C 130 J

Ratings
921 9 8
Home Country
North Korea
The second C-130J has arrived at BA123 (Base aérienne 123, Air Force base 123) “Commandant Charles Paoli” at Orléans-Bricy and has been assigned to Airlift Squadron 2/61 “Franche-Comté”. This may interest some wannabe parachutist, no doubt. Rather be a land lubber than a fairy dropping from above with silk!

Source : Journal de l'Aviation

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
815 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Hey Joseph, try and get Ossie back on board. Be nice to see some of the lads back. Case of beer 🍺 or donation if you succeed!
Ossie O. keeps in touch by sending me articles on the Legion, mainly the REP. I'll give it a go, but he was a bit pissed that there were a couple of impostors (who have been weeded out since).
Not just the older hands, we need some fresh blood, a lot of those who have come on here for advise and info have joined and left without paying the bill.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Well, as an ‘old hand’, I was not always made feel welcome on this forum either. Probably my own fault. A bit confrontational some times, posting after a few beers, typically silly legionnaire stuff. But some good feedback too, in particular with respect to my photos from Algeria. Cheers!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
322 5 7
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I would always remember the little fights Joseph and Jonny have had here. :)
It was only time I saw Joseph pissed. BTW he is so phlegmatic that sometimes I get pissed because he is to calm.

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Well, ‘as an old hand’ I was not always made feel welcome on this forum either. Probably my own fault. A bit confrontational some times, posting after a few beers, typically silly legionnaire stuff. But some good feedback too, in particular with respect to my photos from Algeria. Cheers!
I would always remember the little fights Joseph and Jonny have had here. :)
It was only time I saw Joseph pissed. BTW he is so phlegmatic that sometimes I get pissed because he is to calm.
I think sort of related to this was that I referred to my three ‘Croix de la Valeur Militaire’ in Algeria as the ‘Croix de Guerre’, and my medals were disputed. Well, here is an explanation that may or may not be of interest.
In the 1950s, The French republic strenuously declared and believed that Algeria was just another part of France, i.e. there was no war going on in Algeria, only lawless bands (hors-la-loi) causing trouble. Therefore the Croix de Guerre (War Cross) had to be re-named something else. But in Algeria we still just referred to it as the “Croix de Guerre”, mainly because it was easier to say than “Croix de Valeur Militaire” for non-native French speakers, I think.
I hope that explains somehow why I was barred from this forum for 18 months.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Ratings
322 5 7
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) I hope that explains somehow why I was barred from this forum for 18 months.
18 ! Did someone die from consequences of your provocation? :)
When that happened? I think you referring to time when I wasn't member yet.

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Dusaboss, no, not even the cat. But I was told by the almighty moderator that I would have to produce evidence of my decorations, or else!

So I said “va te faire foutre” whereupon I was barred for 18 months. However, I scanned some of my documents to my priliateljy in Serbia who posted them here anyway.

Oh well, I don’t want to seem to be bragging, or anything, but I’ll attach a pic of my medals and I will be looking forward to seeing a pic of their medals as well. Just a thought.

FBD4BBDD-2B0E-46C0-8A64-369D34520B72.jpeg

Or, shouldn’t I be holding my breath?

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Hi Joseph,
Lookslike I will have to go on my main computer for that. Probably tomorrow. This is fro my ipad.

Rapace

Ratings
332 2 1
Home Country
France
(...) I hope that explains somehow why I was barred from this forum for 18 months.
We are drifting veeery far away from the initial topic (delivery of a new Hercules C130J to the French Air Force), but since you're raising the point, let me put the record straight. You were banned because you (1) initially behaved on this board as a total assh*le and (2) refused to produce any document supporting your claims of service in 2e REP in Algeria.
The attitude has seriously improved, but regarding the second point, be informed that your story still has some ‘holes’ in it (so to speak) that don't make it so far 100% ‘watertight’ (again, so to speak). Some people here, including me, still have some little doubts. Your story of 2e REP ready to board planes and jump on Paris during the April 1961 putsch is a total fantasy. Never happened. Over time this glorified story has become a ‘urban legend’, often repeated, but, nevertheless not factual. Maybe you just couldn't resist the temptation of telling embellished ‘war stories’ to get some attention, so you've been given the benefit of the doubt. Nothing more. The rest in PM, if you wish. Or you can again tell me d'aller me faire foutre or hold your breath as long as you want (or can), no problem for me.
African proverb — When you want to climb up the palm tree, make sure your butt is clean...

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
We are drifting veeery far away from the initial topic (delivery of a new Hercules C130J to the French Air Force), but since you're raising the point, let me put the record straight. You were banned because you (1) initially behaved on this board as a total assh*le and (2) refused to produce any document supporting your claims of service in 2e REP in Algeria.
The attitude has seriously improved, but regarding the second point, be informed that your story still has some ‘holes’ in it (so to speak) that don't make it so far 100% ‘watertight’ (again, so to speak). Some people here, including me, still have some little doubts. Your story of 2e REP ready to board planes and jump on Paris during the April 1961 putsch is a total fantasy. Never happened. Over time this glorified story has become a ‘urban legend’, often repeated, but, nevertheless not factual. Maybe you just couldn't resist the temptation of telling embellished ‘war stories’ to get some attention, so you've been given the benefit of the doubt. Nothing more. The rest in PM, if you wish. Or you can again tell me d'aller me faire foutre or hold your breath as long as you want (or can), no problem for me.
African proverb — When you want to climb up the palm tree, make sure your butt is clean...
Oh well, here we go again... Apparently, I was never at the airport in Philippeville, Algeria, getting ready to collect the parachutes to jump in Paris in April 1961? Oh dear, I must have been on magic mushrooms to imagine such a thing!
Why don’t you just check out a few history books from the Algerian war, and contemporary diary accounts, like for instance, Simon Murray’s book ‘Legionnaire’? Or Capitaine Pierre Sergent’s book ‘Je ne Regrette Rien’, or Martin Windrow, and several others. You must certainly have heard of at least some of those books, non?
My, oh my, you really are that ignorant monkey up that tree, aren’t you? This insulting behaviour towards me, as a genuine ancien legionnaire paratrooper and a veteran of the Algerian war is just disgusting. I have been awarded the Medaille Militaire. