a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Armed force drop 5 year requirement for commonwealth nationals.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
It has happened as I alluded to earlier on this forum that the MoD is not meeting its recruitment quota and has decided to let citizens from the commonwealth to join up once again. In 2013 they decided to invoke a pre-existing clause to only accept recruits who lived in uk and territories for at least 5 years.

From what I remember the requirements for a squadie was to run 2.4km in 12 minutes and be in good physical condition. The process however differs greatly from the FFL. You have to go to the site of the MoD and apply you will be than assigned a consultant whom you will liaise with going forward. Once you have applied they will send you a letter to present yourself at a recruitment office in the UK. You can use the letter for visa application reasons. The process unlike the FFL process will take place with you living in civil life. You first go for initial interview, if you get past that you go for preselection. Pre selection is like an orientation to basically keep you excited and show you what to expect from selection. Selection is not longer than 2 weeks from what I remember. Here you are judged on run time, IQ, reasoning skills, push ups & sit ups and your interview. Must be medically fit (goes without saying).

The BA is a fully voluntary army this means you can walk at anytime you feel you not up to it. The fitness requirements are nothing like the FFL and you live wherever you choose (within distance of your regiment anyway).

I am intimately familiar with the process from a South African perspective. If anyone is interested or has questions I can answer them confidently, well at least with more authority than I have when speaking about the FFL! Age requirement if I remember correctly is 17.5 - 33.5 (or 32.5).

Something to consider for the ZA wannabes. Also loosen the congestion of too many ZA wannabes trying for the FFL, now there is more of a choice. Also you already know the language.....I hope.

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/age

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It has happened as I alluded to earlier on this forum that the MoD is not meeting its recruitment quota and has decided to let citizens from the commonwealth to join up once again. In 2013 they decided to invoke a pre-existing clause to only accept recruits who lived in uk and territories for at least 5 years.

From what I remember the requirements for a squadie was to run 2.4km in 12 minutes and be in good physical condition. The process however differs greatly from the FFL. You have to go to the site of the MoD and apply you will be than assigned a consultant whom you will liaise with going forward. Once you have applied they will send you a letter to present yourself at a recruitment office in the UK. You can use the letter for visa application reasons. The process unlike the FFL process will take place with you living in civil life. You first go for initial interview, if you get past that you go for preselection. Pre selection is like an orientation to basically keep you excited and show you what to expect from selection. Selection is not longer than 2 weeks from what I remember. Here you are judged on run time, IQ, reasoning skills, push ups & sit ups and your interview. Must be medically fit (goes without saying).

The BA is a fully voluntary army this means you can walk at anytime you feel you not up to it. The fitness requirements are nothing like the FFL and you live wherever you choose (within distance of your regiment anyway).

I am intimately familiar with the process from a South African perspective. If anyone is interested or has questions I can answer them confidently, well at least with more authority than I have when speaking about the FFL! Age requirement if I remember correctly is 17.5 - 33.5 (or 32.5).

Something to consider for the ZA wannabes. Also loosen the congestion of too many ZA wannabes trying for the FFL, now there is more of a choice. Also you already know the language.....I hope.

The Fitness requirements are nothing like the ffl ? Well I was told something else from a Sgt who was Ex Legion. Do you think they are all Rep Gods or what?

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Excellent news all round!
Yeah it is. Maybe get a visa to both destinations and if one goes pair shaped just get on over to the other end and give it a go. Fitness requirements aren’t as stringent in the BA but you have to live out of pocket for the process, but there are hostels for as cheap as £5 per night if you avoid the big cities.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it is. Maybe get a visa to both destinations and if one goes pair shaped just get on over to the other end and give it a go. Fitness requirements aren’t as stringent in the BA but you have to live out of pocket for the process, but there are hostels for as cheap as £5 per night if you avoid the big cities.
Depends what you join. The Paras & infantry are on par. Have you been in the British Army?

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Depends what you join. The Paras & infantry are on par. Have you been in the British Army?

The para fitness requirement is be able to run 2.4km in under 10 mins (9 mins being what is expected). That is pretty much all the fitness requirements they have and maybe no fear of heights.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The para fitness requirement is be able to run 2.4km in under 10 mins (9 mins being what is expected). That is pretty much all the fitness requirements they have and maybe no fear of heights.
Utter rubbish go and look at p company. Look at what they do. Listen i can assure you the infantry did lots of running. The quality of the Soldier will drop even further if they just let anyone join. I'm sure this is why the Legion have got so strict. I don't think dropping the 5 years is good. Not at all.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Utter rubbish go and look at p company. Look at what they do. Listen i can assure you the infantry did lots of running. The quality of the Soldier will drop even further if they just let anyone join. I'm sure this is why the Legion have got so strict. I don't think dropping the 5 years is good. Not at all.
I am fully confident on this! For the Para fitness requirement is to run 1.5 miles in under 10 mins (9 min preferably) and Jerry can carry. For a squadie it is 1.5 miles in under 12 mins 13/14 for female candidates and a Jerry can carry!

