a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best War Film & TV series

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
more of a series... the ex light infantry guys will like this ..lol. met some 2 LI guys. Good Lads.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
mind you...could be Green Jackets or Green Howards....:D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
on the subject of Russians.. i spent some time in hospital with a stalingrad vet, a German. He told me the Russian soldiers also had nothing to eat.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Even Stalin didn't dare tax the vodka
also had in 95 an old couple live next to me , the guy was in the U Boats. He was sunk & spent some years in scotland. he developed parkinsons disease later but i still saw & said hello to his wife after he died(i moved to my present house). He had apple trees in his garden always was nice to my 2 sons gave them apples (no sick jokes please) was a decent man.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Worked at Tay valley joiners. .and there was this german who had done Stalingrad,. Caught frost bite and had his toes amputated
Was a lot of ex P.O.Ws who settled in my area after the war and their liberation. ..POW camp where i lived
The mother, first time she ate chocolate was from a detainee
They were almost in semi liberty

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Worked at Tay valley joiners. .and there was this german who had done Stalingrad,. Caught frost bite and had his toes amputated
Was a lot of ex P.O.Ws who settled in my area after the war and their liberation. ..POW camp where i lived
The mother, first time she ate chocolate was from a detainee
They were almost in semi liberty
was interesting to meet these guys. In the Hospital the stalingrad vet told me some things that he would never tell another person who was never in the military. he had cancer. he knew he was going & we ate dinner together & he i think liked talking to me.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
was interesting to meet these guys. In the Hospital the stalingrad vet told me some things that he would never tell another person who was never in the military. he had cancer. he knew he was going & we ate dinner together & he i think liked talking to me.
My grandfather was a fighter pilot in the Luftwaffe, and his brother was killed south of Leningrad in 1943, got all the war grave commission details, down to company and dog tag numbers.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My grandfather was a fighter pilot in the Luftwaffe, and his brother was killed south of Leningrad in 1943, got all the war grave commission details, down to company and dog tag numbers.
for me it was a privelige to speak to these guys. I was told that the British infantry in Celle were well trained, he saw them running & said the German Bundeswehr are not the same as his time but the British infantry he saw in celle were.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A bit long & drawn out but maybe I missed the deeper meaning :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
gonna watch this ...can't remember if I saw it or not.