a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOINING bonsoir légionnaires

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Wrong attitude to say to oneself; I will give it six months and if I don't like it I will opt out.
The best aspirant is one who is totally committed and not a chancer. You must have what I call the 'want factor'.
Unfortunately, that is the case nowadays. The thing is with todays social media, all that the legion would need (if they had kept to the old ways) is for a few w@nkers to dessert and then tell tales of hardship and cruelty.
So now if they decide that they have made a 'mistake' they can ask to go civvy. This is a shame, not just because they have taken someone else's place and that they have cost the legion a lot of money, but because they haven't even given it a chance to see what the real legion is about.
Everyone goes through a coup de cafard from time to time, whether it is in Aubagne or Castel. By allowing you to go civvy, allows you to take the easy way out.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I would set my goal on getting in, going to a regiment which is the best (in your opinion) get an OPEX under my belt, going on leave (back to NZ) with a pocket full of Euros, coming back and then taking it from there.

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I would set my goal on getting in, going to a regiment which is the best (in your opinion) get an OPEX under my belt, going on leave (back to NZ) with a pocket full of Euros, coming back and then taking it from therapy h
I would set my goal on getting in, going to a regiment which is the best (in your opinion) get an OPEX under my belt, going on leave (back to NZ) with a pocket full of Euros, coming back and then taking it from there.
I won’t be coming back in leave till NZ, I don’t have much left keeping me here

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I understand, they could be on the cards
nothing better to do cropped.png What do you mean they could be on the cards?

Actually I've been trying out how to create emojis. The only thing is it takes up to two years for one to accepted !
Which is probably why no-ne hasn't bothered up to now.

Dusa, are you interested? If you get one and it is accepted, then you own the rights to it. 50%-50%. We could produce tee shirts and mugs. I was thinking of having one with his mouth closed, called Lips shut legionnaire. And another with a pair of aviator's classes with a smug smile and the kepi tilted back at 45 degree angle called layed back legionnaire.

If anyone is interested in buying a tee shirt, or mug : angry Leg. ( current image incl.), layed back Leg. or Lips shut Leg. please contact Dusa, (by PM ;):whistle:)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am greatly amused by the nomenclature Officerjames24. Is this premature ? Now for some minor hubris.

Commissioned at 19 and 11 months, on 17/04/1959 in the Corps Gazette. In May 1959 I undertook my officer's Commando Course but was far too busy to enjoy my 20th birthday on the 28th of May.

I got 4th and last place for a commission. I suspect this was because I had passed Para selection and had an offer. 'Une Guerre des boutons'. Other RM officer cadets had to go to any Army Regiment which would accept them

My original number was RMV202910- Mne- 20/06/1956 at 17 and 3 weeks- a mere sprog.

Now Officerjames 24 is a mere 21 and I wish him well. Finally my photos and various write ups are on Farce Book.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
View attachment 6665 What do you mean they could be on the cards?

Actually I've been trying out how to create emojis. The only thing is it takes up to two years for one to accepted !
Which is probably why no-ne hasn't bothered up to now.

Dusa, are you interested? If you get one and it is accepted, then you own the rights to it. 50%-50%. We could produce tee shirts and mugs. I was thinking of having one with his mouth closed, called Lips shut legionnaire. And another with a pair of aviator's classes with a smug smile and the kepi tilted back at 45 degree angle called layed back legionnaire.

If anyone is interested in buying a tee shirt, or mug : angry Leg. ( current image incl.), layed back Leg. or Lips shut Leg. please contact Dusa, (by PM ;):whistle:)
Thought there is already emoji for everything. :) I don't think that is necessary to use them for all and everything. They are great for experiencing emotions. To give better inside in what you want to say which sometimes get confused when your writhing And don't have that direct contact like when talking with someone face to face.
Other than that... I don't know. Do our alphabet evolving in some half hieroglyphic writing?

