a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aspiring Pahlevaan

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi,

I was born and raised in the United States, after living as a vagabond cook and homeless taxi driver, I have decided to take up Ancient Iranian Martial Arts, also known as Persian Yoga. America is a generous country, and I’ve been offered a nice place for cheap rent, but I prefer my life living in a tent, struggling to survive, as if hardship was a source of vitality for me. I have been permanently banned from joining the United States military, perhaps because they consider me a Mentally-Ill Muslim Drug Addict and Criminal, I will not bother convincing them otherwise, although my IQ measured in the top 1% several times, my physical fitness officially in the top 5% at least when I was 12, my upbringing Christian, my drug of choice available over the counter in stores, and my misdemeanor crimes cleared from my record. I am almost 35 years old. I am considering joining the French Foreign Legion I dream of becoming a Pahlevaani teacher and Bistro cook someday in France. Unfortunately I studied French in school, because my mother is fluent in this language which she learned from French nuns, and I heard it sung to me during my youth. I do not speak Spanish, and this is a prerequisite in most American kitchens where I live. So, I am thinking my time in this country is being wasted. No, I cannot go to Iran, at least until I am an old man. That is my introduction, thanks for your time.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jYiwwvOF46Y

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Voit and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. Good luck in your in achieving your goals. At 35 you should start deciding whether you want to make the trip to the legion or not.
At your age, the chance of getting in is slim and the longer you wait the slimmer it gets.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Voit a warm welcome.
Enjoy the forum and note information from those in Green. As Joe states you must really get a move on if you wish to enlist. Your age is rapidly diminishing your chances. So Carpe Diem.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Welcome to the forum man.
Voit, how U.S. military consider you to be a mentally ill, Muslim, criminal and drug addict and you are none of that? Did you try to join or what?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome Dusaboss,

I cannot go into details, but long story short, Top Secret Clearances are required for certain U.S. Military MOS’s...the first time I signed up for the Navy when I was 20, I qualified for many technical jobs based on my ASVAB test score but I decided against it at the time since I did not automatically get the Top Secret Clearance required for certain jobs. I was interested in the Army again when I was 30 but I was on probation for something which I had to resolve before continuing. I have since resolved that probation issue and went to an Air Force office when I was 33, basically he asked me if I had ever tried to join the armed forces, and I said yes, then if I have ever spoken to a psychologist, and I said yes, then he asked me what my religion was, and I said the religion of Socrates, and he said I was permanently banned. It seems my first two attempts built up to that final decision in their system. I have since found affordable housing in America, however I feel I would like to try joining the French Foreign Legion before I will be too old for such a phase of development in my life as a man. As for my philosophy of life, I’d say the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People is a good place for me to start...so I may quote from that book among others.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.”

“Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.”

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
what religion was, and I said the religion of Socrates, and he said I was permanently banned.

Maybe he thought that you are f*cking with him. C'mon man "religion of Socrates"? That not official religion. Couldn't you just say that you are, agnostic, atheist or something? Or even better "I believe in God, but I'm not subscribing to any organized religion"

Honestly, if someone come to me (for army job) a tell me that he's religion is religion of Socrates I would thought about three possibilities. 1. This guy is f*cking with me. 2.This guys hiding something from me (having a Iranian background this one highly apply to you). 3. This guy is some kind of philosopher (and army don't like those types)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Maybe he thought that you are f*cking with him. C'mon man "religion of Socrates"? That not official religion. Couldn't you just say that you are, agnostic, atheist or something? Or even better "I believe in God, but I'm not subscribing to any organized religion"

Honestly, if someone come to me (for army job) a tell me that he's religion is religion of Socrates I would thought about three possibilities. 1. This guy is f*cking with me. 2.This guys hiding something from me (having a Iranian background this one highly apply to you). 3. This guy is some kind of philosopher (and army don't like those types)
Yup ...agree 100%

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In America there are many non-White and Mixed-Race people who consider themselves “Christian.” I am one of those who considers my heritage part of my religion, however Iran was not always a Muslim country, and many are taught to revere their pre-Islamic beliefs, which may be found in Zoroastrianism. However modern Zoroastrians are similar to Jews in Iran, a small minority which are endogamous. In the 16th century Iran the Safavid empire converted the country to Shia Islam on a mass scale as a political counter-weight to the Sunni Ottoman Empire.

I did not learn much about Islam in America since the Iranian revolution was the reason why my parents left, and the last thing they wanted was to teach me about what they get ruined the progress of their country. So I was sent to a Christian school and taught Ancient Greek History in an elite, historically military-oriented school, when I was 12. This is when I learned about the philosophy of the Socratic method and his questioning of the Athenian religion of his time in contrast to the religious education I received with the Bible, which I was taught to never question. I would understand that a soldier who questions authority would indeed be a liability.

I first came across the concept of the “Religion of Socrates” through the writings of Albert Pike, which spoke of in conjunction with the Zoroastrian creed of “Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds.”

However in retrospect I would say my religion would better be described as “Javanmardi” which may have been too difficult to translate at that time.

