a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Armed force drop 5 year requirement for commonwealth nationals.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
No pull UPS ? We did them. I had to go to redford bks Edinburgh. Full incline sit UPS, wooden Bench hooked on wall Bars rope to put feet in. A wooden beam for heaves to the beam. A jump Test chalk on fingers. Push UPS...a bft run outside. Oh & by the way if you put your hands closer on a Push up it's harder Triceps work harder lesser chest. Opposite with a wider Grip & like wide chins a shorter range of Motion so we did all variations, wide, shoulder width..close Diamond Push UPS. I don't think you've ever tried to join the British Army. Smells of BS to me.

I can’t control what you choose to believe and harbour no interest in doing so, you are a grown man believe whatever tickles your fancy....I’m not here to stroke egos of grown men.

On the question of push ups: there is the wide grip (used to shape outer and lower chest) this is hard to maintain for an extended period, there is than the shoulder length push up (probably the easiest) and then come the closed hands push ups for inner chest and triceps. If you had asked for clarity I could have easily clarified.

For a man of your advanced years you have a tendency to jump to conclusions of a 12 year old. Not understanding something is not degrading have the humility to ask for clarification. You insist on getting offended at things that don’t require such melodramaticism.

I don’t mean to question your intelligence but surely it would be more prudent if you actually did a little bit of research before coming down on me with out dated information as your shield. Surely your many years on this earth must have at least taught you that much! Once again I mean you no personal disrespect but I just don’t understand why we arguing like idiots when you could (on the very computer you are using) google this information?

What could I possibly have to gain by lying on this forum? I am hardly here, I have no friends on here to impress, my only interest in this site is the information offered. We can do better Mr Sexpert.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I can’t control what you choose to believe and harbour no interest in doing so, you are a grown man believe whatever tickles your fancy....I’m not here to stroke egos of grown men.

On the question of push ups: there is the wide grip (used to shape outer and lower chest) this is hard to maintain for an extended period, there is than the shoulder length push up (probably the easiest) and then come the closed hands push ups for inner chest and triceps. If you had asked for clarity I could have easily clarified.

For a man of your advanced years you have a tendency to jump to conclusions of a 12 year old. Not understanding something is not degrading have the humility to ask for clarification. You insist on getting offended at things that don’t require such melodramaticism.
go troll some where else. inner chest?? i suggest you learn about anatomy . The muscle works as a whole but i´m not going to waste time on an internet troll.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
lots of studies out there. read them. This proves my point. The Decline or flat press will also train the so call "upper chest". Look at the study. The Decline worked it ALL.. one exercise. By the way Dorian yates Mr Olympia preferred this as it also is better for shoulders. I do not do incline at all now. It´s not a good exercise. all this nonsence about inner,upper, outer. you can never isolate a muscle group(s) either it´s just not anatomically possible. are you going to waste time on exercises that will not give max benefits?
https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/...romyographical_Activity_of_the_Pectoralis.6.a

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This is purely a personal opinion.

If I was now a young man I would opt for the RM rather than the Parachute Regiment.
Both have tough courses. Pegasus Company is short sharp and brutal. The emphasis on aggression at all times. The commando course is a very long slog carrying heavy loads and requires great mental fortitude. Also in its duration men actually practise battle drills and endure sleep deprivation as opposed to P. Coy. The courses are structured for different purposes and are completely different beasts.

Possibly the fact that I passed Para Regt selection in late 1958 under the eagle eyes of Capt. Farrar Hockley (Glosters) POW Korea and subsequently known as Farrar the Para enabled me to get last vacancy for the Corps. (4th). My Coy Cdr was a RM Major with the MC and we mutually loathed each other ! Other RM officer cadets who did not get a slot went to the Army

Now less personal BS. My preference is this, in so much as I believe the RM to be much more multi skilled. Second presently we do not have enough planes, time or equipment to undertake parachute jumps . Hence there are very many disillusioned young men who have passed selection, wear the red beret but have never completed their jumps.

Many RMs' are para qualified and can jump with the USMC. It is indeed a sad day for our once superb Paras.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This may be of interest. The limit for joining the Regular Army as a soldier is 33 and as an officer 29. Other serving age limits also apply to certain roles such as SF.

Now I am an old dinosaur and am against women serving in the infantry with all that can involve.;)

The 2016 parliamentary review into women in ground combat roles said that, compared with men, females are 40 percent less strong and twice as likely to suffer musculoskeletal injury as well as having lower battlefield survivability and lethality.(n)

I fail to comprehend why now the British Army is offering our gallant females, an option, to opt for infantry combat roles or even SF.

