Attempting to re-join

hopingtobe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malta
Hello all,

So this is quite a confusing story so bare with me if it's a bit hard to understand -

When I was 19, I took the opportunity post-breaking up with my other half to try and join the Legion at Aubagne. Had gone there and joined and came a bit to my senses regarding a medical issue prior to the medical examination.

I have bunions and I was convinced that if I had done the Medical I would be labelled as permanently medically unfit, so I had requested I quit the joining process exactly before the medical examination, thought okay I'm better off taking my chances in the future when I had done the surgery and was surely fit for it.

I finally have saved up for the surgery and will be doing it end-of-month, and in reality I haven't forgotten about la Legion Etrangere, but given I had joined, immediately left prior to medical, I'm not sure I already am permanently excluded given I did that. Anyone would have an idea if I can re-apply?

This all sounds confusing and I'm sure many will ask, why the hell did you go and then leave, how immature were you? And yes I was immature, wasn't thinking straight either and had done it brashly, and I've always believed that failing to prepare, is preparation to fail.

Thanks!
R

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi R,
I thought I would let everyone know:

Image result for bunions
A bunion is a bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe. It occurs when some of the bones in the front part of your foot move out of place. This causes the tip of your big toe to get pulled toward the smaller toes and forces the joint at the base of your big toe to stick out.

One of the first question that you will be asked will be why have you waited so long to join? Because even if you joined tomorrow, that will make you 26. But let's be realistic, after surgery it will take at least a year before you will be fit enough (feet wise) to join.
You will have some explaining to do to the doctor that you will be able to do the Kepi march and the raid march - not to mention the assault course - after having an operation on feet; because contrary to what 'le petit caporal' - the big one-claimed, an army does not march on its belly , but on its feet.

OP
H

hopingtobe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malta
Hi R,
I thought I would let everyone know:

View attachment 6315
A bunion is a bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe. It occurs when some of the bones in the front part of your foot move out of place. This causes the tip of your big toe to get pulled toward the smaller toes and forces the joint at the base of your big toe to stick out.

One of the first question that you will be asked will be why have you waited so long to join? Because even if you joined tomorrow, that will make you 26. But let's be realistic, after surgery it will take at least a year before you will be fit enough (feet wise) to join.
You will have some explaining to do to the doctor that you will be able to do the Kepi march and the raid march - not to mention the assault course - after having an operation on feet; because contrary to what 'le petit caporal' - the big one-claimed, an army does not march on its belly , but on its feet.
Hello and thanks for taking the time to reply,

In essence I had just got on with my life and ensured I had a plan B (Education), I had no support from family to get to the military so I saved up on my own to get the surgery done privately. I do agree with you with regards to ability to march, I will be 26 bordering on 27 when planning to re-apply so by then should have done all the necessary physio and training, I've fortunately found the best doctor on the island (hence the hefty price tag) and saved up for the respective physio to make sure recovery has the highest probability of going smoothly.

Having queried around, it seems that it shouldn't be an issue so long as I make sure my mobility and flexibility prior to restarting training are alright (avoiding injury and making sure I get to the standards required from recruitment).

My query really is about if I am still even allowed to apply to the Legion, given I had left exactly prior to the medical review at Aubagne. I'm not sure if doing that automatically excludes you from any further chances - if I could go back in time and slap myself in the face, I would, twice hahah.

Thanks!
R

OP
H

hopingtobe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malta
Second to that, do you think 26 is too old to join the Legion, given the physical aspects are in line of course?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello and thanks for taking the time to reply,

In essence I had just got on with my life and ensured I had a plan B (Education), I had no support from family to get to the military so I saved up on my own to get the surgery done privately. I do agree with you with regards to ability to march, I will be 26 bordering on 27 when planning to re-apply so by then should have done all the necessary physio and training, I've fortunately found the best doctor on the island (hence the hefty price tag) and saved up for the respective physio to make sure recovery has the highest probability of going smoothly.

Having queried around, it seems that it shouldn't be an issue so long as I make sure my mobility and flexibility prior to restarting training are alright (avoiding injury and making sure I get to the standards required from recruitment).

My query really is about if I am still even allowed to apply to the Legion, given I had left exactly prior to the medical review at Aubagne. I'm not sure if doing that automatically excludes you from any further chances - if I could go back in time and slap myself in the face, I would, twice hahah.

Thanks!
R
I do believe that if you were permanently banned from joining that you would have been given the paper saying "inapte definitive"...so my assumption is that if you weren't given this classification, then you may still try selection. Especially since it was before you got too far into the selection process not even getting medical done or motivational interview. So I'd say do your thing, get everything you need in order, take some time like Joe said about a year to get healed up and physically fit, then try.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
The Infantry marches in their V.B.C.I.'s
@ R : you have went so far in attempting, with your Bunions and the surgery that went with, after...
Bunions are Cors in French
Hallux Vulgar, is what you meant, am sure

OP
H

hopingtobe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malta
I do believe that if you were permanently banned from joining that you would have been given the paper saying "inapte definitive"...so my assumption is that if you weren't given this classification, then you may still try selection. Especially since it was before you got too far into the selection process not even getting medical done or motivational interview. So I'd say do your thing, get everything you need in order, take some time like Joe said about a year to get healed up and physically fit, then try.
I had not received anything (to my knowledge), so that's a plus. Will be contacting recruitment accordingly with the question so perhaps I'll get a clear answer from there.

Agreed re the time to heal up and get physically fit, a year should be manageable if I take care post-op accordingly. Thank you for taking the time to answer by the way.

------------------

The Infantry marches in their V.B.C.I.'s
@ R : you have went so far in attempting, with your Bunions and the surgery that went with, after...
Bunions are Cors in French
Hallux Vulgar, is what you meant, am sure
Hello Caporal, what do mean by the Infantry marches in their V.B.C.I's? I took the time to search that acronym and I got a military vehicle, that wouldn't be too tough to do the Kepi March šŸ˜‚

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
When are you thinking about contacting the Aubagne bureau boys? Now? Knowing that they have work to do at this moment or maybe once you have had the operation and know that you will be alright in a couple of months.
If it is now, then do not expect any reasonable answer from the pen pushers in Aubagne if you start talking about medical problems.
Get your operation done and start on your physio and we'll take it from there.

OP
H

hopingtobe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malta
When are you thinking about contacting the Aubagne bureau boys? Now? Knowing that they have work to do at this moment or maybe once you have had the operation and know that you will be alright in a couple of months.
If it is now, then do not expect any reasonable answer from the pen pushers in Aubagne if you start talking about medical problems.
Get your operation done and start on your physio and we'll take it from there.
Hello Joseph,

I already sent a query through the recruitment office actually however - I didn't really query about the medical issue, I queried about if I can even re-apply given I had not even done the medical yet. Am I wasting time by expecting an answer from the respective persons right now?

Thanks!
R

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello Joseph,

I already sent a query through the recruitment office actually however - I didn't really query about the medical issue, I queried about if I can even re-apply given I had not even done the medical yet. Am I wasting time by expecting an answer from the respective persons right now?

Thanks!
R
I sent some nonsense queries to them like a year ago and still no response šŸ˜’

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi R, when are you thinking of going?
As Tom says, he sent some queries over a year and still no reply.
I would heed Le Petit Caporal's advice and not say anything and just go. However you must be 100% motivated.