a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonjour tout le monde

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Peru
Hello, I am from Peru, I speak some French and very committed to joining the French Foreign Legion for at least 5 years, I am here particularly to learn more about the corp that I will apply to and I might get in, I don't know any person who was in the Foreign Legion so I want to ask you please some questions such as: What would I be prevented to do in the Legion if I use glasses? -My myopia is low-, and, can I take online or in-person civilian courses to study while in the Legion?
Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Turkey
Hello!
About the courses and studies, it is very unlikely in my opinion. A life of a legionnaire is a busy life. Maybe if you can complete courses in a month in your yearly leave you can do it. Depends on what you want.
About your eyesight, I really don't know. Men in green, (Legionnaires, former or current) may give an answer. But it is up to the doctor who will decide if you are fit for duty or not.
Best of luck in your future endeavour!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Leper 2022 and welcome to the forum. Use the search fonction as much as like you for example the question about your eyesight:Eyesight.png

which will then bring you to a page where people have replied:truily reliable guy.png

You then check which people you consider reliable, I chose this guy, he seems to know more or less what he's talking about ;) :whistle:
.nothing better to do cropped.png My @rse he does, he's stilled P$ssed about classrooms.

eyr chart.png

I'm not P$ssed at all about the lack of response to my offer of helping out hose that are going to join. What has p$ssed me off, is that I and Kotkata are the only two who have welcomed Leper to the forum.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Peru
Hi Leper 2022 and welcome to the forum. Use the search fonction as much as like you for example the question about your eyesight:View attachment 6838

which will then bring you to a page where people have replied:View attachment 6839

You then check which people you consider reliable, I chose this guy, he seems to know more or less what he's talking about ;) :whistle:
.View attachment 6841 My @rse he does, he's stilled P$ssed about classrooms.

View attachment 6840

I'm not P$ssed at all about the lack of response to my offer of helping out hose that are going to join. What has p$ssed me off, is that I and Kotkata are the only two who have welcomed Leper to the forum.
Merci beaucoup, j'ai déjà recherché les informations sur les lunettes et je me qualifie pour rejoindre la Légion Étrangère, mais je n'ai pas trouvé d'informations sur ce que je peux faire et je ne peux pas faire dans la légion à cause de l'utilisation de lunettes, par exemple, quels cours puis-je faire et que je ne peux pas faire? puis-je suivre le cours pour tirer des missiles antichar? puis-je être infanterie? puis-je être soldat au 2eme REG? ou puis-je être seulement cuisinier?, etc.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Are you color blind? In my service you could be color blind but you were very limited in the things you could do in the Marine Corps, we would not allow you do decide on the red or green wire if you were EOD.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Peru
Are you color blind? In my service you could be color blind but you were very limited in the things you could do in the Marine Corps, we would not allow you do decide on the red or green wire if you were EOD.
Hello, thank you for your reply, I already checked the info and I qualify to join the legion, I am not color blind.
I just want to know what I would be prevented to do in Legion because of using glasses because I have seen on the internet that I cannot do many courses such as the course to learn to shoot anti-tank missiles or do certain jobs such as being a paratrooper.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Leper, if I remember correctly you ticked the actual or former military box on your application? So if you could join the Peruvian army, although I appreciate that the entrance standards might not be the same, they are still military, there should be no problem.

It is clearly written on the info site about the eyesight requirements for the REP, however where did you get the info on being a missile operator? I'm not saying that it isn't true, it's just that we've had others on here stating things that they have read without giving us the proof.
If you make it in
nothing better to do cropped.png WTF when you make it in

I stand corrected, when you make it in, there will be a lot more jobs available to you other than cook. The only thing that I would recommend is that you take along along two or three spare paires of glasses, with a very discreet head band to make sure that they stay in place. The legion will provide glasses, but during the acceptance phase, it's best to be safe.

Everyone is taught to drive (whether you have license in your own country or not), so if your eyesight is good enough to pass the driver's test then I think that being an infantry in the 2 REG is available to anyone.
I mean let's be honest, there is no basic training put aside for cooks or the music, everyone does the same. And when you finish Castel you will be ready to take on any infantry role that the legion has. Don't get mixed up with infantry and specialized training. I would concentrate on getting in and then take it from there.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Peru
Yes, I was in the military but I didn't use glasses so I never knew about the rules for using glasses.

According to that page (1), I am eligible to become a paratrooper despite using glasses but according to this thread (2), I am not eligible, so I am confused about it.

I got the info on the anti-tank operator from a person I talked with in Youtube comments, he said he was a légionnaire.

Thank you for the info. (y)

(1) http://foreignlegion.info/french-foreign-legion-eyesight-vision-requirements/
(2) https://cervens.net/forum/index.php...ght-eyeglasses-thread-once-and-for-all.10442/

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Whenever you look at a post, I would look at the date. Chval posted it in 2010, He himself hasn't been seen on here since 2016, the thread was closed (although I can't see why) he was not turned "green".
Could this be early days of the night jumper?
Whatever, I would take the #1 as being more up to date.
I certainly don't want to criticize anyone on their posts, but it seemed unusual to me about the marksmanship and the orange triangle. Just saying.