a bollocking, and learnt that it was just a case of putting the effort in, and getting some miles ran. Have an acquaint at RM Condor a week today, aiming to smash all aspects of the phys, You ever been to 45 Commando? I understand you were an older generation bootneck (no insult intended!), have they had the ski slope there for long? Got some good practice there, fun times :)

I appreciate the well wishes, I'll let you know how things go (if you're interested).

Cheers
W1Ck3d