a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken bones

big_al

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I read on here last night on a guy's post that when he made through basic and into REP that they x-rayed his legs and spine and the parts of the body put through the most stress even when he didn't have any scars to indicate surgery. My question is do they x-ray you before basic or just before you leave for REP, (if you get that far) or is this a lie/myth that they go to this much effort.

True Metal

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
All parachute regiments make detailed check-ups and x-rays. I suppose the REP is no exception. A green will know better though.

belabok

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
It all depends. I know someone who was in the REP and broke a bone badly, got some screws in a leg and could not continue with REP and was tranfered. I think just a broken bone is not that bad. I think all depends on seriousness of broken bones and how they healed. The guy were told that in 2 years maybe when the screws are removed he might be able to come back, so that do say that to certain extend they are leniant on "type" of broken bone.

big_al

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
The leg was a bad break, 1 year till it's healed fully. 8 more months lol. and my lower back was only a fracture and my neck was a fairly bad break. I'm not too worried about the REP, just the Legion in general. After the appointment today it got me worried.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Personally I would wait until it's healed. If they check and find out it didn't, you'll be sent home (probably ‘inapte temporaire’, until you're ok) if they don't check and you make a wrong move and force it, it can become very painful and delay the healing. Specially the bones in your leg(s), since there will be a lot of running involved.

big_al

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Even when the bones are all good, an x-ray will still be able to see where the breaks were. Thanks for the advice though. Could some greens please advise if x rays are actually taken?

big_al

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
So no one that is serving or ex knows if this is true or not? because this is the only thing determining of im going or not

Road2FFL

Reaction score
Home Country
China
You can PM some greens, there are plenty of them.
You may be rejected even if you go, but there are still chances to be selected, however if you don't go, then you'll never get the chance to wear the kepi blanc, you betcha.
I tell you what, mate, I broke my bones twice, but I will still take a crack at it.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I am not sure, but I believe that only if you have surgical screws inserted to heal broken bones that you will be rejected. As far I know, only chest x-rays are routinely taken.

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
If you are capable of completing fitness tests etc and a break does not show ie physically then you will be fine ,if you turn up and tell them you broke your leg then obviously they will send you for an x ray

jackecw

Reaction score
Home Country
England
i have pins in my collar bone but its all fine and it does not stop me in any way. but there is a big scar. should i just keep my mouth shut unless asked ?

Gallowglass

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
If they see a scar they'll ask about it, especially one that looks surgical. I had a 6cm plate in my ankle that was missed in Paris and again in Aubagne. It was picked up at Castel and the doctor was not amused! He sent me to the military hospital in Toulouse for x-rays. Once they established what the issue was they were cool about it. Told me it would have to be removed if I wanted to join the REP. Unfortunately I then broke the other ankle in two places at La Jasse (only two bones I've broken in my life) and that pretty much ruled the REP out for me.

jackecw

Reaction score
Home Country
England
ok thats interesting thank you for that. i also would like to join the rep. as its in my shoulder not my leg and there for not under the same impact from running ext would i have to have it removed as well ?

gatorojo ✞

Missed friend...
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
ok thats interesting thank you for that. i also would like to join the rep. as its in my shoulder not my leg and there for not under the same impact from running ext would i have to have it removed as well ?

Cn you do a dead hang from that arm for 60 seconds? If so, you're probably good to go; if not, you may have problems.

jackecw

Reaction score
Home Country
England
yep thats no problem with it. iv been playing rugby tackling on it lifting in the gym ,push ups, swimming and nothing niggles it. i only ask as the uk military has rejected me because of it they did not even see if i could function with it. just said u have it so no. this is why i want to join the FFL

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If they see a scar they'll ask about it, especially one that looks surgical. I had a 6cm plate in my ankle that was missed in Paris and again in Aubagne. It was picked up at Castel and the doctor was not amused! He sent me to the military hospital in Toulouse for x-rays. Once they established what the issue was they were cool about it. Told me it would have to be removed if I wanted to join the REP. Unfortunately I then broke the other ankle in two places at La Jasse (only two bones I've broken in my life) and that pretty much ruled the REP out for me.

How did they miss it? And how did the final doctor pick it up?