a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back from Afghan

Legion0715

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello to everybody...

I used to frequent this site quite a lot, not sure how many people here will remember me. In summary, I'm a US Marine 0311. I frequented this site a lot, as there was always interesting and/or useful conversation topics going back and forth about a very close-mouthed community. I deployed in fall of 2011 to Afghanistan. I came back in the spring to the usual things that happen when you leave for a year: family moved a long way away, I followed, found a new girlfriend, changing units to one a little more convenient than a thousand miles distant, blah, blah, blah, blah. I won't bore you. I do recall that before I left the members of this board were pretty supportive of me, so I wanted to say thanks to all the Anciens and all of my friends here. Pongo, Vet, RMD, Dis'donc, buckface, and everybody else whose names I can't instantaneously recall. Its been more than a year, cut me a break. Life looks a little different for me now, but I'm still interested in the Legion. I'll worry about that when it comes. Good to be back. I'll be around on the site. PM me if I forgot your name and you are offended, I'll get you sorted out with a Hurt Feelings chit right away.

NKD

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Had lots of good memories in Afghanistan. Hope you had fun on your rotation.

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Hello to everybody...

I used to frequent this site quite a lot, not sure how many people here will remember me. In summary, I'm a US Marine 0311. I frequented this site a lot, as there was always interesting and/or useful conversation topics going back and forth about a very close-mouthed community. I deployed in fall of 2011 to Afghanistan. I came back in the spring to the usual things that happen when you leave for a year: family moved a long way away, I followed, found a new girlfriend, changing units to one a little more convenient than a thousand miles distant, blah, blah, blah, blah. I won't bore you. I do recall that before I left the members of this board were pretty supportive of me, so I wanted to say thanks to all the Anciens and all of my friends here. Pongo, Vet, RMD, Dis'donc, buckface, and everybody else whose names I can't instantaneously recall. Its been more than a year, cut me a break. Life looks a little different for me now, but I'm still interested in the Legion. I'll worry about that when it comes. Good to be back. I'll be around on the site. PM me if I forgot your name and you are offended, I'll get you sorted out with a Hurt Feelings chit right away.

Good to see you back T.

mad jock

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Hello to everybody...

You ignorant bugger, where's my name in all that? Lol

John777

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
I remember you. Were you not around when the other Yank, Sexyarmy, was creating havoc with his......, well I dont know faggotty name? Welcome back

Legion0715

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It was a pretty unique time, I will say that. Lewis, I was working for most of my tour for a couple units, one specializing in search and recovery and the other in convoy re-supply. Reading between the lines: I got to do very little infantry work. Lots of convoys, and some patrols, but not enough for me. My little group had a very strange deployment. We hung out mostly in Southern and Central Afghanistan, and had a fairly boring deployment. That said, I lost none of my guys, and I came home with every body part I went with, so I won't complain. Mad jock, I'll see if I can't find you that hurt feelings report. We had one unique to our unit but I can't find it, so for now look up Hurt Feelings Report on google; its similar to the very first image I found. Fill it out and send it up the chain of command and we will get back to you in an orderly and proficient military manner. John, yes I was around when Sexyarmy11b was here. I don't remember enough of it but I do recall that he was a little...weird? About his name, I mean. Defending your username online to a bunch of people who don't care one way or another was strange...

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Lege Congrats. Good to have you back from the sandbox, I still miss being over there sometimes. Sometimes! I lost one of my guys and only came back with a "twaining injuwy" -- got addicted to running instead of tobaccy. I told SA11b that he needed to change his name, and he said "Yeah thanks it didn't go over well." Are you still considering the Legion on the future radar? I'm working with the brother of a Deke here who has already bought a passport and his parents think he'd benefit from it. Plus he's wiry, a fighter, and tough as the waiting room of hell. Btw, I heard over lunch at the Deke house that you were dating a woman who was a runner up in Miss Aruba a few years back.

It was a pretty unique time, I will say that. Lewis, I was working for most of my tour for a couple units, one specializing in search and recovery and the other in convoy re-supply. Reading between the lines: I got to do very little infantry work. Lots of convoys, and some patrols, but not enough for me. My little group had a very strange deployment. We hung out mostly in Southern and Central Afghanistan, and had a fairly boring deployment. That said, I lost none of my guys, and I came home with every body part I went with, so I won't complain. Mad jock, I'll see if I can't find you that hurt feelings report. We had one unique to our unit but I can't find it, so for now look up Hurt Feelings Report on google; its similar to the very first image I found. Fill it out and send it up the chain of command and we will get back to you in an orderly and proficient military manner. John, yes I was around when Sexyarmy11b was here. I don't remember enough of it but I do recall that he was a little...weird? About his name, I mean. Defending your username online to a bunch of people who don't care one way or another was strange...

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Good to have you back mate, even better you are in want piece. I'm pushing for a Tour out there before it closes for the Brits.
Doubt i'll get it though

Morgz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Welcome back. I don't think we were in contact with one another before as I went away when you were here. However, always good to hear somebody has gone away, got the job done and come back whole. Well in mate.

