a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best War Film & TV series

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi sexpert, thanks for sharing this with us. I'll admit that I didn't know that he had passed away, As for joining the TA, well good on ya! And not just anyone, TA paras.
His family can be proud of him, because if needed, he was there and trained for.
RIP.
I did read somewhere that he did visit some Camps always shook hands..etc. Was the real deal as the yanks say :) sadly they turned him down for James Bond.. Think because he was too Direct...some BS like that.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Whist on the subject of famous actors who served. ..i remember being told (by the mother of all persons, hard wing pacafist btw)...An américain actor called Audy Murphy or some thing like that. .being the most decorated G.I.of the 2 WWAR. .can't recall any of his films
Where did he serve, Europe or Pacifique ? Wich unit and rank? Medals / Citations etc?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Whist on the subject of famous actors who served. ..i remember being told (by the mother of all persons, hard wing pacafist btw)...An américain actor called Audy Murphy or some thing like that. .being the most decorated G.I.of the 2 WWAR. .can't recall any of his films
Where did he serve, Europe or Pacifique ? Wich unit and rank? Medals / Citations etc?
Hi Le Petit Caporal. A joke?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Non, not at all...
There truly was an ex Holly wood actor (several films under his belt)
Who was the or one of the most decorated 2 nd world war héros
À plane crash or tax évasion. ..plenty of rumours concerning his death (body was never recovered?)
May be some Yanquee on board can tell us more on the subject
Am googiling now

Update
Source: Wikipedia
Born the 20. 6.24 in Kingston, Texas
Audie Léon Murphy, was a singer, song writer, composeur and actor
Died the 28.5.71 in Roanoke, near Virgina
(Who the eff is Virgina?)
Was one of the most decorated soldier of the 2nd world war
30 medals including the medal of honor. For his bravery at Colmar in Alsace France (FAO : Rapace)
Are some films of war but mostly cowboy
If some one can up load a Sassenach version of one of his films, i would appreciated, mucho gracias !

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
He also played in westerns. One of his best known heroic acts was to call a barrage down his own position whilst they were under siege. He The most decorated soldier during WW11