a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BMI

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
Was wondering if anyone knows whether they point to the door straight away after failed BMI test or would allow to undergo Luc Leger anyway? It may sound silly, but my weight is not going down after almost a month of daily running and exercising, while maintaining calorie deficit. On the other hand I did went from 22% to 18% body fat. I know that they are not looking for potential bodybuilders or anything. But now I am not so sure whether I will be able to cut that weight down by November. I will be able to get rid of 4-5 more % of fat and maybe 2-3kg. The thing is that I am naturally a muscular guy. But never had problems with endurance. Was doing sprint canoeing for about 12 years and was in a national team for a bit. And it's mostly an endurance type of sport.
Really don't want to postpone my trip again.
So what do you think? Is there be a chance that 14-15 clean pull-ups and good Luc Leger test will impress them, so my BMI could be ignored?

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
If you are well above the bmi they will probably just tell you to come back in 3 months. But then again they may not lol. I wouldnt go until my bmi was 25 or under mate just to be safe.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Was wondering if anyone knows whether they point to the door straight away after failed BMI test or would allow to undergo Luc Leger anyway? It may sound silly, but my weight is not going down after almost a month of daily running and exercising, while maintaining calorie deficit. On the other hand I did went from 22% to 18% body fat. I know that they are not looking for potential bodybuilders or anything. But now I am not so sure whether I will be able to cut that weight down by November. I will be able to get rid of 4-5 more % of fat and maybe 2-3kg. The thing is that I am naturally a muscular guy. But never had problems with endurance. Was doing sprint canoeing for about 12 years and was in a national team for a bit. And it's mostly an endurance type of sport.
Really don't want to postpone my trip again.
So what do you think? Is there be a chance that 14-15 clean pull-ups and good Luc Leger test will impress them, so my BMI could be ignored?
What is your current BMI?

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
What is your current BMI?

It could also be just normal weight fluctuation, such as extra water. I'll just make the deficit a little bit bigger and in a month hopefully something will change.:unsure:

Last edited:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

It could also be just normal weight fluctuation, such as extra water. I'll just make the deficit a little bit bigger and in a month hopefully something will change.:unsure:
Sorry to disappoint mate, 30 is classfied as obese, Wouldn't even consider going until at least 26-27. I speaking from experience as well, I'm also a heftier bloke and my BMI is now 29 and theres still lots of room for improvement:)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I know guys who only do HIIT cardio because they do not want to lose muscle. You should do the opposite. Long hikes with a Rucksack. Long Cycling. No weight Training & cut back more on your diet. Diet is key ! Only do chins & Push UPS bare Minimum.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I know guys who only do HIIT cardio because they do not want to lose muscle. You should do the opposite. Long hikes with a Rucksack. Long Cycling. No weight Training & cut back more on your diet. Diet is key ! Only do chins & Push UPS bare Minimum.
Yea that what guys (and "baby dolls" :)) use to do. There is story around those days that HIIT cardio is much better way to burn calories than low intensity. I think thats true but only if you do HIIT like mad man and when you do low intensity you barely speed up your breathing.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yea that what guys (and "baby dolls" :)) use to do. There is story around those days that HIIT cardio is much better way to burn calories than low intensity. I think thats true but only if you do HIIT like mad man and when you do low intensity you barely speed up your breathing.
Compare the body of a world class Sprinter against an Olympic Walker or Runner. Long distance Cycling burns fat off like a blow Torch. A short 20 min HIIT cardio Workout will not do it. The Cycling trains important muscles around the knee. This will prevent injuries when he runs regularly. However diet is key. I like Intervall Training on the bike or cross Trainer in the gym. I do 30 mins. I run outside about 45/50 mins on average.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I believe diet is key as well , exercise may even put weight on you as muscle is heavier that fat , obviously if you are going for the Legion fitness is essential as well as being lean.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I believe diet is key as well , exercise may even put weight on you as muscle is heavier that fat , obviously if you are going for the Legion fitness is essential as well as being lean.
serious bodybuilders also have not the energy to do long cardio sessions. If they train hard & heavy with weights they will never recover with long sessions of hard cardio, hence why a lot do low intensity walking on a treadmill or with a HIIT session during the week. HIIT they can´t do as often as walking. However to be in the legion i would do both but HIIT max 1-2 times a week other days longer cardio...but as you said you don´t put it in your mouth you don´t need to burn it off

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
My guess is that I simply made a mistake in calculating calories. Because otherwise it would mean that I somehow went against the first rule of thermodynamics and should instead be used as a power plant to generate free electricity :unsure:.

Will try going a bit harder with 1700 kcal a day from now.
Currently I do 6-7km runs every morning, with one day rest. In addition to that I do 3-4 sprint interval sessions a week with 1 or 2 long-distance runs of 15-18km. And of course pull-ups, push-ups, parallel bar dips and core exercises.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
My guess is that I simply made a mistake in calculating calories. Because otherwise it would mean that I somehow went against the first rule of thermodynamics and should instead be used as a power plant to generate free electricity :unsure:.
Does not have to be, you burned fat. How much kcal did you eat until now? Whats your height and weight? Training actually not burns much of kcal.

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
Does not have to be, you burned fat. How much kcal did you eat until now? Whats your height and weight? Training actually not burns much of kcal.

Was eating about 2600 +/- 100. Height is 177, weight 94,5 . Probably 2600 was too much for loosing weight.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Will try going a bit harder with 1700 kcal a day from now.
Currently I do 6-7km runs every morning, with one day rest. In addition to that I do 3-4 sprint interval sessions a week with 1 or 2 long-distance runs of 15-18km. And of course pull-ups, push-ups, parallel bar dips and core exercises.
Got to be the calories based on the amount of training you are doing.

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
You need to loose over 2 stone or so im thinking then mate ?
I will try after loosing just one. Which should make my BMI between 28-29. If they would tell it's too much and to come back later - then I'll try one more time later after loosing the second one.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I will try after loosing just one. Which should make my BMI between 28-29. If they would tell it's too much and to come back later - then I'll try one more time later after loosing the second one.

Well good luck mate. As said all the time here we dont actually know what decision will be made at that time so if you feel confident about chancing it go for it👍🏿

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Am reading now, L' Observer, an article about BMI
The question was put to 5 experts...
" Can the BMI be an indicatation if our weight is healthy ? "
The 5 experts all replied no and almost identical reasons why
BMI is an approximative measure when we do not have the time or money to realise futher examination
It does not make the difference between fat or muscles
It can not know if fat is on arms, legs or waist.
It does not take into considération ethnique origins
Just saying

Reaction score
Home Country
Estonia
Ok, everything is ready now. The final question is whether I should go straight in Paris or take a bus/train (if I'll find a cheap one) to Marseille.
I'm just thinking, that because in a couple of weeks it's Christmas, I could find myself being stuck in Fort de Nogent for quite a while. Or maybe I should not be over thinking it, and just go in Paris? I'm arriving to Paris on Saturday.
Really would appreciate your advice, thanks.