a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulgarian who will join the FFL.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello guys! So first I will introduce myself as I know one of the moderators doesn't really like people who don't introduce themselves. šŸ˜€

So my name is Kristiyan and I'm originally from Bulgaria but I lived in the UK for the last 4-5 years. I'm 17 yrs old but by the time I join I'll be 18.
For the last 4 years i've wanted to join the army and more specifically the FFL as it looks like very disciplined and well trained army.

Since I came to London my life is very boring as I don't like the things kids do here as I'm used to being in the forest and just being in the wild walking around nature and there really isn't much of it here even in the parks as they are like perfectly looked after so that's the only thing I enjoy which is close to nature....

So i will finish college and go straight back to Bulgaria in July and I really don't want to come back to London and carry on with this depressing life.

I used to be fit but I stopped exercising since we moved houses and I started college so for the last 2 years I got up to 110kg...and I'm 185cm tall btw, so since the beginning of 2019 I started exercising and right now I'm 95kg and until I join the legion I will be even fitter and meet the requirements with good results hopefully.

I dont really want to join the Bulgarian army as many people told me the only way to join is with connections and money...and even you join you won't do anything really... So they basically told me it's parody of army. šŸ˜€
So I will work for a few months in Bulgaria, 2 of which will be in a forest chopping trees down which I'm sure will improve my fitness even more and than I will go to France! I also started learning some basic French.
Btw I haven't done any crimes and I haven't taken drugs.... I mean I tried weed once but that's it.

So now my questions are:
1. Are there any buses from the airport in MarseIlle to Aubagne? ( I checked online but couldn't find info about it.)

2. This might sound stupid but.... Am I gonna be allowed to take my bagpipe to the legion after a few months or years and play in my free time?

3.Are there many Bulgarians in the legion?

4. As I plan to join after September can you suggest me when I have biggest chance to get in.
October,November or December?

5. Am i gonna be able to use my phone after some time and just tell my parents that I'm alive.?

6. How do you get paid. I mean do you get bank account or do they just give you cash?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
I can tell you it is recommended to take a coach from Marseille to Aubagne if I remember correctly. People here will warn you of taxis waiting to rip you off.

Here are other things I have learned:
Not sure about which time of month. Old saying goes "best time is now". Earlier in the year may be better.

But join on a Monday to avoid wasting your time and Legion's time. You'll be out, or on the next stage by the week.

And join in early afternoon. Morning means you are bored and hungry. Noon is when they eat.

Celestin

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
1. From Marseille Airport (Marignane area) you can take the train from Vitrolles to Aubagne. You can also go by bus (line 091, 100) but the easiest and cheapest way is by train.

2. After the instruction (usually 4-5 months) you will be able to use your phone and you will get all your valuables back.

4. Just go.

6. The Legion keep your money in their bank account.

Good luck !

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hello Bulgarin,
You can always ask and guys here will help, but using "search" button you will find 99% of the answers.
When it comes to LLE info - it's a gold mine.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Welcome/Š—Š“рŠ°ŠµŠ¹ Bulgarin if you need any help preparing for the FFL you can ask me or when you come to Bulgaria we can talk via phone or we can meet. I would like to warn you about your age. To be on 18's is good and no good. The Legion likes clear minds in order to fill them in their way, the bad thing is that you do not have the life experience still. So it will be hard for you in the beginning to comply to all things there. I am glad that young man like you wants to dedicate his life to the Legion. It is big step and you need to thing very clearly and wisely about your next steps. And last words...aboyt your weight i thing for your tallness 1.85 it is good to be around 85kg and of course this mass should be mostly muscles with as little as possible body fat.
Good luck and be fortune!

