a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Birth certificate

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
in the offical site says
Foreign applicants

"A complete birth certificate with filiation obtained less than six months before (ideally multilingual). "

Now in my country the nuterion asks for 160 $ for translations and signature with approval it's almost the cost of my plane ticket
Does someone know if I need to translate it or I can bring the original with me or a copy.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Please post the URL where you found this info.
Up until now, for joining you do NOT need to bring a birth certificate. Later on in your career, maybe.

To all, please be careful of what you print without backup (I'm not pointing at you LDLD), it's just that at this moment in time, things are very sketchy, so please, even if it's only to ask a question - provide the source of information.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
Please post the URL where you found this info.
Up until now, for joining you do NOT need to bring a birth certificate. Later on in your career, maybe.

To all, please be careful of what you print without backup (I'm not pointing at you LDLD), it's just that at this moment in time, things are very sketchy, so please, even if it's only to ask a question - provide the source of information.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
OK, LDLD, if you look at the top right of the page, you'll notice the date 25 May 2013. It is WAY to old to worry about. We haven't heard of any changes in the admin. which has changed since then. So don't worry.

Where did you find this, can you peovide a URL?

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
OK, LDLD, if you look at the top right of the page, you'll notice the date 25 May 2013. It is WAY to old to worry about. We haven't heard of any changes in the admin. which has changed since then. So don't worry.

Where did you find this, can you peovide a URL? it's the legion offical site https://en.legion-recrute.com
So no need to translate it to french? Maybe bring a copy in case? with my real driver's license a paper copy of my I.D and passport it should peovide enough prove that i'm the same person.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
what I would recommend that you do, is check out those who have joined (and failed unfortunately) recently and send them PM and ask if they needed a birth certificate and their original driving license.
It would be much easier for everyone than having me to repeat myself about the birth certificate and (new) trying to convince you that do not need your driving licencse to join. You will however need it when you go on leave.
Up until now, I have never seen anyone, on here, who has been refused at the gate because he has joined with only his passport.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
what I would recommend that you do, is check out those who have joined (and failed unfortunately) recently and send them PM and ask if they needed a birth certificate and their original driving license.
It would be much easier for everyone than having me to repeat myself about the birth certificate and (new) trying to convince you that do not need your driving licencse to join. You will however need it when you go on leave.
Up until now, I have never seen anyone, on here, who has been refused at the gate because he has joined with only his passport.
Thanks thats probably the safest option

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
At the moment only a valid passport with a visa(if necessary) is required, alternatively if you are a EU citizen your ID card is sufficient. You will only need a birth certificate when you go through the process of getting your name back.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
On second thought it's easier to find someone that haven't failed. who is the youngest legioner here that can help me ? I don't have alot of time left.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If my calcul is correct, Bill is on Opex as we talk (Cote d'Ivoire or North Tchad / Niger...and could be the reason why we haven't heard from him in / since a couple of months... might be wrong
We try to give only accurate information but since the Covid thingy, things have changed (have you read the posts about the letter you must write to the Legion asking for a rendez vous ?...It's news for us here
Repeat again
Do not bring your driver's licence if it's not necessary... travel light)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Do not bring your driver's licence if it's not necessary
If BBCody is on OPEX, he'll have leave when he gets back. Once he is out of his garrison town he will be able to hire a car IF he has a driving license.
What is it that you cannot understand about the driving license?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
He's already got a license and he wants to give it to the legion. Why? I don't know. He'll get a perfectly good french license to drive military vehicles in the legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
He's already got a license and he wants to give it to the legion. Why? I don't know. He'll get a perfectly good french license to drive military vehicles in the legion.
ok well the legion asks for it specifically so how would they give me french licence if I don't prove that i got one already? I got no real use for it back home any way but if they cut it with scissors in my face for sure I will bring a paper copy.