Simply ignoring the complex male and female physiology I consider it to be plain bloody daft. But what would I know ?:unsure:

I am of course cognizant of Lt. Pippa Tattersall earning her CGB. But much of it was hidden and she took parts of the course in repeated phases and failed a major obstacle on the 'Bottom Field'. Any person can do it in stages over a few months. The object is to pass all the Cdo tests after one week in the field enduring hell, sleep deprivation, load marches, map reading, tactics and use of all weapons. Now it looks like PC nonsense is returning.:mad:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This may be of interest. The limit for joining the Regular Army as a soldier is 33 and as an officer 29. Other serving age limits also apply to certain roles such as SF.

Now I am an old dinosaur and am against women serving in the infantry with all that can involve.;)

The 2016 parliamentary review into women in ground combat roles said that, compared with men, females are 40 percent less strong and twice as likely to suffer musculoskeletal injury as well as having lower battlefield survivability and lethality.(n)

I fail to comprehend why now the British Army is offering our gallant females, an option, to opt for infantry combat roles or even SF.

Simply ignoring the complex male and female physiology I consider it to be plain bloody daft. But what would I know ?:unsure:

I am of course cognizant of Lt. Pippa Tattersall earning her CGB. But much of it was hidden and she took parts of the course in repeated phases and failed a major obstacle on the 'Bottom Field'. Any person can do it in stages over a few months. The object is to pass all the Cdo tests after one week in the field enduring hell, sleep deprivation, load marches, map reading, tactics and use of all weapons. Now it looks like PC nonsense is returning.:mad:
chas i remember that around 91/92 they started to integrate women into the Royal Signals. Ever seen a woman trying to track bash in bad conditions? useless .. infact i remember at 1 Div when i was in a Radio Squadron we had 2 females come to us. All they did was keep up the moral of the troops... one soon got pregnant..who was the father? .. good question..:ROFLMAO:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Now less personal BS. My preference is this, in so much as I believe the RM to be much more multi skilled. Second presently we do not have enough planes, time or equipment to undertake parachute jumps . Hence there are very many disillusioned young men who have passed selection, wear the red beret but have never completed their jumps.

-------------------

Externalisation : Civilian cadre and material, planes as well
To do the training
Ex Soldiers running shop (but in concurrence with others)
MOD, to find the bargain s
No maintenance, stockage and protection costs for the material utilised. .sounds wise to me

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

-------------------

Externalisation : Civilian cadre and material, planes as well
To do the training
Ex Soldiers running shop (but in concurrence with others)
MOD, to find the bargain s
No maintenance, stockage and protection costs for the material utilised. .sounds wise to me
yes we know all others are less than the marines...:unsure: i can tell you one thing they need 29 commando for their Gunnery & to bring in fire from their boats... Army commandos ..well they did start as Army ;) can be as fit as you want but if you are thick as shit it won´t help anyone ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
never mind all this para, commando BS... my Recce Tank is only for intelligent people. The Rambos can catch the bullets :)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

The Marine Corps opened Combat Arms to female Marines, the caveat here, one MUST PASS THE INFANTRYMAN COURSE WITH NO AND I MEAN NO STANDARDS WATERED DOWN. Now, there was 1 female Marine that passed the course, she recently received punishment for Fraternization with Junior Marines, she was a Corporal, she was scheduled to be discharged from the Marine Corps.

Most men, a very very high attrition rate, around 50% DO NOT PASS THE COURSE INFANTRY COURSE AND ESPECIALLY THE INFANTRY OFFICERS COURSE.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
chas i remember that around 91/92 they started to integrate women into the Royal Signals. Ever seen a woman trying to track bash in bad conditions? useless .. infact i remember at 1 Div when i was in a Radio Squadron we had 2 females come to us. All they did was keep up the moral of the troops... one soon got pregnant..who was the father? .. good question..:ROFLMAO:

In my Engineering Battalion during the Gulf War, Desert Storm, and every tour in Iraq, 2003, 2004, and 2005 several female Marines were sent home during the deployment because they mysteriously ended up pregnant. Same as Sexpert said, "who's the daddy?" Mysteriously, we had many Virgin Births.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my Engineering Battalion during the Gulf War, Desert Storm, and every tour in Iraq, 2003, 2004, and 2005 several female Marines were sent home during the deployment because they mysteriously ended up pregnant. Same as Sexpert said, "who's the daddy?" Mysteriously, we had many Virgin Births.
haha... good for moral :p