a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aubagne Bound

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well everyone, I will be walking up to the gates in Aubagne on Monday. Just arrived in France. If anyone has any last bit on information/advice they could pass on to me that would be absolutely amazing, I will be most thankful! Hopefully selection will go as planned and here soon I will be able to earn my place in the Legion.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don't go on the beer the night before and have a good breakfast is all I could suggest, I assume your fitness is excellent and you are carrying the bare essentials that have been detailed on this forum, good luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Go in there with confidence, think like a winner.. Be a winner!
Good luck old chap 👍😁
Side note:: there are other regiments not just the REP 😆

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Go in there with confidence, think like a winner.. Be a winner!
Good luck old chap 👍😁
Side note:: there are other regiments not just the REP 😆
If it were up to me I would go to the 13 DBLE. From the research I've done they have light and mechanized infantry companies. I was mechanized infantry in the US Army, machine gunner & driver on a Bradley. I personally have no desire to be airborne. I don't want to jump out of planes. Plus rep has 80 kg weight requirement from what I read. I'm a 90 kg kind of stocky guy. I love the infantry and I like being a "leg" as we called it in get us army for non airborne infantry.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Nah, I agree with you, jumping out of airplanes, unless they are on the tarmac, is just madness, and rather scary as well.
Did you ever get injured? A lot of ex infantry get bad knees anyway carrying weight.. Etc.
The inrelligent guys or lazy (what ever way you look at it) store their rations.. Etc on the tank as you normaly stay with your tank. Sure the mech infantry do too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Did you ever get injured? A lot of ex infantry get bad knees anyway carrying weight.. Etc.
The inrelligent guys or lazy (what ever way you look at it) store their rations.. Etc on the tank as you normaly stay with your tank. Sure the mech infantry do too.
No, I was never injured outside your normal wear and tear on a grunt, nothing to write home about ya know.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If it were up to me I would go to the 13 DBLE. From the research I've done they have light and mechanized infantry companies. I was mechanized infantry in the US Army, machine gunner & driver on a Bradley. I personally have no desire to be airborne. I don't want to jump out of planes. Plus rep has 80kg weight requirement from what I read. I'm a 90kg kind of stocky guy. I love the infantry and I like being a "leg" as we called it in get us army for non airborne infantry.
The 13e DBLE is a good unit. Best of luck!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
If it were up to me I would go to the 13 DBLE. From the research I've done they have light and mechanized infantry companies. I was mechanized infantry in the US Army, machine gunner & driver on a Bradley. I personally have no desire to be airborne. I don't want to jump out of planes. Plus rep has 80 kg weight requirement from what I read. I'm a 90 kg kind of stocky guy. I love the infantry and I like being a "leg" as we called it in get us army for non airborne infantry.
Good luck. If you like mechanized infantry, then maybe the 2e REI in Nîmes is more appropriate. They've been recently equipped with the so-called VBCI (Véhicule Blindé de Combat d'Infanterie, Armoured Infantry Combat Vehicle). Not exactly like a Bradley (wheels vs. tracks), but that should be familiar to you. Anyway, first thing first: get selected. Tu parles un peu de Français ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Good luck. If you like mechanized infantry, then maybe the 2e REI in Nîmes is more appropriate. They've been recently equipped with the so-called VBCI (Véhicule Blindé de Combat d'Infanterie, Armoured Infantry Combat Vehicle). Not exactly like a Bradley (wheels vs. tracks), but that should be familiar to you. Anyway, first thing first: get selected. Tu parles un peu de Français ?
Sadly and most embarrassing I do not. I have an English to French dictionary and his like French work book I've been going over. But I won't even pretend to speak the language. Spending all day walking around Paris yesterday I was able to figure out words reading them at the grocery n what not. But as far as communicating I was quite embarrassed.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Landed in Paris, will take the train to Aubagne.
Without a reservation, you will pay top dollar. Depends on the day and hour you travel too. Another thing about the S.N.C.F. (French railway company) is that many guichets (counters) have gone and you now have to pay at a ticket machine, with a credit/debit visa card.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Brandon,
Whenever someone in the Legion addresses you in an officious way, just click your heals together and shout “Oui mon con” (sounds a bit like “Wee mon Cong”). That should make you instant friends and respect.