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Welcome/Š—Š“рŠ°ŠµŠ¹ Bulgarin if you need any help preparing for the FFL you can ask me or when you come to Bulgaria we can talk via phone or we can meet. I would like to warn you about your age. To be on 18's is good and no good. The Legion likes clear minds in order to fill them in their way, the bad thing is that you do not have the life experience still. So it will be hard for you in the beginning to comply to all things there. I am glad that young man like you wants to dedicate his life to the Legion. It is big step and you need to thing very clearly and wisely about your next steps. And last words...aboyt your weight i thing for your tallness 1.85 it is good to be around 85kg and of course this mass should be mostly muscles with as little as possible body fat.
Good luck and be fortune!
Thank you! I'll be really happy to hear how to prepare before joining. Also do you live in Bulgaria and are you Bulgarian? I'll be happy to meet you when I come back to Bulgaria and listen about the things I should do. You can dm me answer if you want.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello guys! So first I will introduce myself as I know one of the moderators doesn't really like people who don't introduce themselves. šŸ˜€

So my name is Kristiyan and I'm originally from Bulgaria but I lived in the UK for the last 4-5 years. I'm 17 yrs old but by the time I join I'll be 18.
For the last 4 years i've wanted to join the army and more specifically the FFL as it looks like very disciplined and well trained army.

Since I came to London my life is very boring as I don't like the things kids do here as I'm used to being in the forest and just being in the wild walking around nature and there really isn't much of it here even in the parks as they are like perfectly looked after so that's the only thing I enjoy which is close to nature....

So i will finish college and go straight back to Bulgaria in July and I really don't want to come back to London and carry on with this depressing life.

I used to be fit but I stopped exercising since we moved houses and I started college so for the last 2 years I got up to 110kg...and I'm 185cm tall btw, so since the beginning of 2019 I started exercising and right now I'm 95kg and until I join the legion I will be even fitter and meet the requirements with good results hopefully.

I dont really want to join the Bulgarian army as many people told me the only way to join is with connections and money...and even you join you won't do anything really... So they basically told me it's parody of army. šŸ˜€
So I will work for a few months in Bulgaria, 2 of which will be in a forest chopping trees down which I'm sure will improve my fitness even more and than I will go to France! I also started learning some basic French.
Btw I haven't done any crimes and I haven't taken drugs.... I mean I tried weed once but that's it.

So now my questions are:
1. Are there any buses from the airport in MarseIlle to Aubagne? ( I checked online but couldn't find info about it.)

2. This might sound stupid but.... Am I gonna be allowed to take my bagpipe to the legion after a few months or years and play in my free time?

3.Are there many Bulgarians in the legion?

4. As I plan to join after September can you suggest me when I have biggest chance to get in.
October,November or December?

5. Am i gonna be able to use my phone after some time and just tell my parents that I'm alive.?

6. How do you get paid. I mean do you get bank account or do they just give you cash?
Any time is good! And itā€™s just a matter of courtesy to introduce yourself properly on the forum. which you did so well done. Joseph wonā€™t bite! But he likes protocol! For the rest I will let others answer your questions. Best of luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Any time is good! And itā€™s just a matter of courtesy to introduce yourself properly on the forum. which you did so well done. Joseph wonā€™t bite! But he likes protocol! For the rest I will let others answer your questions. Best of luck.
Thank you!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Welcome Bulgarian to the forum. Here is the easiest way to get to Aubagne from the Airport in Marseilles :
Although this has been said before, I'll say it again. When you get to the arrivals terminal, go out side and turn right. You keep going until you come to a blue couloured coach with the word Marseille on it. On the Front will be written "Navette gare St Charles" There will be a ticket booth to buy your ticket. If it is closed (depending on what time you arrive) you can pay the bus driver. It costs around 9 (nine) euros. It will take you directly to the train station.
Prepare a piece of paper with the words, ā€œNavetteā€ and ā€œGare Saint-Charlesā€. Saint-Charles is pronounced San Sharle (in as much a French accent as can muster).
4620 4621

