Best Memories from the Legion

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
I was wondering what some of the best/favourite things the the serving/ex Legionnaires here had done? From the research it seems like there are absolutely endless things to do.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
I was wondering what some of the best/favourite things the the serving/ex Legionnaires here had done? From the research it seems like there are absolutely endless things to do.
In civil or military life? Or both.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
After the war in Algeria ended in 1962, and after asking since my arrival at the 1er REC, I had the luck of finally to be selected to go to driver training.
At that time it was done in the 1er REI.
Upon my return to the regiment I was told that I was going to be the Jeep driver for Captain Hoffman.
My mates told me oh shit man, you better try to get out of that assignment. (not telling me why)
Anyway, I presented myself to the Captain and explaining that I had only gotten my drivers license a week before.
He said, don't worry I'll teach you.
Now the reason for the warning, nobody wanted to be his chauffeur because he never spoke a word during any trip.
Since he was the supply officer of the regiment, those trips lasted sometimes 12 hours in one stretch.
(At some trips I had several extra jerry cans with fuel in the back of the jeep when there were no gasoline depots on the way)
It was good morning and good evening and very little in between as far any idle conversation went.
All other drivers he had before me could not stand it, but for me it was perfect.
For me those last two years were like a holiday for me.
When he got promoted to Major in April 1964 and assigned to Aubagne to manage the SMOLE (I think it was the social service for the Legion).
He insisted that I went also even though he would get a civilian vehicle and I did not have a license for that.
So, My last few months in the legion were even better than before.
Except for some corvee and once every two weeks guard duty in a army depot of obsolete vehicles in Marseille, I did nothing but loaf around.
I should mention that myself and two other Legionnaires were assigned to give a Dutch Marine a good time while he was invited by the Legion for Camerone. (that is another story, see photos on my web site)