I can already wrote sentence this way. "I was going 🏡 with my 🚙 and than 🚔 🛑 me which was problem because of 🍺." Not very practical and can also led to some confusion and misunderstanding.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Of course not Voltigeur, be my guest- as long as it doesn't appear on a mug or tee shirt, that is Dusa's domain. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
bonsoir légionnaires,
I’m a 21 year old, who is training for the legion, I’m studying French and, doing PT with my ex sergeant who was in the Nz commandos, I come from a proud army background with every generation serving in the army. I look forward to the discussion and help I will get from you current and ex légionnaires. I am looking to be in at the latest 2024.

kia kaha e aku tungane ma te atua koe e tiaki i roto i o pakanga kei te heke mai (stay strong my brothers may god protect you in your future battles)
There's an ancien from the GCP from NZ who, if I remember correctly, became part of a local constabulary. Joseph might know who this person is .. I think his name was mentioned in the forum somewhere and where he went. Regarding saluting..depends where and when..same thing with sporting stripes and other "bling"..same thing as positioning within groups (Kremlinology 101..status goes first)...snipers love this stuff.
In my opinion, check it out and if you don't like it leave. I asked to leave near the end of my first year but was refused. I knew an IRA fellow, tough and smart, who asked to leave after his four month training and left. As fut-fut, there were others I was glad to see leave but with very few exceptions there were some outstanding people as well who left. A toi.

A couple of links which apply to Guyane. We took Niva/Chloroquine as an anti-malarial but we were not told it could/would cause memory loss. I did get Malaria and a few other nasty bugs one of which was a fungal spore which I had in my lungs at 46% where 8% was lethal. I was in the hospital in Corsica for over week and wasn't told why until near the end of my release for active duty. The following links are associated and I saw a few cases as well. Some of the guys who contracted this put a band aide on this wound and would wonder why the wound would get larger underneath the band aide. A cure is in the second link but there is a risk as well.
I read a lot in the Legion about things that could possible help me and others. I saw a lot of Legionnaires reading bande-dessines (comic books). Choose. Be a pro and ahead of the curve or follow orders regardless of consequences. In the first case you'll probably be required to follow orders regardless but at least your eyes will be open to the consequences. My only suggestion is, don't be of the "strong back weak mind" stock. Aspire to strength of will and smarts..the physical conditioning is a distant third and will occur naturally and according to needs.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There's an ancien from the GCP from NZ who, if I remember correctly, became part of a local constabulary. Joseph might know who this person is .. I think his name was mentioned in the forum somewhere and where he went. Regarding saluting..depends where and when..same thing with sporting stripes and other "bling"..same thing as positioning within groups (Kremlinology 101..status goes first)...snipers love this stuff.
In my opinion, check it out and if you don't like it leave. I asked to leave near the end of my first year but was refused. I knew an IRA fellow, tough and smart, who asked to leave after his four month training and left. As fut-fut, there were others I was glad to see leave but with very few exceptions there were some outstanding people as well who left. A toi.

A couple of links which apply to Guyane. We took Niva/Chloroquine as an anti-malarial but we were not told it could/would cause memory loss. I did get Malaria and a few other nasty bugs one of which was a fungal spore which I had in my lungs at 46% where 8% was lethal. I was in the hospital in Corsica for over week and wasn't told why until near the end of my release for active duty. The following links are associated and I saw a few cases as well. Some of the guys who contracted this put a band aide on this wound and would wonder why the wound would get larger underneath the band aide. A cure is in the second link but there is a risk as well.
I read a lot in the Legion about things that could possible help me and others. I saw a lot of Legionnaires reading bande-dessines (comic books). Choose. Be a pro and ahead of the curve or follow orders regardless of consequences. In the first case you'll probably be required to follow orders regardless but at least your eyes will be open to the consequences. My only suggestion is, don't be of the "strong back weak mind" stock. Aspire to strength of will and smarts..the physical conditioning is a distant third and will occur naturally and according to needs.

nothing better to do cropped.png OfficerJames, take note.

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Ancien Sgt Chef, if am not mistaken?
I Caught la dingue I Central Africa
Fuque kens me nowt what the Covii does but it cannae be much worse