Aubagne Bound

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Aha... I remember this song in a jukebox years ago. Still makes me laugh.

Very famous song... Titled “Je t'aime, moi non plus” kind of a word play that one could translate as “I love you, neither do I”. The song was originally featuring Brigitte Bardot that Serge Gainsbourg was dating at that time, but Bardot's husband took exception (one can imagine why, when you understand the lyrics in French... :D) and it was never released. It's the version with Jane Birkin (the new Gainsbourg's gf) that became famous. The song was originally censored, but over time it became a classic. In the 80s Gainsbourg released a remake of Édith Piaf's “Mon légionnaire” and became good friend with Col François, the CO of 2e REI that Le Petit Caporal must remember. They were both sharing the same taste for provocation. Long story...
And yes, Jane Birkin is English. Before dating and then marrying Serge Gainsbourg, she was married to the composer and conductor of film music John Barry.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Stay at a hostel before you sign up. I pulled a couple of Australian birds. Those hostels are full of loose women.
😆 😆 You’re a Scotsman.

Whatever you decide to do. just make sure that you don't turn up there yawning. It's been said before, you can wait 05 years to never see any action. or just turn up and off you go.
Think if you go to 3 REI you'll see action?

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Mon legionnaire is defo down to me
Rubbish! I know for a fact she was singing about me, just listen to her lines about tattoes (got those, and she noticed) and about smelling of hot sands! Heck, I was just back from the Sahara desert and only showered once a month, (whether I needed it or not.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Once a month Jonny 😁. I always learned a clean kawk & shiny boots = good soldier 😉.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Once a month Jonny 😁. I always learned a clean kawk & shiny boots = good soldier 😉.
Sure, if you are soldiering in the UK, that’s probably the main criteria, but when you are soldiering in a country where it only rains in the winter, and water is trucked in by means of jerrycans, then hot showers is something you can only enjoy when you are either spending time in a hospital (or perhaps the night in an upgrade BMC.)
And the criteria for being a ‘good soldier’ is rather different as well.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
A good drinker?
Nah, that’s only for after work.

I could try to summarise the required criteria for you, but you might not fully understand unless you have experienced something similar yourself.

So why should I bother, eh?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Nah, that’s only for after work.

I could try to summarise the required criteria for you, but you might not fully understand unless you have experienced something similar yourself.

So why should I bother, eh?
Started early jonny? 😁

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
It’s never too early for a beer.

Descartes 1596 - 1650
Reminds me of a guy I worked with after night shift at 7 am he said breakfast... A couple of tins of Gilde Pils from the garage round the corner 😁.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
In many people's eyes that would make him an alcky, however, when you've worked all night and want a quiet beer or two, why not.
Where I'm working at the moment most would consider me carré, they should see me here while I'm waiting to go on leave ...tonight!!!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
In many people's eyes that would make him an alcky, however, when you've worked all night and want a quiet beer or two, why not.
Where I'm working at the moment most would consider me carré, they should see me here while I'm waiting to go on leave ...tonight!!!
Get faced on the plane 😆
No, don’t Joe other wise we will see you on the News.. Mad ex-Legion guy drinks the plane dry then parachutes out the exit...

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Reminds me of one of my worst experiences on a plane, travelling back from Chad, with big drillers on their rotation off, after their four weeks in a ‘dry’ camp. Completely pissed after boozing unreasonably in the private lounge we had at NDJ airport, where alcohol was free (big mistake). One was almost unable to climb the gangway to the plane and puked just when it was taking off. Fortunately I was seated two or three rows behind him. Still remember the poor flight attendant trying to clean up the mess... 😰

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Reminds me of one of my worst experiences on a plane, travelling back from Chad, with big drillers on their rotation off, after their four weeks in a ‘dry’ camp. Completely pissed after boozing unreasonably in the private lounge we had at NDJ airport, where alcohol was free (big mistake). One was almost unable to climb the gangway to the plane and puked just when it was taking off. Fortunately I was seated two or three rows behind him. Still remember the poor flight attendant trying to clean up the mess... 😰
And the smell... I sometimes took the “transline” bus from Germany to Edinburgh. A nightmare... Almost 24 hours with all the stops... Nearly got thrown off when one of our empty bottles rolled down the bus. And we were only in Holland 😁.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
No problem, I reckon. I have been cheesing off a few airline staffs myself, with a few beers inside me. I’m kind of proud of that, actually, because they pissed me off first, trying to stop me from being served any more beer, or smoking, and someone had to put them in their place!

Mind you, my wife didn’t agree with me and tried to shut me off as well.

But never mind, I’ll grow up eventually. Starting on my 80th year on this planet next week, perhaps (yes, I know I have been warning you all before).

Most viewed threads of the week