Brit hoping to join

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
It's good to travel light
Farm work, cool
Can you drive JCBs or stuff
Ease up on the booze (gamma gt controls)
Smoke, if so, try and give up
Your lungs will appreciate it
A couple of runs per week
Pull ups, evry day
Once a fort night, go swimming
By january, should be fit
Remember to eat quality foods

Tell them at Aubange that you are a country pumpkin, a yokel or pikey
Strong as a horse and love working out doors

Improve your swimming
Not sure what the target is these days
1 length at least = 25 m
Under water at least 10 m
More you can do the better
You always support new guys, but sabotage me! Why's that mon Le petit? I mean, I respect you and like you but you ... You constantly pushing me away from you! :(

You never told any word of support, any encouragement, nothing! Just attacks and humiliations, why? You are just like my father! He also never supported me about anything :cry:. Im looking here for father figure, but nobody wants me. Am I so bad? Nobody cares about me, nobody gives a F. :cry:

Never mind, I'm walking this path alone. I don't need anyone. I'm a fighter.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
1165finne welcome to the forum. Your army experience is definitely plus, but early discharge is minus. So if you can put that story in nice acceptable package... than you should tell them. If there is really big nasty story behind your discharge which you can't mask, then it's better to be quiet about your previous military experience.

I don't know, only you can decide what you want to tell them, but yes legion do accept guys with dishonorable discharges. Just that term "dishonorable" could be really wide spectrum of things.

As for swimming... you have enough time until winter to learn at least some. I heard some new stories that they ask from recruits some basic swimming, Don't know whether or not that is true, but it will not hurt you if you learn that skill which isn't hard to assure.

Dusa? You been boozin? I was just meaning there seems to be a dry up of english speakers (england/scotland/wales/ire) gb participants thats cant utter any french!! From what ive seen lately francos seem to make more progress from anglos!! What all the anciens have been saying is learn some french on top of your fitness guys! The legion clearly want the full package? It isnt the way it once was clearly. But again only comparing posts etc i PERSONALLY would go end of december start of january when its apparently quiter and try then. Prove you can stand the holidays away from your family! Good luck boys!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Hello 1165finne and a big welcome to the forum.

the last sentance should be changed for "do learn to swim, it could save your life" to "do learn to swim it could make the difference of getting in or a size 10 rangers up the backside and a return ticket"

The same as learning French. With so many candidates to choose from, saying that as soon as you decided to join you started to learn French, may tip the scales. With today's social media there is no excuse to turn up at the legion without knowing how to swim the minimum requirement or the basis of French. What I mean by that is you have been forewarned.

One more thing, quitting the army because of a girl, probably doesn't even sound romantic even to you today. It would be a no-go to a legion recruiter. Whatever reason you give, whatever you do, do not change it later on, coming clean so to speak.

Thought any Brit para reg or any airborne U.K. troops had to swim? Take it you’re not with the chic you left the Brit Army for starting to smell a bit like the normal bull shit we get every so often!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Thought any Brit para reg or any airborne U.K. troops had to swim? Take it you’re not with the chic you left the Brit Army for starting to smell a bit like the normal bull shit we get every so often!
I remember as an Apprentice chef (ACC) going to the PTI's swimming pool in Aldershot for swimming. We were in just after the trainee paras. They had to take it turn to jump off the top board with another trainee on his back. Then it was 100 metres and ten metres underwater.

One Wednesday afternoon I was running along the canal (in Aldershot, not Castel:cautious:) durng the sports afternoon on my own. The junior paras were there on top one of the bridges. The Bridge was higher than the top board, but even still? One of the junior paras was hesitating.

I stopped to watch. The PTI said to him : you're not going to back down in front of a crap hat are you?o_O Me, which is not usually my character, said, : they're crap hats too, until they get their wings up. Can I show him how it's done.

It ended with the PTI asking me my name and regiment and then telling me to get lost. I knew he wouldn't report me so just carried on with my run.

Yes but you don't have to be a fish, I'm not saying I can't swim at all, it's just not my strongest asset

1165finne welcome to the forum. Your army experience is definitely plus, but early discharge is minus. So if you can put that story in nice acceptable package... than you should tell them. If there is really big nasty story behind your discharge which you can't mask, then it's better to be quiet about your previous military experience.

I don't know, only you can decide what you want to tell them, but yes legion do accept guys with dishonorable discharges. Just that term "dishonorable" could be really wide spectrum of things.

As for swimming... you have enough time until winter to learn at least some. I heard some new stories that they ask from recruits some basic swimming, Don't know whether or not that is true, but it will not hurt you if you learn that skill which isn't hard to assure.
It wasn't a dishonorable discharge just early, I could of rejoined if I hadn't left it so long and yes I'll definitely be practicing in the pool

Hello 1165finne and a big welcome to the forum.

the last sentance should be changed for "do learn to swim, it could save your life" to "do learn to swim it could make the difference of getting in or a size 10 rangers up the backside and a return ticket"

The same as learning French. With so many candidates to choose from, saying that as soon as you decided to join you started to learn French, may tip the scales. With today's social media there is no excuse to turn up at the legion without knowing how to swim the minimum requirement or the basis of French. What I mean by that is you have been forewarned.

