Breathing while running

Digitalfreefall

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Personally i find that breathing both in and out by mouth far easier to regulate my breathing pattern yet almost everywhere i read it is said that it should be in through the nose, out through the mouth. Is there any direct benefit from nose/mouth breathing or just personal preference ?

GrpCAndersson

Fitness Forum's Moderator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Digitalfreefall said:
Personally i find that breathing both in and out by mouth far easier to regulate my breathing pattern yet almost everywhere i read it is said that it should be in through the nose, out through the mouth. Is there any direct benefit from nose/mouth breathing or just personal preference ?
Interesting question. Didn't know if there was any real diffrence in the different techniques.
I myself, breathe through both mouth and nose - in as well as out. Of course this depends on how hard the run is.

Checked Runners World, and the author of the article seems to agree.
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-184-0-245,00.html

Don't worry too much about how you breath, just make sure that you find a rythm. There are other things to focus on that's more important.

/GrpC

V

Venus

Unregistered
In medical terms, if someone is breathless and is panting then we get them to take slow, deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth. Breathing in through your nose gives a more channeled breath into your lungs and you can actually make it a much better breath. When breathing out your mouth that allows it to disperse better. Try taking a deep breath in through your nose and then in through your mouth and you will see the difference. It is perhaps more beneficial to breath like this when you have stopped and trying to regulate your breathing.:)

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
thats good for recuping but on a run breath normaly we tryed all sorts, the best way is to breath like your sitting watching tv. if you breath fast you will hyper vent and nakker your self real quick too slow and you,ll pass out with lack of oxygen. dont wait till your in to try this. and one more thing remember your stratching ;) :)

K9-

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
i breathe on nose and out through the mouth. i used to that and with that i find my rythm. strange a little bit isn't

OP
Digitalfreefall

Digitalfreefall

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
In the link: "Famed New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, once replied: Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can."

Looks like its each to his own on this one, as Flash said your breathing pattern and stretching is what really counts. And Venus the nose/mouth method really helped in reducing my recovery time, my natural reaction was always to take huge breaths through any orifice available at the end of 10k :D

This is a great Forum add on, its really is trial and error when your training on your own, farking nightmare.

OP
Digitalfreefall

Digitalfreefall

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
K9- said:
i breathe on nose and out through the mouth. i used to that and with that i find my rythm. strange a little bit isn't
I don't know why i find it so difficult to regulate my breaths when using nose/mouth method its hard to describe, it feels staggered almost suffocating i just cant draw enough to feel comfortable, if there is no direct benefit out with recovering i think its best to go with whatever feels natural. only downside for me is the inevitable mouth full of bugs.

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
flash010 said:
yea i tryed the in though the nose and out the mouth and after 2 clicks thought id burst a lung :(
HA..:D ......

Mise

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Ireland
put your feet in motion your lungs will follow

steve

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
personally i hate running but understand it is a nesacery evil of the trade.i breath through my mouth.i try and regulate the breathing and not let it get ragged and try and get my rythem and second wind goin.just percavere and dig in.

Most viewed threads of the week