Brit seeking a new adventure

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
Hi/Bonjour all!

Thank you for accepting me onto the cervens forum.

After a long serious think i am looking to join the FFL. I have nothing for me here, family is small and Civi work is just not for me. I miss the camaraderie, and the jobs i have had in civi street do not provide me with adventure and need to be back with a family and brothers again and have a routine and discipline.

I have a few questions, i have done my research already and as soon as i feel i am ready fitness wise i will be off, i'm already mentally prepared! January 2019 is when i'm looking to go to selection.

I'm 34 and have two kids, however this is with a past relationship and i do not have contact with them. I'm doing this for me and me only.

I'm in a fit/slim condition, i do not smoke and have never done so, i also drink sociably but on very rare occasions. I'm running about 1hr every other day about 10km maybe more on some days and practice the beep test weekly which i'm getting around level 11 now. Pull ups i'm getting about 5, so this is the area which i need to improve on. Sit up i can do 100 with ease and push up i can do also. I'm also a good swimmer and confident that i will pass the initial selection tests.

questions are:-

1) I have previous military experience in the HM forces in Infantry, and i have a operational tour under my belt. I understand this should help my chances? i joined in 2001 and left in 2006
2) I have one testicle due to a sport injury in the Army (torsion testicle), but this didn't effect my life nor did it effect my time in the HM Forces. Will this be a failure?
3) I do have a criminal record, however this is spent and will only show on a enhanced dbs check (fighting) 2007

I appreciate any answers.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Hi Deano and welcome
Previous expérience
Fit enougth but like you said. .you will need to improve on the pull ups. Make it daily and try to build up to 10. Do your first five and then repeat. ..eventualy you will be able to do more
No idea for the missing goolie. ..
Did you sign for your Kids and how old are they
2007 was your last or first condemation ?
What was the sentence?

OP
D
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
Hi le petit caporal,

I am doing the pull ups about 3 times a week but will make it every day, it can be a bit tricky to go to the gym every day, but i'm determined so i will.

I've tried to find out some more info on the legion recruitment page on the missing ball, but there is nothing there to say its a no no.

I did sign for my kids and they are 6 and 7.

2007 was when the sentence was given, i got a two year sentence and was for gbh, false imprisonment and battery. This was my first and last condemnation..

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
When i said evry day, i mean morning noon and evening. .
If you can not make it to the gym evry day, try using a home / door bar
When at the gym, if there is a cord / rope, climb it, without out using your feet. Several times
You sound fine for the rest of the physical stuff
2 years for GBH, is kind of serious and i cant prétend the Legion will not hold this against you
Your children : do you pay maintenance ?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Deanoo7,

Welcome to the forum. Your family situation is in control. You are minus one testicle due to a sports injury. I doubt that this will be a negative factor. Take medical evaluation if available. One operational tour will be regarded as an asset. Do not mention any past criminality. However if asked be honest and state that it is now time spent.

On the negative side in instruction you will have young inexperienced NCOs' chasing you about. Some without operational tours under their belts. You will be at the bottom of the food chain so remember that at all times

Get going A.S.A.P. and "Good Luck".

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi deano 007 and welcome to the forum. No-one can tell you what the legion Doc will say concerning your medical condition.
Teeth, are they all right -after seeing a dentist ?
Any infections or scabs?
If those two are go, then all you need to do is listen to the sound advice from Le petit caporal and Chas. Which means get to the gym if possible once a day. Pull ups and ropes.
Don't mention the GBH.
Once you have got the pull ups sorted, then go.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Got nothing to lose ..go try. You can only Win. Good luck (y)

OP
D
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
le petit - door bar is on order, there is no ropes at the gym i currently use but i'll try and find another gym that has a rope in to train on it, And no i do not pay any maintenance.
chas - thanks for the advice! I understand that younger nco's will be ordering me about, but i can take orders and will follow them regardless of age.
Joesph - again thanks for the advice!Dentist is booked in, my teeth are in good condition, i have one or two fillings and a caped tooth at the rear but there clean and healthy are all still present (bar the capped one). I have no infections or scabs, I'm all healthy.

2 months to get at least 10 pull ups done, i will do it!

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hi/Bonjour all!

Thank you for accepting me onto the cervens forum.

After a long serious think i am looking to join the FFL. I have nothing for me here, family is small and Civi work is just not for me. I miss the camaraderie, and the jobs i have had in civi street do not provide me with adventure and need to be back with a family and brothers again and have a routine and discipline.

I have a few questions, i have done my research already and as soon as i feel i am ready fitness wise i will be off, i'm already mentally prepared! January 2019 is when i'm looking to go to selection.

I'm 34 and have two kids, however this is with a past relationship and i do not have contact with them. I'm doing this for me and me only.

I'm in a fit/slim condition, i do not smoke and have never done so, i also drink sociably but on very rare occasions. I'm running about 1hr every other day about 10km maybe more on some days and practice the beep test weekly which i'm getting around level 11 now. Pull ups i'm getting about 5, so this is the area which i need to improve on. Sit up i can do 100 with ease and push up i can do also. I'm also a good swimmer and confident that i will pass the initial selection tests.

questions are:-

1) I have previous military experience in the HM forces in Infantry, and i have a operational tour under my belt. I understand this should help my chances? i joined in 2001 and left in 2006
2) I have one testicle due to a sport injury in the Army (torsion testicle), but this didn't effect my life nor did it effect my time in the HM Forces. Will this be a failure?
3) I do have a criminal record, however this is spent and will only show on a enhanced dbs check (fighting) 2007

I appreciate any answers.
PM me please. I can help..

Most viewed threads of the week