One more thing, quitting the army because of a girl, probably doesn't even sound romantic even to you today. It would be a no-go to a legion recruiter. Whatever reason you give, whatever you do, do not change it later on, coming clean so to speak.
Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely learning as much French as I can and practicing in the pool, no it definitely wasn't romantic, I put it down to being young stupid and horny

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Sounds a bit different to my days (grantfather days): if in base camp, get up at 6 am. bring or serve coffee and some food, if bring, then earlier, of course. Corvee, or doing whatever, heading for the bar around 11 am, knocking down a couple of Kronenbourgs, more if you’re an NCO. Preparing for the trip to town in the evening, getting a bit drunk and happy, returning by truck to Campe Pehau. Crash out, sleep, wash and repeat.

In the mountains, somewhat different. Get up around 4am by somebody shaking you, get dressed, grab your gun and rations, climb into the back of the truck, curse the guy who farted a stinky (Reclebe). Get dropped off in the middle of fucken nowwhere and be told which way to point your nose. March for ever doing, nothing Much happens, drop down and catch a couple of minutes sleep when you can.

Find not even an undfriendly mouse. Walk forever back up the hills of mountains where the trucks liked to park. They always parked on hills, probably for safety, and helicopter pilots never liked to fly back much, so walk back to camp it is.

I’ll try to upload a pic of a typical end of day in the legion (a long time ago when it was still interesting)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Dusa? You been boozin? I was just meaning there seems to be a dry up of english speakers (england/scotland/wales/ire) gb participants thats cant utter any french!!
Probably same as all other non francophones, Don't see why that would be attached only to anglos

From what ive seen lately francos seem to make more progress from anglos!!!
I mean, sure. It would be stupid for someone who speak really bad language spoken in army he is enlisting to get promoted in high ranks.

Probably same as all other non francophones, Don't see why that would be attached only to anglos

I mean, sure. It would be stupid for someone who speak really bad language spoken in army he is enlisting to get promoted in high ranks.
Aye mate. Just seems recently that people with more french obviously have the upper hand. I was drinking earlier might not have came across clearly bud.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Aye mate. Just seems recently that people with more french obviously have the upper hand. I was drinking earlier might not have came across clearly bud.
Of course you are right about francophones. As I understood they need at least one of them on every 2 to 3 non francos. (To help others learn language and even to translate basic orders )
So ... yeah man, I agree. ;)

1165finne,

Go for it 'carpe diem' a.s.a.p. What you disclose on interview is up to you. However keep it short so you have instant recall if queried on any statement you make.
Good luck.
Chas SF Club member and trained by former WW2 Cdos.

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
He said he was 7 rha which is the Para Gunners Artillery. As we had also 29 Commando Royal Artillery. I was Artillery and all of US did a swimming Test in 1985, treading water ..etc. This was in Basic Training Woolwich London. Some then volunteered for 7 rha or 29 Commando. Don't know how he got out because of a Woman because then the Minimum time was 3 years. You could PVR after 3 if you bought yourself out. I reckon he was discharched for another reason. i did 4 years R Artillery then 5 R Signals. Still live in Germany today. Was posted here in late 85 after Training. Wife is German.

He said he was 7 rha which is the Para Gunners Artillery. As we had also 29 Commando Royal Artillery. I was Artillery and all of US did a swimming Test in 1985, treading water ..etc. This was in Basic Training Woolwich London. Some then volunteered for 7 rha or 29 Commando. Don't know how he got out because of a Woman because then the Minimum time was 3 years. You could PVR after 3 if you bought yourself out. I reckon he was discharched for another reason. i did 4 years R Artillery then 5 R Signals. Still live in Germany today. Was posted here in late 85 after Training. Wife is German.
It's min 4 years now, when I left I applied for early discharge, told them I wasn't enjoying the army and didn't want to be there, the commanding officer let me have it as he said there was no point keeping someone who doesn't want to be there and I can swim it's just not my strongest ability

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
It's min 4 years now, when I left I applied for early discharge, told them I wasn't enjoying the army and didn't want to be there, the commanding officer let me have it as he said there was no point keeping someone who doesn't want to be there and I can swim it's just not my strongest ability
1165finne, No problem, take any certificates that you have of your service, black out the surname if you like, and post them before Monday evening.
And remember JF, I have your IP and mail address.
On that subject does anyone have any info on our night jumper, loustic, Alain, Dorsel , I mean the guy is ... ! I'm Not on face book, but the back reports I'm getting are worrying :coffee:.

If any of you out there are 'friends' with our phantom legionnaire, ask him to put out a photo of himself

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
yes it´s all changed… when i left end of 94 the British Army was taking in a lot of Commonwealth Country People such as guys from Fiji. I met a couple on a Radio op Course at Catterick in 91 i think it was. I was also on a Linesmans Course with two Gurkhas. A Sgt & Cpl. The Sgt was quite but the other was a good guy. we got him drunk on our end of Course piss up. Their selection to get in is hard. Both were Gurkha Signals. Best of luck Buddy.

Most viewed threads of the week