[Question] Best time for selection

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone,

Before I get flamed for asking something that has been discussed here, I would like to add a few details.

About a year ago I looked into this and found out not to go in the summer because of the surge of wannabees, also the fact that many people see legionnaire’s in the parade and blindly decide they want to be one of the cool bearded men with an axe, which discredits some applicants. I also gathered that spring is a desired time to go, since the weather can only improve throughout training.

So my question, is the fall/winter still the best time to go? Weather is not a problem, you can throw me in a refrigerator for 4 months and as long as I have a Kepi Blanc when I defrost, I’m okay with it. Also, if anyone can give specific times where there is a decrease in people going through selection that would help.

As always, thank you to everyone for your input.

-Wade

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
205 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anytime your ready and if your young or not you should be military fit so why put of tomorrow what you can be done today?If you have been thinking about for over a year well you ain’t going anyway, that’s my advice!

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
If you have been thinking about for over a year well you ain’t going anyway, that’s my advice!
A year ago I was 17 with no parents, not capable of going. I had to finish school, find a steady job, find a place to live, and prepare to leave. If I left as soon as I came up with the idea that would be what we call an impulse decision. Better to be mentally and physically ready. Part of that is knowing when the best time to go is. As an American I can use any small increase in chances that I can get, that being one of them.

Ratings
905 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
" If only i had joined up 15 mins earlier "
Some thing you will hear often in the Legion
(when you join up, if you join up)

Ratings
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello mate, the best time to join by my opinion is week or two before Christmas :)
It is a grate time, there are a lot of work to do :) I enjoyed to make a kids presents!
I wish you all the best!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
205 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
A year ago I was 17 with no parents, not capable of going. I had to finish school, find a steady job, find a place to live, and prepare to leave. If I left as soon as I came up with the idea that would be what we call an impulse decision. Better to be mentally and physically ready. Part of that is knowing when the best time to go is. As an American I can use any small increase in chances that I can get, that being one of them.
Tell you what then buddy you take your time no rush.

Ratings
905 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
I second that
Do not make your desperation some ones promotion
Get your self settled first and earn some bucks or take some futher éducation
If at 23/25 ish, you still have that urge, then go for it

Ratings
79 2 3
Home Country
Argentina
You got some great advices from Le Petit Caporal and Papillon. See what lifes has to offer and if you are still wanting you can got when you are 24-25 which is when you start to reach your peek performance. It also means you will have more life experience.
At your age, you can enjoy a lot of things.
Let's say you go at 25, they take you in and you are extremly lucky and are able to do 4 contracts. That means 20 years, you will be to retire at 45.

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
Tell you what then buddy you take your time no rush.
I apologize if that previous response sounded rude, it was not meant to be an argument. My point was that I am young as it is, if I tried to join when I first got the idea not only would I have literally been too young to go to selection, but mentally someone my age has a lot to learn. Even someone in their 20’s has a lot to learn. But I cannot wait another 5+ years to go. If I had joined the US military, someone my age could already have been through basic/boot camp. AIT, airborne school, etc. I am not looking to start my military career in my 20’s, I think the sooner the better.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
257 2
Home Country
South Africa
Mate, only you know when you are ready, if the Legion wants you they'll take you, if they don't want you then so be it. You will always have an element of doubt, but you need to overcome that and decide for yourself.

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone,

Before I get flamed for asking something that has been discussed here, I would like to add a few details.

About a year ago I looked into this and found out not to go in the summer because of the surge of wannabees, also the fact that many people see legionnaire’s in the parade and blindly decide they want to be one of the cool bearded men with an axe, which discredits some applicants. I also gathered that spring is a desired time to go, since the weather can only improve throughout training.

So my question, is the fall/winter still the best time to go? Weather is not a problem, you can throw me in a refrigerator for 4 months and as long as I have a Kepi Blanc when I defrost, I’m okay with it. Also, if anyone can give specific times where there is a decrease in people going through selection that would help.

-Wade
Hmm! Well you are about to be
Hello everyone,

-Wade
well you are about to be flamed! This question has been asked a thousand times lad! You had better start soaking up the information on the threads without asking annoying repeat questions! (Attention to detail) January is one of the best times to join. Forget Christmas! As a young eleve la corvee will be none stop and the hangovers amongst the cadre enormous! (Lots of pumps just because!) and if you have all this time for questions how about brushing up on French? Always be prepared! Best of luck.

a1b2c3

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United Nations
Best time to join = whenever you show up and knock on the gates

It's not like you can go back in time and empirically quantify your selection or non-selection later on.

