Best answers
Home Country
Australia

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Djibouti, company tours... The round shape little building is the lock-up. At times it was chamed packed.
And the buildings looking like tents (that can be seen on the aerial picture) are called “carbets”. They are semi-open buildings with only a roof, a cement floor and half height walls, to allow the air flow, given the high temperatures in Djibout'... Soldiers attending the CECAP training (Centre d'Entraînement Commando d'Arta-Plage) sleep there in so-called “lits picots” (folding beds).
Arta-Plage is a slightly humoristic name given to the place, as this word plage (beach in French) attached to the name of a city is often for beach resorts, like in English (e.g. Miami Beach).

P.S : in French military slang, “Pink Floyd” is generally also a slightly sarcastic term, designating somebody showing a little too much laid back attitude... :D

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
In the last photo I recognize Gouvalec (le gros gateau) and David Hamilton-Byrne on his left.
Correct mate... I'm at the back centre in the photo. The zippo is from my first séjour outre-mer (Djibouti January-May 1990). A damn shame that the French pulled out of Djibouti. All that history and experience gone.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
(...) A damn shame that the French pulled out of Djibouti. All that history and experience gone.
The French army is still present at Djibouti, with the 5e RIAOM (Régiment Inter-Armes d'Outre-Mer), plus Navy and Air Force detachments. The difference with the 90s (and before) is that France is no longer the only foreign power present there. The US have opened a base in the early 2000s (in a former Legion base) and even the Chinks now have a military facility. Djibouti president Ismail Omar Guelleh (aka IOG) has realised that his country (or himself, which in this kind of regimes doesn't make a big difference) could make quite a lot of money by renting space to all a powers willing to have a military presence in this strategic place...

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
The French army is still present at Djibouti, with the 5e RIAOM (Régiment Inter-Armes d'Outre-Mer), plus Navy and Air Force detachments. The difference with the 90s (and before) is that France is no longer the only foreign power present there. The US have opened a base in the early 2000s (in a former Legion base) and even the Chinks now have a military facility. Djibouti president Ismail Omar Guelleh (aka IOG) has realised that his country (or himself, which in this kind of regimes doesn't make a big difference) could make quite a lot of money by renting space to all a powers willing to have a military presence in this strategic place...
I believe the Yanks base is called Camp Lemonnier. I had no idea it used to be a Legion base. Djibouti is a real strategic area, covering the gulf of Aden as well as its proximity to “hotspots”.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
I believe the Yanks base is called Camp Lemonnier. I had no idea it used to be a Legion base. (...)
Yes, it was. Also used by the 5e RIAOM. Named after general Émile Lemonnier, beheaded by the Japs at Langson (northern Indochina) in March 1945, when they decided to eliminate from Indochina the French administration and military forces that they had originally left in place, after occupying the colony.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Not only that the bars and snack joints + the ‘Niyouz’ (“Non ! Baby in the head”) :ROFLMAO:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Did 28 days well nights in that little jail that was the easy bit, the days were a nightmare but hey you fu*k up and dig deep and get on with it.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Moved all posts not related to the subject to a new thread called “Gaelic warriors chatter” in the “Other topics” forum...

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I mean no offense but “chatter” can also mean baragouin or charabia, not just bavardage. And since it's Scotsmen, that makes the title kind of hilarious, because Scots is a difficult accent for Americans to understand.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I mean no offense but “chatter” can also mean baragouin or charabia, not just bavardage. And since it's Scotsmen, that makes the title kind of hilarious, because Scots is a difficult accent for Americans to understand.
FOC :)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Not really, I write in plain English but I like to include “yeah bro” & these things for you Yankee boys. ;)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Having to speak or write in english, is for me, a political / diplomatique concession

Most viewed threads of the week