a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING bonsoir légionnaires

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Here are few things that I looked for when I was little chief and may be a perspective that some "aspirants" may consider.
I didn't have a choice regarding those above me but I definitely chose how to interact with them. Respect authority and the uniform but not necessarily the person. Those with command decision authority need to earn it and demonstrate their professionalism to you..tread accordingly. For those who I was in charge of, if you were married or had a girlfriend you were infatuated with (it becomes obvious) then this was a strike against you because you had something to lose and your head may be elsewhere in critical circumstances. If you snored when you slept..this was fatal flaw if you're out in the field for obvious reasons...never mind the thermal imaging that you need to avoid. If you smoked..not only could I smell you out in the field but lighting and smoking the damn things was like waving a flag to a sniper..this goes to the prior point. As well, tracking wrappers and other garbage over rock (where you can't easily spot tracks) makes it easy to set up targets. Final, if you're in a combat company, your ability as point (or rear guard) defines you. Your ability to use all your senses (especially at night), your observation/communication skills and your ability to remain calm and "follow expected procedures by the seat of your pants" if ambushed ->this means you've either stepped into a crossfire, set off a trip-wire, stepped into a booby-trap...etc.. if you survive then some trust develops. And if you're on the "giving" end of things, two to the head regardless as you scamper through to your next location. I was NEVER involved in a real played out scenario but some of the drills I went through involved live ammo and the practice was serious. These are not games..games are for when you're on leave or in a "safe" place like guard duty...except in Corsica when you might get shot at once in while.
I forgot to add, learn enemy vehicles, aircraft, armament by sound and sight. You might not see them but you can identify what you'll be facing. When you do see them, it may be for a fraction of a second (too long staring with your mouth open will end you) so know your stuff cold.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Relative to the above post I'll take a few steps back but first this proviso. In the Algerian conflict, I think castration was "du jour" if you were caught...and quid pro quo. Anyone considering "being all that you can be" should be aware that you can lose a few things along the way including your marbles. Whoever enters, after their minimum five years, won't be the same person upon leaving in whatever capacity served with "honneur et fidelite."
The basics, as fut-fut I made sure CLEANLINESS and HYGIENE were of supreme importance...especially your feet and legs. I would be up 1/2 hr. before everyone and go to sleep 1/2 hour after everyone (regardless of the amount of sleep I had) to make sure I was prepared for the day and to be prepared for the next day. As EV, I got up before almost everyone to have the freedom to have hot water and relax a little to prepare for the day..the loss of sleep was worth it. Head games like having everyone leave the room then empty the lockers and have everyone find their stuff, get dressed etc... in the dark was one of those things you adjusted to. KNOW your belongings by feel..especially your ranger size ..etc... Lace them up to a certain point, mark them so you can find them by touch and sight. Rope climbing, practice climbing with only your hands and then add a pack on your back. Do extra push-ups on your own. Save your money and don't blow it on stupid shit. This gets noticed and goes to responsibility. DON'T SNITCH on anyone even if you think it will win you points. If you feel strongly about something, take care of it personally and without witnesses and make sure the lesson you gave stuck. DON'T fight other Legionnaires...but if you can't avoid it make it last less than fifteen seconds in your favour..or walk away (then) but take care of it later without a crowd and find out what the issue was and address it. Finally, don't volunteer anything or volunteer for anything. You'll avoid a LOT of shit that way. There's book called "Appel" which you should be aware of at the very least. I emailed the guy and he's decent. There are a few things online, interview with the author, reviews about the book.... which should give anyone a heads-up on what to expect if considering joining.
To round out this post, cohesion of the group is something that basic training tries to impart. Sometimes people screw up either on purpose or otherwise. I recall that the group didn't perform as I expected one time so at Castel. (1980's) there was small road access behind the barracks where there was a rope as well as where the showers were located and I had everyone double-time it back there. I then explained why we were there and what we were going to do next. I made everyone get in position to do knuckle-push ups with myself in position at the front leading and doing push ups counting off. At 45 push ups there were about 10-15 EV's left from about 40 ...arms trembling but still looking me in the eyes. I stopped it there but these 10-15 guys gained my respect and the respect of others in the group. One of them was the IRA fellow who asked to leave I had mentioned in a prior post. If your fut-fut will take part in and take the lead in doing sh$t like this rather than walking around and barking orders, it's a good sign. Your encadrement should be your measuring sticks so do what you can to meet and exceed their expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Noted, I need to work on the rope for sure, I understand the no snitching I’m not going to suck c**k to get ahead (kiwi saying) I going to let my mental drive to win show, I want to serve the legion, and nothing will stop me. As my old sergeant said, if you have the will to win the battle You will your mind is powerful it will go until you drop dead. 50 mental and 50 percent strength. 2/4 ONWARDS, that’s New Zealand infantry motto

Most viewed threads of the week