a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Christmas Crèches

Sarahlouise

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I'm guessing most of the current or ex legionnaires have built a crèche with their sections whilst serving at this time of year. How long has the tradition been around? Since Algeria? Quite a big competition by the sounds of it. I heard one budding crèche building legionnaire who at the time was based in Tahiti had a brain wave of making a lagoon with live fish in it. Collected all sorts. Great idea until the fish all kicked the bucket just before presentation!

View attachment 5716

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi All, I'm guessing most of the current or ex legionnaires have built a crèche with their sections whilst serving at this time of year. How long has the tradition been around? Since Algeria? Quite a big competition by the sounds of it. I heard one budding crèche building legionnaire who at the time was based in Tahiti had a brain wave of making a lagoon with live fish in it. Collected all sorts. Great idea until the fish all kicked the bucket just before presentation!

View attachment 5716
It's funny you should bring up the subject of crèches, since there is a big polémique (controversy), in France about this. Most mayor offices have the traditional crèche over Christmas, Jesus the three kings, Mary and Joe etc. Nothing wrong there you may say.

Oh no! wait, the Muslims don't agree with this as, if I'm not wrong, Jesus was a Christian. That's not fair on Muslims. Our Arab friends do profit from the time off over the period and it is rare to see an Arab volunteering for duty in a factory during that time. It goes to show that if you have traditions that you value, you will nowadays get a spanner in the spokes with someone crying out racist and more social benefits.

Sarahlouise

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
if I'm not wrong, Jesus was a christian. That's not fair on muslims. Our Arab friends do profit from the time off over the period and it is rare to see an Arab voluteering for duty in a factory during that time. It goes to show that if you have traditions that you value, you will nowadys get a spanner in the spokes with someone crying out racist and more social benefits.

Sorry my dear Joseph, but you are wrong : if you read correctly your Bible, you would know that Jesus, Maria and Joseph (not you, the other) were Jews. And really practicing Jews !
So ...

And anyway, what's the **** : does it matter since "the crèche" is a symbol used by Christians and I am not a believer ?

lol

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Good point Loustic and I certainly don't want to get in to a discussion about relegion. It's a big no no here.
So to lighten up the atmeshpere a religious joke:

Two blokes meet up in the pub for a beer. Jack says to his mate Dan, ' you look a bit down.'
Dan answeres, 'yea I told a joke to my wife about the Pope and Catholics and she took it badly'
'That's a bit daft as you know she's a Catholic' says Jack.
'Yea, but I didn't know the Pope was !'

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Having to build a crèche sounds quite a ball ache , a little weird even, I could see more merit in making toys for local kids or something like that.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Having to build a crèche sounds quite a ball ache , a little weird even, I could see more merit in making toys for local kids or something like that.
The aim is to work together and glorify the Legion for the major feast of the legionnaire, Christmas (no religion associated, simply the solstice !). This moment when days are shortest (at least in France) is THE moment when the Legion celebrates each of its members, it is very different of Camerone when the institution celebrates itself !

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
The aim is to work together and glorify the legion for the major feast of the legionnaire, Christmas (no religion associated, simply the solstice !). This moment when days are shortest (at least in France) is THE moment when the Legion celebrates each of its members, it is very different of Camerone when the institution celebrates itself !

There was a classic crèche in the 13 eme called "Apocalypse Noël" which was commissioned by Adj Bailey, the scene was a battleground with a stable in the middle. The story line, you could not make up. Something like a company of Legionnaires is pinned down by the enemy and at the last moment when all hope is lost "Baby Jesus" is brought in on a Chopper and delivers the Legionnaires from certain doom. During presentation the Helicopter came in tied to string and crash landed and the voice over sounded like the Sergeant Chef telling the story was absolutely pissed and barely audible over the chopper whop whop, gun fire, and "Silent Night" in German. The lighting failed and people were trying to make sense of what was going on. It was like someone had built a crèche and dropped some bad acid. Some kid in the audience of civies stared crying when the baby Jesus doll broke. All guilty parties made themselves scarce.

Yeah but that's what sweet memories are made of.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There was a classic creche in the 13eme called "Apocalypse Noel" which was commissioned by Adj Bailey, the scene was a battleground with a stable in the middle. The story line, you could not make up. Something like a company of Legionnaires is pinned down by the enemy and at the last moment when all hope is lost "Baby Jesus" is bought in on a Chopper and delivers the Legionnaires from certain doom. During presentation the Helicopter came in tied to string and crash landed and the voice over sounded like the Sergeant Chef telling the story was absolutely pissed and barely audible over the chopper whop whop, gun fire, and "Silent Night" in German. The lighting failed and people were trying to make sense of what was going on. It was like someone had built a creche and dropped some bad acid. Some kid in the audience of civies stared crying when the baby Jesus doll broke. All guilty parties made themselves scarce.

Yeah but that's what sweet memories are made of.

Did the crèche win ?

Surfguy a tradition is a tradition and no-one asks if anyone finds it a balls ache. Other traditions are the sketches where the legionnaires take the p*ss out of the cadre and building the sections bar which is usually open during the building of the crèche and rehersals, such is the legion.

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

It was never about giving or Christmas or anything nice. It is about competition with the other sections/peletons.

Nobody gives a toss about the local rats going hungry. It's about winning. And then drinking and then beating each other up.... God I miss those days....

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It was never about giving or Christmas or anything nice. It is about competition with the other sections/peletons.

Nobody gives a toss about the local rats going hungry. It's about winning. And then drinking and then beating each other up.... God I miss those days....

SNAP, about the only time in the Legion when EVERY section had a bar and you would be crawling around for days on end!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hey Don Pedro. I already started to get worry about you. Nice to see you again.

"Todays wimps" Like me? I guess we all like that these days. :)

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
France is a 'christian' nation... Catholic to the majority, next is the protestants and all the little 'gone our own way' offsprings, after that, i really don't care where you places your religion, it don't feed, nor bring happiness, nor Peace. Feck Religions! France is a Laïc nation and you are free to belive, in, what you want and whom you want. :)

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
France is a 'christian' nation... Catholic to the majority, next is the protestants and all the little 'gone our own way' offsprings, after that, i really don't care where you places your religion, it don't feed, nor bring happiness, nor Peace. Feck Religions! France is a Laïc nation and you are free to belive, in, what you want and whom you want. :)

And you are also free to believe in nothing !

But the crèches tradition in the legion is not about Christ, but about the solstice ! That's why it is universal and all legionnaires accept this tradition (and the Christmas feast) as a major element of their life !

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
(...) But the crèches tradition in the legion is not about Christ, but about the solstice ! That's why it is universal and all legionnaires accept this tradition (and the Christmas feast) as a major element of their life !

Said whom and can you prove that? I know you where born with the last rain and kiss arse when you are told to, me little brother, time for you to THINK outside the box. :)

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
This thread is typical of the Legion. It starts with a sober discussion on a topic, descends into depraved comparisons of sexual misconduct or violence, turns to a hot topic like religion, politics or race and then the mud slinging and insults erupts before fists fly. As soon as Jeffers appeared in the thread I knew it was going to start.:D