What you do once you are selected is a slightly different story but not as insane as the stories I’ve heard from the 2REP.

In the application and interview you are asked about the regiments of your choice and the interviewer advises you as to which regs to select based on the information you have given him. He’ll ask you how fit/smart are you and your likes/embitions and from there he’ll tell you that you should apply for “x”. During pre selection you lumped in as one group there is no this company or that company.

You are scored on a point system which will be explained to you and you will know how well or badly you did. Selection isn’t as abitrary as in the legion, you know if I score x amount in this my total score will be on y and I will qualify or I won’t qualify.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The PRMC is not a walk in the park and many persons fail. The Corps is not going soft.
On the latest Potential Officers Course 50% were binned or left of their own accord.
The first time ever.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am fully confident on this! For the Para fitness requirement is to run 1.5 miles in under 10 mins (9 min preferably) and Jerry can carry. For a squadie it is 1.5 miles in under 12 mins 13/14 for female candidates and a Jerry can carry!

What you do once you are selected is a slightly different story but not as insane as the stories I’ve heard from the 2REP.
I would not believe everything you hear. Next thing they walk on water. My Cousin was in the Paras. I am not saying anyone is better than anyone else but we are all human. I bet what chas did at his time was just as hard if not even harder. Not saying i myself was a super Rambo but I know what I saw too. Spoke to people who were there too. Anyway me I would try the Legion first. Less Chance of getting bummed in your bunk...LOL.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The PRMC is not a walk in the park and many persons fail. The Corps is not going soft.
On the latest Potential Officers Course 50% were binned or left of their own accord.
The first time ever.
Yeah..a high failure rate.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure if having another option is a good idea. I mean if you are getting cheesed off in Aubagne, you can say to yourself, forget it, there's always the Brits.
I'm not trying to influence anyone here, but I would advise you to make a choice, the Legion or the British Army. Do not expect the same standards in the Legion as was shown in the ad sexpert posted.
Let's be honest, who is going to feel safe with a bar tender, homo who is praying 4 times a day and happens to be the biggest baddest guy in the dormitory?
And if you are homo do you really think that your fellow squaddies are just going to shrug their shoulders and say 'Oh well, it's up to him." There are gays in the legion, but they keep very discreet about it.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
The first time ever.
I cannot speak on PRMC selection and training but for the Regular Army the fitness requirements are not as hard as the FFL. For example there were no pull ups, the biggest test was the running of 1.5miles. I remember one lad was having trouble with push ups and they told him to bring his hands closer together so it would be easier. There is no shouting or yelling but instructions are given in a calm and tone.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
French paras are now trained by private contractors (externalisation)
French army is lacking 1000 officers and 3000 NCO s supérieur
Depyramidisation, is what it's called
Cut backs, if you prefer
Pre recrutement center in Tahiti
Company réservistes per regiment
Thank the lord we still have the Boy/Girls Scouts

Last edited:

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I'm not sure if having another option is a good idea. I mean if you are getting cheesed off in Aubagne, you can say to yourself, forget it, there's always the Brits.
I'm not trying to influence anyone here, but I would advise you to make a choice, the Legion or the British Army. Do not expect the same standards in the Legion as was shown in the ad sexpert posted.
Let's be honest, who is going to feel safe with a bar tender, homo who is praying 4 times a day and happens to be the biggest baddest guy in the dormitory?
And if you are homo do you really think that your fellow squaddies are just going to shrug their shoulders and say 'Oh well, it's up to him." There are gays in the legion, but they keep very discreet about it.

That’s true. I am working under the assumption that when you leave SA for Europe you are not going to think of giving up but will be rather kicked out whether justly or unjustly. And once the worst of the worst has happened you can than exercise option Bravo. It goes without saying whatever you choose detailed thought has to go into it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I cannot speak on PRMC selection and training but for the Regular Army the fitness requirements are not as hard as the FFL. For example there were no pull ups, the biggest test was the running of 1.5miles. I remember one lad was having trouble with push ups and they told him to bring his hands closer together so it would be easier. There is no shouting or yelling but instructions are given in a calm and tone.
maybe now but not before. So how come they never took you? :unsure: guess you were too good..eh?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Would be no bum Bandits in my Tank... Tell ya that ...loool

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
How have you come to that conclusion?

No pull UPS ? We did them. I had to go to redford bks Edinburgh. Full incline sit UPS, wooden Bench hooked on wall Bars rope to put feet in. A wooden beam for heaves to the beam. A jump Test chalk on fingers. Push UPS...a bft run outside. Oh & by the way if you put your hands closer on a Push up it's harder Triceps work harder lesser chest. Opposite with a wider Grip & like wide chins a shorter range of Motion so we did all variations, wide, shoulder width..close Diamond Push UPS. I don't think you've ever tried to join the British Army. Smells of BS to me.