People are multidimensional, and I wouldn’t limit any definition of my spiritual beliefs to just one category, in fact, doing so tends to violate a sort of Taoist principle of the way not being any particular way.

Far Eastern philosophy is also interesting to me. I studied Shotokan Karate for many years in conjunction with Japanese. Certain terms or ideograms have no precise translation into English. Perhaps that is how I prefer to keep it.

I would say my “hardness” comes from being homeless for several years, and now that I have a place, it is hard to get adjusted to being comfortable, as if I lost some of what made me strong living as a hobo.

Very few have been in drunken bum fights in the street like I have, by now I have become a local legend...although my sobriety is also very important to me, this is perhaps another reason the idea of leaving this country and joining the French Foreign Legion appeals to me.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Io_yIZglGZI

“Javanmardi is one of those Persian terms that is frequently mentions in discussions of Persian identity, and yet its precise meaning is difficult to comprehend. A number of equivalents have been offered, including chivalry and manliness, and while these terms are not incorrect, javanmardi transcends them. The concept encompasses character traits of generosity, selflessness, hospitality, bravery, courage, honesty, truthfulness and justice--and yet there are occasions when the exact opposite of these is required for one to be a javanmard. At times it would seem that being a javanmard is about knowing and doing the right thing, although this definition, too, falls short of the term's full meaning.”

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You're fecking arrogant. I read every post and everyone's replies. Surprisingly, we have something in common. I was a homeless taxi driver as well, for a little over a year, I don't go on and on about my martial prowess or how tough it made me.

If you couldn't get a rate you wanted in the US Navy, why didn't you go over to the army, the exact same day. You waited 10 whole years and managed to get in trouble along the way? And then you told the people at MEPS you follow a fake religion you made up and got yourself banned for good

You probably shouldn't bother, you don't seem very stable to me

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I did 13 years with the Yanks. Listen---

The US Military cannot legally reject potential recruits on the basis of religion. Point blank period. I've served with people of every major religion besides like maybe Jains or Baha'ai. So long as you weren't a) a dirtbag or b) actively trying to convert everyone, virtually no-one gave two sh*ts. Case in point: had a squad leader at Carson that claimed to be a Norse Pagan. He both knew his stuff and had his sh*t together, so he was well liked/respected in the company. His odd faith, if anything, added to his appeal.

Then there was a different guy at Schofield --also Norse pagan--who didn't keep himself or room clean, fell out of runs, lied about sh*t constantly, and was generally a malingering turd. We hated him, because he was a weak, dirty, lying a$$hole with a weird religion.

You probably got dq'd for your legal record and the psych stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well Voit, all I can say is that if you are going to go then you had better learn to wind your neck in. No ranting about religion and superior IQs, you'll be tested on that two times. Once to see if you make it through the front door and then once more if you get past the first barrier. The rest of the time you will be tested on your prowess with a broom before moving on to a mop and bucket.:)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Every man has their own narrative, and there are similarities in the stories of different cultures about the “Hero’s Journey.” I am not someone with martial prowess, only someone who has taken his share of punches and lived with it while surviving on the street while homeless. Did I ever punch back? No, but I learned the importance of self-defense strategy. I refuse to allow the Mullahs in Iran to define my identity as someone with Iranian heritage, and I refuse to allow Terrorism to define Islam for me, which I cannot say in humility to understand well since I don’t understand Arabic.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Every man has their own narrative, and there are similarities in the stories of different cultures about the “Hero’s Journey.” I am not someone with martial prowess, only someone who has taken his share of punches and lived with it while surviving on the street while homeless. Did I ever punch back? No, but I learned the importance of self-defense strategy. I refuse to allow the Mullahs in Iran to define my identity as someone with Iranian heritage, and I refuse to allow Terrorism to define Islam for me, which I cannot say in humility to understand well since I don’t understand Arabic.
I think you are in for some very big surprises / shocks if you ever leave the comfort of your fantasy world, if you were even half as clever as you think you are you would never have been a vagrant living on the streets.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Very few have been in drunken bum fights in the street like I have, by now I have become a local legend...

am not someone with martial prowess, only someone who has taken his share of punches and lived with it while surviving on the street while homeless. Did I ever punch back? No, but I learned the importance of self-defense strategy. .

Hmmm. This doesn't sound good for you. :)

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I refuse to allow the Mullahs in Iran to define my identity as someone with Iranian heritage, and I refuse to allow Terrorism to define Islam for me.

I like that part. Now go tell the Legion that. But leave out the other bits about being a rough and tough street fighter

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I like that part. Now go tell the Legion that. But leave out the other bits about being a rough and tough street fighter

Did I ever punch back? No,
Very few have been in drunken bum fights in the street like I have, by now I have become a local legend
It kind of contradicts itself

So when is it you are thinking of joining, if you are still interested that is..

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
According to his words he never was street fighter, he was more of an street punching bag.

With all do respect Voit, but that what you said. Being in many fights and never hit back ... Did you ever have thought fighting of back?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
They speak Persian in Iran and not Arabic
Example : Kaki = earth (as in the colour of the soil)