a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blame it on the Legion

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think Ret. (Retired) would perhaps be a better option?
I don't care! And I wouldn't care if I ever become soldier of any kind. Maybe those who get so much upset when someone calls them ex should be called retarded instead of retired?

I'm not point on anyone personally, but really looks stupid if someone get pissed if get called ex by non-military person. I'm sure person who is accomplished and self satisfied with his military career wouldn't have trouble with that.

Joe would you get bothered if someone out of army rings calls you a ex-legionar?

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I don't care! And I wouldn't care if I ever become soldier of any kind. Maybe those who get so much upset when someone calls them ex should be called retarded instead of retired?

I'm not point on anyone personally, but really looks stupid if someone get pissed if get called ex by non-military person. I'm sure person who is accomplished and self satisfied with his military career wouldn't have trouble with that.

Joe would you get bothered if someone out of army rings calls you a ex-legionar?

Dusa I think you're creating a tempest in a teacup.

From what I understand about the whole situation, it mainly relates to the USMC but certainly not limited. Marine is a title that is earned, same as Legionnaire or whatever unit floats your boat. By implying that somebody is an "Ex" it implies that they are no longer fitting of the title, which can be seen as insulting. Again this is my limited understanding.

An excerpt I found online:
"A Marine is a Marine. There’s no such thing as a former Marine. You’re a Marine, just in a different uniform and you’re in a different phase of your life. But you’ll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There’s no such thing as a former Marine."

The Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James F. Amos

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusa I think you're creating a tempest in a teacup.

First. Man, can you stop writing those expressions witch I need to google in order to fully understand. :).

From what I understand about the whole situation, it mainly relates to the USMC but certainly not limited. Marine is a title that is earned, same as Legionnaire or whatever unit floats your boat. By implying that somebody is an "Ex" it implies that they are no longer fitting of the title, which can be seen as insulting. Again this is my limited understanding.

Yes they are. One who served his 5 years did earned that title, especially someone who served long as our friend USMCRET, , ,but I still don't get it how simple "ex" could take that away from him or anyone else?

An excerpt I found online:
"A Marine is a Marine. There’s no such thing as a former Marine. You’re a Marine, just in a different uniform and you’re in a different phase of your life. But you’ll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There’s no such thing as a former Marine."
First. Man, can you stop writing those expressions witch I need to google in order to fully understand. :)
The Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James F. Amos

I guess this is what they teach them in the corps. "There is no such thing as ex-marine. You would never be left alone once you become marine. etc"
I think truth is little bit different and all I care about is truth!

In my country there is expression there's no such thing as ex-cop. What that means is that policemen after he get retired (which is pretty early, some of them in mid 40s. Because of benefits and supposed demanding and dangerous work )
he would continue to rat on anyone he thinks should be snitch on whether or not he actually guilty for some crime. Most likely he would do that to his close friends who trust him and who did many good things for him.
Is that honor and fidelity? I truly believe in that two concepts. I try to apply them in live as much as I can. For some that is just cool label to tattoo on skin.

That's why I get upset about this subject.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Once a Marine always a Marine. That is the RM website. Normally we state; Once a RM always a RM.
Some get upset in conversations when someone says ; So you were a Marine and immediately say ; No Royal Marine. We do not have Exes. But often no offence is taken and a gentle explanation is given. We are a special 'Breed' and remain extremely proud of our heritage.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Once a Marine always a Marine. That is the RM website. Normally we state; Once a RM always a RM.
Some get upset in conversations when someone says ; So you were a Marine and immediately say ; No Royal Marine. We do not have Exes. But often no offence is taken and a gentle explanation is given. We are a special 'Breed' and remain extremely proud of our heritage.

Ok you old Ex-Royal Marine. ;)

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
What is big deal with that "ex" thing? Why so many EX soldiers get upset when someone call them that way. You are not serving anymore so you are ex. I understand buzz behind that and that you stay part of brotherhood all life also matalite becomes part of you for life. But simply most non-army guys would say ex. Simple because is shorter and easier to write.
Do you want me to write honorable discharged marine any time I want to point that one doesn't serve anymore? Ye, ye....
Good points Dusabos, but I kind of prefer «Former French Foreign Legion Paratrooper of the Algerian war» said, so and so! (you can also add 2eme REP, if you like, but that’s not really necessary)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Good points Dusabos, but I kind of prefer «Former French Foreign Legion Paratrooper of the Algerian war» said, so and so! (you can also add 2eme REP, if you like, but that’s not really necessary)
For you Jonny, no problemo!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

Feel free to describe me as an Ex. I soon may be ! lol:) However at least I can claim to have served in a minor way. As a keen amateur ornithologist, I note that the Forum 'Blatherskite' is not an endangered species. It keeps flapping its wings, fails to fly to the Legion gates and constantly fouls its own nest.:unsure:

Like Jonny I prefer if quizzed to simply state; Former Commando and leave it at that. Often it results in asinine questions.:mad:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusaboss,

Feel free to describe me as an Ex. I soon may be ! lol:) However at least I can claim to have served in a minor way. As a keen amateur ornithologist, I note that the Forum 'Blatherskite' is not an endangered species. It keeps flapping its wings, fails to fly to the Legion gates and constantly fouls its own nest.:unsure:

That's really colorful way of describing my failor Chas. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That's really colorful way of describing my failor Chas. :)

The Blatherskite bird can squawk as well. When frustrated it pulls out its own feathers. But it only will be really content when perched on the gate at Aubagne. It should not recognize the word failure. Such lack of faith in itself upsets the other fledgling wannabes and the cantankerous old birds,who preen their Green feathers , as anciens and who flew the coop completing their 5 years. They wish those that attempt to follow well.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The Blatherskite bird can squawk as well. When frustrated it pulls out its own feathers. But it only will be really content when perched on the gate at Aubagne. It should not recognize the word failure. Such lack of faith in itself upsets the other fledgling wannabes and the cantankerous old birds,who preen their Green feathers , as anciens and who flew the coop completing their 5 years. They wish those that attempt to follow well.
No words. :(

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No words. :(

Dusaboss. This is a veteran thing and there are ways we prefer to be addressed. I have expressed much appreciation for Former Royal Marine Commandos, and especially an officer no less, Johnny’s resume and his Campaigns in the Legion are remarkable and I love to read his post, Rapace did his time as a French Officer and he was a paratrooper, Joseph has just been everywhere and his stories inspire and tell of the diversity in tasks one can expect in the Legion. Point is, we deserve the respect earned in conflict through out the world.

The French Foreign Legion is a great ally fighting side by side with Marines, Soldiers, and Airmen this day. The Horn of Africa, we have been and the Legion helped train Marines in survival in the Horn of Africa.

I have much respect for all.

Aspirants, Snafu and all others you go and earn your title Legionaire! Then, one day you will be looked upon with great respect and you will be a FORMER or RETIRED LEGIONAIRE!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Well stated Chas, thank you. To talk with and know a Royal Marine Commando is amazing.

Also All the Legionaires, much respect for your service.

Often Someone will say thank you for your service and my answer is always, it was a privilege and honor.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Snafu, old forum buddy. So you're off. Well any good wishes at this time will sound hollow and maybe even false. One thing, when it gets hard, and hard isn't running an 8Km TAP, hard is when you are asking yourself why the hell did I join. Just tell yourself, we have all been through it and know that it can be a royal pain in the ass sometimes. But then you get your kepi...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Snafu,

You possibly know more about me than many others. You have seen some of my documentation and proven records. RM & Queen's Regiment TA.

You have my continued support in any choice that you make. As ever, I am 100% supportive.

Kind regards- Chas.