a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BMI

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Leaving to Paris and then to Fort de Nogent this Monday. Pretty scared to be honest. But I'll give it a try.
About me: Turned 24 this July. Originally from Estonia, but of Russian ethnicity. Spent my last 5 years in UK studying and working. Fluent in Russian, Estonian and English. Don't know if it will help in getting in though.
Was supposed to finish uni next year, but realized that biology and academic environment
/ career is not for me, so withdrew from course a month ago. And decided to try something that I was thinking about for the last few years.

The only thing I am worried about is BMI. I'm not fat. Just was a bit too enthusiastic with lifting weights and eating lots of cottage cheese :) .And right now I am at 95kg and 177cm. But still I can easily do 10-11 pull-ups and run 2800m in less than 12 minutes. Do you reckon my BMI might be a big issue? Thanks

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi Sigavax.

Hmm. If you are older It would be a problem. This way ... don't know. Go, try and then you tell to us. ;)

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Leaving to Paris and then to Fort de Nogent this Monday. Pretty scared to be honest. But I'll give it a try.
About me: Turned 24 this July. Originally from Estonia, but of Russian ethnicity. Spent my last 5 years in UK studying and working. Fluent in Russian, Estonian and English. Don't know if it will help in getting in though.
Was supposed to finish uni next year, but realized that biology and academic environment
/ career is not for me, so withdrew from course a month ago. And decided to try something that I was thinking about for the last few years.

The only thing I am worried about is BMI. I'm not fat. Just was a bit too enthusiastic with lifting weights and eating lots of cottage cheese :) .And right now I am at 95kg and 177cm. But still I can easily do 10-11 pull-ups and run 2800m in less than 12 minutes. Do you reckon my BMI might be a big issue? Thanks
Welcome to the forum mate,
You should lose a couple of Kilos mate, your BMI is 30 which is classified as Obese 1. I think legion range is between 21 and 28.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

If I was you I would go in 4/6 months. Bodyweight only exercises, parallel bar dips,Push UPS ,chins,squats bodyweight with sometimes weighted Rucksack. Diet down. Train the areas that fatigue fast when running with weight. Lower back,Abs, upper back. Maybe you only need 3 months. Better to go confident & looking trim. I train with weights too but if I was going i would train for the goal in mind. Muscular endurance, staminia.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I know a guy in my gym who is very muscular. Six Pack everything. He went to join the German Police. They told him come back when your BMI is lower. Crazy because I trained with him on occasions. He did a lot of HIIT cardio. In good condition. Better to Lower it & be sure

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at the Legion videos on Youtube , no fat knackers there, to the point some look undernourished.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at the Legion videos on Youtube , no fat knackers there, to the point some look undernourished.
yeah… no British fry up Bacon,sausages & eggs for These Boys. :p

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Aye mate i would get your bmi down to about 25 or lower as they might just think your fat and tell you to come back in 3 months.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello and welcome to the forum. You have already doubts about your BMI otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. I'm not sure where the cottage cheese comes in - and no I don't want to hear about cottage cheese- thanks anyway. It's a long way to go just to tell you to come back in three months.

For any of you who likes cottage cheese ( my god what next :rolleyes: ) or eggs and bacon (and maybe a spoon full of baked beans - perhaps a couple of slices of toast ;).

Forget it, I've said this before, you must start adjusting to legion ways. Breakfast will be a bowl of coffee or drinking chocolate - yes times have changed- a glass of orange juice, a piece of French loaf and jam and butter. You might as well get used to it. The same as setting your alarm clock. And going running in your new Nikes even when it's raining.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum. You have already doubts about your BMI otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. I'm not sure where the cottage cheese comes in - and no I don't want to hear about cottage cheese- thanks anyway. It's a long way to go just to tell you to come back in three months.

For any of you who likes cottage cheese ( my god what next :rolleyes: ) or eggs and bacon (and maybe a spoon full of baked beans - perhaps a couple of slices of toast ;).

Forget it, I've said this before, you must start adjusting to legion ways. Breakfast will be a bowl of coffee or drinking chocolate - yes times have changed- a glass of orange juice, a piece of French loaf and jam and butter. You might as well get used to it. The same as setting your alarm clock. And going running in your new Nikes even when it's raining.
Being honest i eat a more Continental breakfast, have done for years. Most Germans eat a Roll with jam or Maybe some Kind of meat. I do this & drink a coffee. Sometimes weetabix :p, have not had a fry up in years. I do when i visit Scotland just for nostalga...haha. what are the main meals like Joseph??

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Being honest i eat a more Continental breakfast, have done for years. Most Germans eat a Roll with jam or Maybe some Kind of meat. I do this & drink a coffee. Sometimes weetabix :p, have not had a fry up in years. I do when i visit Scotland just for nostalga...haha. what are the main meals like Joseph??

You get square sausage haha?

A think the meals are quite carb heavy rather noce but especially when your starving😂

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You get square sausage haha?

A think the meals are quite carb heavy rather noce but especially when your starving😂
Loved that as a kid… sausage piece :LOL: my old man was a Butcher so Always had meat.. The Dug Always had big bones...

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
I know a guy in my gym who is very muscular. Six Pack everything. He went to join the German Police. They told him come back when your BMI is lower. Crazy because I trained with him on occasions. He did a lot of HIIT cardio. In good condition. Better to Lower it & be sure
Being very muscular can be an issue if you are facing a very obtuse doctor, i know a few cases where guys that were very fit had to send a letter and explain that their BMI were high but they were far from being obese..

I have a friend who lives in the gym, even if we went on vacations with friends, he will find a gym and paid for the days he was using it, Very low body fat around 5%, not only works very hard for it, but eats for it.... If we only look at his bmi and not body someone would say he is overweight near obesity......

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Being very muscular can be an issue if you are facing a very obtuse doctor, i know a few cases where guys that were very fit had to send a letter and explain that their BMI were high but they were far from being obese..

I have a friend who lives in the gym, even if we went on vacations with friends, he will find a gym and paid for the days he was using it, Very low body fat around 5%, not only works very hard for it, but eats for it.... If we only look at his bmi and not body someone would say he is overweight near obesity......
5% is very very low. for a period very elite. If you are 10% that´s very good.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
5% is very very low. for a period very elite. If you are 10% that´s very good.
5 % is sick. I don't believe that is achievable without losing all your muscle mass too if you don't using legal and illegal supplements.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
5 % is sick. I don't believe that is achievable without losing all your muscle mass too if you don't using legal and illegal supplements.
5% is on stage bodyfat. If you are 10-15 that´s good for any normal guy. you´ll look good for the legion or the chicks;). Of Course they are juiced to the gills with 5%. not just from milk shakes...LOL

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

To be fair Joe, we've had a guy called ComfortOfPotato and Cupcake, at least theres no cottage cheese in his handle.