a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brit hoping to join

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Gentlemen,

The RMs' have 2 UK 'Chummy Regiments'. The Queen's my old TA regiment now the PWRR. In the 1880s' a ship taking the Queen's to India foundered. Saved they were taken back to RMB Chatham where all the surviving wives and children were cared for. To this day their Warrant Officers wear a blue lanyard.

The second is the Argyle and Sutherlands. During WW2 RM survivors joined the A&S and were the last composite unit fighting the Japs across the Singapore causeway. The RMs' were survivors from HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse. They went into captivity as a composite unit under the command of the A&S Colonel. He sadly died and a RM Captain took over command. This is celebrated by our annual football match for the A&S Bowl.

Finally we do an annual exchange with each regiment. One RM officer is attached to them . One from each of them passing the All Arms Commando Course (13/17 weeks) then gets attached to Commando Brigade for a year.

Both very fine regiments.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Gentlemen,

The RMs' have 2 UK 'Chummy Regiments'. The Queen's my old TA regiment now the PWRR. In the 1880s' a ship taking the Queen's to India foundered. Saved they were taken back to RMB Chatham where all the surviving wives and children were cared for. To this day their Warrant Officers wear a blue lanyard.

The second is the Argyle and Sutherlands. During WW2 RM survivors joined the A&S and were the last composite unit fighting the Japs across the Singapore causeway. The RMs' were survivors from HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse. They went into captivity as a composite unit under the command of the A&S Colonel. He sadly died and a RM Captain took over command. This is celebrated by our annual football match for the A&S Bowl.

Finally we do an annual exchange with each regiment. One RM officer is attached to them . One from each of them passing the All Arms Commando Course (13/17 weeks) then gets attached to Commando Brigade for a year.

Both very fine regiments.
The Argylls i met were good guys but i remember when i was on a Linesmans course, Driver Lineman was the name. You learned cable laying, no not Don 10.. you grunts used but Lightweight quad(black & white pair), / 7 quad, Lda quad, Hf quad. this was later in the R Signals. End of it you went to leckonsfield & did HGV 2. Anyway i needed a travel warrent from the Stirling careers office. Phoned them spoke to a W02 who later in the office tried to give me a hard time. Remember he had swallows tattooed on his hands. apart from him the argylls were top.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mad Mitch well that brings back some memories did not serve under him but a Legend
Argylls law..famous. A great man who i think put his men first. Did you know a Guy in the Argylls from Dunblane , Donald shannon. nickname was Del.

oldbreed

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
former weapon & tactic instructor USMC,get in peak condition so this will not be a problem,keep mouth shut do as your told, learn to swim better, should be fun,with summer here you can also meet girls .Swimming is a good way to get in basic condition have your story straight,based on truth,it is easy for them to check your military record
sgt Newton

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Struggle to remember my own name some days, faces yes but my recall memory is poor but it sort of rings a bell if that makes sense!

Don't worry. You have some time to go before you start having 'Senior Moments' like me. !:oops:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Memory and Glasses would be a bit rubbish at Bisley now! And if I got dropped of in a wood or unfamiliar surroundings I may even forget why I am their and just stay. 😀

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
You always support new guys, but sabotage me! Why's that mon Le petit? I mean, I respect you and like you but you ... You constantly pushing me away from you! :(

You never told any word of support, any encouragement, nothing! Just attacks and humiliations, why? You are just like my father! He also never supported me about anything :cry:. Im looking here for father figure, but nobody wants me. Am I so bad? Nobody cares about me, nobody gives a F. :cry:

Never mind, I'm walking this path alone. I don't need anyone. I'm a fighter.
Dusa, I like you. Just follow your dream. mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

Stop this introverted nonsense now. I support you and as Jonny says; Just follow your dream.

I still remain you honorary Uncle.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
That's mine usually alcohol induced moments of self-pityness. :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You are forgetting fast Le petit. Is not goats I'm herding?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
don't forget to take your wanking sock with you...:ROFLMAO: