a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Birth certificates

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I had to order a replacement birth certificate. If it does not arrive by the time of my flight could I use a copy printed out from my former military records? It has a stamp say official us government on it to verify its authenticity. Pr could I have it mailed to me when it arrives?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I wouldn't worry too much about your birth certificate at the joining stage. It will help, yes but is not an absolute necessity.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's supposed to be her no later than the 12 and I fly out that evening, but I am concerned that with the weather it might have a delay getting here.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dax, you've got to relax -max! Come on mate, don't forget that you are going to join an army which is unique in the world where anyone can join.
Do you think that our Malaysian friend is going to turn up with a copy of his birth certificate translated by an official translator and have a certified stamp from the French government to say that it is authentic?:unsure:
Actually he is. but that is just because he planned ahead.

Just kidding you Dax, of course he isn't. And even if your birth certificate does turn up, in English, good. I know that the legion web site says that you should have one. Which is all well and good as long as you have access to the legion web site. Take my word for it you are worry about nothing.;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Dax, you've got to relax -max! Come on mate, don't forget that you are going to join an army which is unique in the world where anyone can join.
Do you think that our Malaysian friend is going to turn up with a copy of his birth certificate translated by an official translator and have a certified stamp from the French government to say that it is authentic?:unsure:
Actually he is. but that is just because he planned ahead.

Just kidding you Dax, of course he isn't. And even if your birth certificate does turn up, in English, good. I know that the legion web site says that you should have one. Which is all well and good as long as you have access to the legion web site. Take my word for it you are worry about nothing.;)
Lol I get it, I just want this so fu**ing bad I need every edge I can get.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Lol I get it, I just want this so fu**ing bad I need every edge I can get.
Birth certificate wouldn't change your chances. Do you think someone would tell. "Ohhh, lets take this guy he was so nice to bring BC with him"

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Should I bring my original birth certificate or photostats Black and white birth certificate ? ( sorry for asking stupid question 🤣)

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Malaysian birth certificate btw there’s no any English in my birth certificate

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Malaysian birth certificate btw there’s no any English in my birth certificate
I doubt English would be of interest to the Legion , French is their language , I wouldnt worry about translation , thats their job and I`d bet they have someone who reads your language.

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Well , it’s doesn’t matter if i bring birth certificate or not , i knew that i will get Disqualified and get send back to home because of medical problem ( beta thalassemia) but I’m still not giving a single f*ck and I’m still going for a luck 🤣(btw how long is the selection process in Fort De Nogen)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
beta thalassemia
After looking up what Beta thalassemia is, I think we both know that you are wasting your time and the legion's. But then again, if you have gotten written on your bucket list - try to join the legion, you can always tick it off.
Just remember to bring enough money for the return ticket.
Enjoy yourself while you are in Paris.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Well , it’s doesn’t matter if i bring birth certificate or not , i knew that i will get Disqualified and get send back to home because of medical problem ( beta thalassemia) but I’m still not giving a single f*ck and I’m still going for a luck 🤣(btw how long is the selection process in Fort De Nogen)
Hello Louis,

I have read some articles about your thalassemia it depends what level of it you have...so I am wondering how is your physical condition? Can you do at least 7 chin ups, what about Luc Leger? Regarding your question how long is the selection process in Paris it depends, from 10 days to 20+ in some rare cases if they send you to a hospital for some medial examination.This is in case when you do not care with you any medical history and they found out that you have some issues.
Anyways if you feel good and you have stamina, maybe you will be lucky one :)

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
I jog 3.1 mile 3 times a week, currently learning swimming (Just basic ) ,I can say my physical I’m in the best, I can do 10 x 3 chins up 10 x 3 ( 5kg weight) chins up , 10 x 3 pull up , 10 x 3 (5kg weight) pull up and etc , actually I don’t know why they will disqualify me but I only get fatigued sometimes when I sit my ass to long on a chair or boring class , sometimes I get unmotivated but I’ll get back my motivation if i think In good positive way

Reaction score
Home Country
Malaysia
Hello Louis,

I have read some articles about your thalassemia it depends what level of it you have...so I am wondering how is your physical condition? Can you do at least 7 chin ups, what about Luc Leger? Regarding your question how long is the selection process in Paris it depends, from 10 days to 20+ in some rare cases if they send you to a hospital for some medial examination.This is in case when you do not care with you any medical history and they found out that you have some issues.
Anyways if you feel good and you have stamina, maybe you will be lucky one :)
I’m a beta thalassemia minor, I think I got from my mom and a good diet always keep me on form