From there, you can take the train to Aubagne or get a cheap hotel and get over the jet lag. The train should cost somewhere around 4 (four) euros. Remember to punch (ā€œcomposterā€ in French) your ticket before getting onboard. This is done at the head of the quay (platform) in a yellow machine. Make sure you hear the 'click' of the stamp. If you see the words ā€œtournez votre billetā€ (meaning: turn your ticket dummy) keep turning it around until you hear the 'click'

The train ride is around 15 minutes. First stop Marseille Blancard, second stop Aubagne. Go right out of the train station and go straight. Avoid the McDonalds on the left. If the lure is too much avoid the cheese burgers. Keep going straight (Red Lion pub on your right) through the tunnel. Do not take the road that leads off to the right, unless you want to visit the museum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Welcome Bulgarian to the forum. Here is the easiest way to get to Aubagne from the Airport in Marseilles :
Although this has been said before, I'll say it again. When you get to the arrivals terminal, go out side and turn right. You keep going until you come to a blue couloured coach with the word Marseille on it. On the Front will be written "Navette gare St Charles" There will be a ticket booth to buy your ticket. If it is closed (depending on what time you arrive) you can pay the bus driver. It costs around 9 (nine) euros. It will take you directly to the train station.
Prepare a piece of paper with the words, ā€œNavetteā€ and ā€œGare Saint-Charlesā€. Saint-Charles is pronounced San Sharle (in as much a French accent as can muster).
View attachment 4620 View attachment 4621

From there, you can take the train to Aubagne or get a cheap hotel and get over the jet lag. The train should cost somewhere around 4 (four) euros. Remember to punch (ā€œcomposterā€ in French) your ticket before getting onboard. This is done at the head of the quay (platform) in a yellow machine. Make sure you hear the 'click' of the stamp. If you see the words ā€œtournez votre billetā€ (meaning: turn your ticket dummy) keep turning it around until you hear the 'click'

The train ride is around 15 minutes. First stop Marseille Blancard, second stop Aubagne. Go right out of the train station and go straight. Avoid the McDonalds on the left. If the lure is too much avoid the cheese burgers. Keep going straight (Red Lion pub on your right) through the tunnel. Do not take the road that leads off to the right, unless you want to visit the museum.
Thank's a lot! That's really good explanation!

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello Guys,

i would like just to announce that our Bulgarin will report at the gates of Paris tomorrow morning. Hope everything will be ok with him. He trained hard and prepared himself physically and mentally. As he told me he can make easily 15 chin-ups and Luc Leger 9th level, also he ran 2.95KM for 12mins. I am not sure if there is such test but he was runining every day beating the clock :) I hope that he can push himself harder in order to achieve maximum "points" during the sport test.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well done our Bulgarian friend for taking the leap.
And well done our Mod friend for taking the time to explain how to get to Aubagne:rolleyes: Either way the best of luck to you,
please note 3 previous posts.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello Guys,

i would like just to announce that our Bulgarin will report at the gates of Paris tomorrow morning. Hope everything will be ok with him. He trained hard and prepared himself physically and mentally. As he told me he can make easily 15 chin-ups and Luc Leger 9th level, also he ran 2.95KM for 12mins. I am not sure if there is such test but he was runining every day beating the clock :) I hope that he can push himself harder in order to achieve maximum "points" during the sport test.
Sounds good. Did he learn any French?šŸ¤”

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well done our Bulgarian friend for taking the leap.
And well done our Mod friend for taking the time to explain how to get to Aubagne:rolleyes: Either way the best of luck to you,
please note 3 previous posts.
Let them learn the hard way Joseph if they canā€™t read behind the lines.šŸ™„ for those who want To make it. Nowadays itā€™s very important to learn French! The threads on questions on all the tests physical/ and others are up to date. Read and digest!
You can be the worlds best when it comes to weight lifting / boxing/ martial arts. Those fall by the wayside if you donā€™t have the stamina! Long days/ nights marching through the desert šŸ« / jungle loaded with 70/80 pounds of kit and ammo for days on end. That makes the difference!