a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best War Film

Phoenix2005

Reaction score
Right folks, what are your favorite war films of all time. Mine personally are Platoon, Saving Private Ryan and Bridge Over the River Kwai.;)

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
GI jane....so dont laugh..its only a movie..she did beat the shit outta that guy with her hands tied behind her back..mmmm??haha
Bridge over River Kwai was really good!

Last edited:

33Lilacs

Reaction score
Empire of the Sun (from 1987)

and I almost forgot!!

The Last of the Mohicans (from 1992)

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
How about the great escape it is a classic.. loved that one..
with Charles Bronson

Last edited:

Phoenix2005

Reaction score
Of course Empire of the Sun is a classic. A story of survival against all odds.

33Lilacs

Reaction score
I'm just about to watch Saving Private Ryan - never seen it!
Since everyone on here and everywhere else has acclaimed it to be the best war film ever, I thought I really should see it...

Will log off now, before someone tells me how it ends... ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now that I've seen it all I can say is - it's a keeper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
H

hannibal

Unregistered
The Last of the Mohicans (from 1992)
I CANNOT BELIEVE!!!!!!!!! tHIS IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES!!! I'M PASSIONATE RESEARCHER OF THE FRENCH-INDIAN WARS IN NORTH AMERICA EVER SINCE I HAVE SEEN THIS MOVIE IN THE CINEMA IN 1992!!! I am just reading Rene Chartrand's book about French fortresses in North America. I didn't mention General Montcalm in vain in one of my previous posts on this forum...:D

I like movies which are put in 17th and 18th century. John Malkovich is just a perfect person for such roles like in Dangerous Liaisons, where he played with Glenn Close.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
zulu, platoon,battel of the bulge....(martin shaw singing the kapi blank, )m.a.s.h, run silent run deep, all quite on the westeren front, and custers last stand (nice to see then cotten pickin injins win one haha )any naim film appocolips now was a bit much for me but had good bits in it,any war film with the duke or audi murffy, none with ronnie ray..gun he was a poor actor in my opinion lol:D

Bram

Reaction score
Home Country
Belgium
Warriors, about the British army in Bonsia. And yes, Last of the Mohicans sure is a good one too. 84 Charlie Mopic, about Vietnam

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
All quite on the Westen Front. Saving Private Ryan. Cross of Iron.
The Great Escape,(especially Steve Mc Queen on the motorbike).

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
Bonjour Phoenix,

I've been to the Bridge. The center span was bombed out but the original side sections were still present. The Brits mantain a War Memorial Cemetery next to the bridge. Can't spell the name. Visiting this cemetery is what got me to adopt one of my life's "callings"; checking on cemeteries and memorial monuments to war dead.

Other good war movies:

"Z" re the Greek colonels
Algers
Exodus
Tora, Tora,Tora
Death Before Dishonor
M*A*S*H (Major Margaret Houlihan [Loretta Swit] can get excused from my duty roster any time she just asks - or moves the eyebrows.)

Saluations,
BobW

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
Bonjour Hannibal,

One of America's military heros is Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers fame. He led a commando unit during the French and Indian Wars. History says he made daring raids on French settlements from 1758-1763. Although he was a loyalist, history is not a big theme in American culture so this doesn't matter.

This very difficult era of US history got my attention when I was reading up on the US revolution. Twelve of General Washington's generals were veterans of the French and Indian Wars. Although British General Gage had better forces at the start, the neglect of the American experience in the French and Indian Wars was a mistake.

As an aside, the poem by US poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow "Evangeline" uses as historical background the deportation of several thousand Acadians from Nova Scotia (Canada) in 1755. This event was one of the beginnings of the French and Indian Wars.

Saluations,
Bob

H

hannibal

Unregistered
My favourite films on war thematic (although I don't watch many) :
- Iron Cross (good pick) with James Coburn
- Taalvisota and another Finnish war movie whose title slipped off my mind, but it is abotu a small Finnish bicycle recon unit behind Soviet line. The commander just finds out that his girlfriend was killed in ambush...
- Warriors with Ioan Gruffudd (one of the most realistic films about the war in Bosnia - one of the films that will probably never be broadcasted on Croatian TV, hehe...). I like that scene when the Serbs are checking the passports and the Serbs says with original despise "Neka Poljak spasava Turcine" or something like that referring to Sergeant Sochanik who was of Polish ancestry... hehehe... And the he spits in the ground... Now that was original!!! hehehe :D
- Last of the Mohicans - I am really amazed that I have found here some guys and girls who are also fond of this movie. I was starting to think I am the only person on this planet who liked it... I wish they would one day make a film about the Siege of Quebec, the Battle on the Abraham Plains or even better about the Braddock's Defeat at Fort Duquesne. Now that would be a movie about a real 18th century ambush. George Washington was also jerking around with BOb W's mentioned General Gage (at that time Lt.Col).
and of course I am expecting now Clint Eastwoods two part film about Iwo Jima, from Us and Japanese perspective.

But generally one of the best movies I have seen in the last couple of years was Mel Gibson's "Passion of Christ". he definately moved the movie standards into new level... To make a movie in original languages spoken back then like Arhaic Arameic which is spoken by only about 4000 people today and Latin it was a special pleasure especially for me as I learned latin for about three years and it was a very emotional moment hearing Latin being spoken alive and that in old Roman Latin which was a bit different than the Latin we know today.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
BobW said:
Bonjour Phoenix,

I've been to the Bridge. The center span was bombed out but the original side sections were still present. The Brits mantain a War Memorial Cemetery next to the bridge. Can't spell the name. Visiting this cemetery is what got me to adopt one of my life's "callings"; checking on cemeteries and memorial monuments to war dead.

Other good war movies:

"Z" re the Greek colonels
Algers
Exodus
Tora, Tora,Tora
Death Before Dishonor
M*A*S*H (Major Margaret Houlihan [Loretta Swit] can get excused from my duty roster any time she just asks - or moves the eyebrows.)

Saluations,
BobW
aah bob you got the hottes for hot lips eh lol :D

Syd Moore

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Full metal jacket was a beezer! I had the audio cassette of the sound track to the movie. I used to play it on my walkman when I was out in Guyane and drinking taff it really f**ked my head up.Certainly the best war or anti-war film ever made was All quiet on the western front based on E.M.Remarque's book."These boots were made for walking"

Greedic

Reaction score
True, each chapter feel like a movie itself. The extra DVD with the members of Easy company re-telling the stories and the 10 chapter are well worth the money.