Stop thinking so much. Good physical shape + decent or good French level + good attitude + no physical/medical/mental problems = best chance to be selected

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
807 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Part of that is knowing when the best time to go is. As an American I can use any small increase in chances that I can get, that being one of them.
When is the best time to go? The day after you read this post. You've had a year to think about it and are now only just asking the question. "if only I had joined 15 minutes earlier" (quote from le petit caporal) If you go on Friday, You'll have travelling and then Sunday to get over the jet lag and be ready to knock on the door on Monday morning at 09:15.

Nothing over the next 17.5 years will stop you from taking a university degree by correspondence...
Enough said, get packing and let us know when you are defrosted.
Good luck. And I'll be checking to see if you have logged on after I've posted this message.

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
When is the best time to go? The day after you read this post. You've had a year to think about it and are now only just asking the question. "if only I had joined 15 minutes earlier" (quote from le petit caporal) If you go on Friday, You'll have travelling and then Sunday to get over the jet lag and be ready to knock on the door on Monday morning at 09:15.

Nothing over the next 17.5 years will stop you from taking a university degree by correspondence...
Enough said, get packing and let us know when you are defrosted.
Good luck. And I'll be checking to see if you have logged on after I've posted this message.
I have paid rent up until November for my apartment. Poor insight on my part if I decided to go earlier, probably can’t get that money back. Honestly at this point you all are right. I’ve been thinking about this for so long and god knows I don’t want to be a Dusa on a smaller scale (no offense dusa you seem like good dude).

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
205 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
You no why most of you don’t go ? You ain’t got a reason to go simple, when we talk about motivation it’s about the reason and why! Half of you can’t do 7 chins and you hang your washing on the line like verbal shit, don’t knock others on the form buddy unless you are setting an example and with your rent paid till November and snow at Christmas I would wait till next summer if I was sat in my pyjamas!
You could always find a homeless person give them some love and get the next plane in the morning let us no how you get on.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Ratings
205 1
Home Country
United Kingdom
Best time to join = whenever you show up and knock on the gates

It's not like you can go back in time and empirically quantify your selection or non-selection later on.

Stop thinking so much. Good physical shape + decent or good French level + good attitude + no physical/medical/mental problems = best chance to be selected

mental problems = best chance to be selected
Think you need a bit of that to make a good soldier so some ranker shouts and without much thought you act! We know the score when we join it’s on the tin so on that basis I think a little bit of controlled madness is ok

Ratings
8 1
Home Country
United States
You no why most of you don’t go ? You ain’t got a reason to go simple, when we talk about motivation it’s about the reason and why! Half of you can’t do 7 chins and you hang your washing on the line like verbal shit, don’t knock others on the form buddy unless you are setting an example and with your rent paid till November and snow at Christmas I would wait till next summer if I was sat in my pyjamas!
You could always find a homeless person give them some love and get the next plane in the morning let us no how you get on.
I was never knocking anyone else on the forum, mentioning dusa was simply a hallow joke about not leaving yet. He has his reasons for not being at the gates, I have mine. Nor was I making an example with my rent. I had nothing up until a month ago, I slept in peoples driveways, cars, couches when I was lucky. Then I turned it around found a job and yes, I’m proud that I was able to pay that rent. I worked for it. There are people in far worse conditions than I was ever in, but by no means was I lucky, fortunate, or privelidged. I don’t see the reason in mentioning the rent, it was a valid reason. My short term goal was to get a consistent place to live, and in the process I blocked myself from leaving for another few months. Hense why I brought it up to Joseph that i had a reason to be here until the winter. You all tell me to wait until I’m older and then give me a hard time for not being in Aubagne by dinner time.

Ratings
905 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
Dusaboss has a herd of goats on heat at the mo. ..his hands are tiede, or tied (what ever. ..just make your hobby worthile )

mark wake

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United States
I was never knocking anyone else on the forum, mentioning dusa was simply a hallow joke about not leaving yet. He has his reasons for not being at the gates, I have mine. Nor was I making an example with my rent. I had nothing up until a month ago, I slept in peoples driveways, cars, couches when I was lucky. Then I turned it around found a job and yes, I’m proud that I was able to pay that rent. I worked for it. There are people in far worse conditions than I was ever in, but by no means was I lucky, fortunate, or privelidged. I don’t see the reason in mentioning the rent, it was a valid reason. My short term goal was to get a consistent place to live, and in the process I blocked myself from leaving for another few months. Hense why I brought it up to Joseph that i had a reason to be here until the winter. You all tell me to wait until I’m older and then give me a hard time for not being in Aubagne by dinner time.
Well whatever you do use your time wisely! Lots of greens here had it even worser then you believe it or not. and the legion was the only option in life left! So deja vu! A lot of it is mindset. I am not going to blow sunshine up your ass! Or give you a lecture. A man makes his own destiny. As to why I prefer January? Less talkers /walkers and everybody’s equal in the shit weather! That’s just me. as for Dusa? He’s basically our forum mascot! Enough said! Get yourself together and make a decision one way or the other.

Most viewed threads of the week