Legion0715

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Vet, my girlfriend is pretty but I don't think she's ever been a Miss Aruba. I'll ask her when I see her later, but I doubt it. She's definitely white. Pongo, hope you get that tour but stay safe if you do. Its as restless as its ever been. We're losing people left and right to green on blue. The ANA and ANP are killing Marines and soldiers, even some special ops types are getting hit hard. Pretty bad out there. Its not Fallujah or Ramadi, but its no picnic. Morgz, I remember you but Idon't remember any contact. That said, thanks, I hope to go back again.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Legion0715,
Good 'Hard Charger' to see you back safe and sound. Delighted all your squad made it through their tour of duty.
Chas.
RMV202910- (Mne) 20/06/1956 etc.etc.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Netherlands
Good to have you back mate, even better you are in want piece. I'm pushing for a Tour out there before it closes for the Brits.
Doubt i'll get it though

love to go on tour with you, but that is even a slimmer chance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I miss the sunshine, Pizza Hut in an ISO container and the concrete boogers, but not much else...

Good that you're back in one piece.

When I was out there, the ANA were the one's you trusted, and the ANP were the dogdy ones. It's sad to see that the ANA have been infiltrated by Taliban. They were coming along very well. And they were far better than us at spotting signs of IEDs. The whole county is fecked... the Taliban will move in as soons as we move out. Better to leave and get it over with now, because it's not worth one more British (or ISAF) life.

Stormbringer

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Through the gates of Hell, as we make our way to H
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
OK, I haven`t been there altough my country sent a small number of soldiers (some returned in bodybags) and a Bulgarian legionnaire was shot with three of his mates last year. Is there an honest way out? If they stay longer is it possible to secure a more civilised situation? You say the Talibans will at once take over. If so, all troops should be withdrawn immediately to prevent more lifes spent as you said. But what about the responsibilities for the stupid decision of the politicians to get in? I have no answer to all these and many more questions...
We have a new proverb in my country: Call him a politic and you cannot offend him more!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
OK, I haven`t been there altough my country sent a small number of soldiers (some returned in bodybags) and a Bulgarian legionnaire was shot with three of his mates last year. Is there an honest way out? If they stay longer is it possible to secure a more civilised situation? You say the Talibans will at once take over. If so, all troops should be withdrawn immediately to prevent more lifes spent as you said. But what about the responsibilities for the stupid decision of the politicians to get in? I have no answer to all these and many more questions...
We have a new proverb in my country: Call him a politic and you cannot offend him more!

Those are very difficult questions to answer Stormbringer, and smarter blokes than me have tried. I'm also very conflicted about the whole thing. It's a bloody good infantry training exercise, and I had some fun over there, but it's difficult to see what we've accomplished other than that.

The Taliban is not always the enemy you're facing. In places like Sangin and Nad-E-Ali it's local farmers popping off some IDF at you, it's the same people dicking you when the real Taliban show up.

The small arms fire and IDF comes from people's houses, the people who live there, not fighters who have traveled from Pakistan or been hiding in a cave.

I cannot comment on other parts of Afghanistan, but the people of Helmand will always be either very pro-taliban, or very anti-ISAF, enough to be willing to die for either in my opinion.

And the ANA is very suspect now. There was a time when it looked as if it might actually be able to take over, but not now. Even when I was there they were a lil' suspect. But people working with them directly on the OMLT's used to sing their praises. I doubt they are now.

That's not to say that we should have never gone in to Afghanistan, just that we've over stayed our welcome, and we're not doing any good by prolonging our stay.

Once we started advertising that we were leaving, it was over for us. because the Taliban knew that all they had to do was hang on until 2014-15. So why delay the inevitable? They know we're leaving, we know we're leaving, the whole world does. So why waste more lives? Someone should have the balls to call endex and maybe save a few dozen British lives.

In my opinion you should either take the gloves off and fight a war, or go home, you can't do in-between.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Macao
Legio 0715: congratulations on returning from Afghanistan: If I were you, I'd leave out thoughts of joining the FFL.

You served 'Semper Fi' and better for you to bond with your family and making time to spend as much time as possible with your new girlfriend and her family. Look for an alternative job if you're thinking of it: like the security sector PMC and the like or outdoor sports like tandem parachute instructor which can earn you big bucks if you can adapt to the rigours ie PATIENCE of civilian life with its laxism, indifference and indecision before anything gets done. There will be no 'mission statement' nor any 'daily orders' like in the US mil. Congratulations on your return: spend also time to help the mutilated veterans and those with PTSD. Best to you

bronsond

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
We should withdraw, and cease bombing operations for a short time, once the Tali's think the coast is clear, and begin allasnackbaring thinking they have won, send in the beast of Kandahar, and resume drone attacks. It's a win win, save isaf lives, and blow the talis to smithereens, it's almost like a trojan horse play minus the statue.

Most viewed threads of the week