a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boots of the FFL ?

jobipolar

Reaction score
Best answers
JUst wanted to know what kind of boots were used (presently) in basic training in the Legion. E.I. brand name... I am using Welco boots with the " direct molded sole" trying to toughen my feet up some. but would love to know what the FFL use if they have a paticular brand or model?

thanks

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
Best answers
The best example i can give you.. the boots are the same boots as the Canadian army combat boots.. (the old ones) but with a top strap belt on top..

jobipolar

Reaction score
Best answers
Does anyone live in Los Angeles and if so do you know a place that would carry them? And do you know the actual brand that the FFL issued boot is?

EthNeo

Reaction score
Best answers
jobipolar said:
Does anyone live in Los Angeles and if so do you know a place that would carry them? And do you know the actual brand that the FFL issued boot is?

I live in San Diego and own a pair of these boots. They are simply amazing...

I go back to France in December for a couple of weeks. It would be a pleasure for me to try to arrange something for you: if you do know the size you need, I could just come back in January with a nice pair especially for you. Let me know if interested.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Macao
They were very good. The only negative aspect was the clicking sound of the metal ankle strap in the dead of night. It gave you away if you listened carefully. Other boots just have shoelace ankle straps.

Some FFL platoon commanders required that rubber bands were tied around them to muffle the sound but this wasn't a standard requirement fo all.

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Fish_Sauce said:
The best example i can give you.. the boots are the same boots as the Canadian army combat boots.. (the old ones) but with a top strap belt on top..

cracks me up seeing you handing out advice dudette!!! Like you never even had them in your hands let alone on your feet! Why not tell him next how comfortable they are eh...

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
Best answers
FM:
TO:
INFO:
Subj: Dancing Shoes

A "for what it's worth" comment;

I looked at the link with the picture of the boot. It brought back a memory of a comment a friend of mine made. This was the (now retired) SEAL officer I mentioned in a post last week.

Went to an association meeting; one of those lunch with a speaker type meetings. There was some snow on the ground and I showed up in a suit with boots (also better to pick up girls when properly attired). My friend commented on the tread on the boots I was wearing.

Because the US military is SO BIG, sometimes he and his units operated from aircraft carriers- not the standard, regulation planned missions. The headache he told me with quality boots and good tread was that the "Ray Ban crowd ("Ray Ban" is famous name brand for sunglasses used by aviators) complain about "FOD" - foreign objects on deck. A stone lodged in boot tread might come out and become a danger to aircraft ops. So, he always pays attention to treads on boots. I learned something from him haven't forgot since.

(US Navy aviators are called the "brown shoe navy" from old times. Don't know what's going on now but there was an effort to take away their brown shoes circa the Tailhook scandal, when a lady found out that even sailors have a beer or two.

Warm regards,
BobW

californiajai

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The Boots the Legion wears are called "By the Legio" __Rangers___ these boots are old US army surplus if im not mistaken, old WW type. The Legion manufactures them new now of course but the design is based off the Old USA boot. Could be wrong, but i remember it somewhere.

Mle 187-828

john

Reaction score
Best answers
ok ive heard that you can buy your own kit instead of using that which is issued to you once you get to your regiment. i have some boots from my time in the CF which are pretty much like running shoes, and are made for long distance walking. will there be a problem if i have these mailed out to me ?

yatez 44

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I would just adapt to the kit they issue to you..I,d hate to be the fellow that showed up in formation or out in field with different types of boots.I garenty they will be on you like Flys on a turd...

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Macao
john said:
ok ive heard that you can buy your own kit instead of using that which is issued to you once you get to your regiment. i have some boots from my time in the CF which are pretty much like running shoes, and are made for long distance walking. will there be a problem if i have these mailed out to me ?
Don't dream of doing that. You're given the equipment to meet the requirement. Boots are just too visible. Big mistake.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
john said:
we were allowed to use nearly anything aside the regular issue equipment on combat duty, but not while on service duty like Jobs or guard duty.
I actually had bought my own summer dress uniform made of some polyester. Because the creases stayed in better and better fit. See color pic on my web site "about me" page. I could not wear that one on parades or guard duty and had to resort to the chitty cotton summer uniform.

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Hi Jobipolar,

I'm writing as a gringo ancien. I've never been in the FFL. My view might be technically different than a Legionaire. I have worked in a foreign military (ies).

Not so much for Frence nationals, but for eastern Europeans, it could come down to an inappropriate display of wealth. We've got a lot more loose cash floating around the States so we can get ahead of the game, like breaking in boots. It's better to make friends rather than create resentments.

Like the rest of the gringos, I also show up with the newest gadgets and equipment. However, after learning from experience, it's best not to display the stuff, eg the latest multi-tool, the best whistle, etc.

To summerize my above unclear post; don't stand out and be different.

Hope I said this properly..............

Warm regards,
BobW

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Macao
Be no different to others in equipment in the platoon; and, more importantly keep nothing of value and that cannot be replaced quickly.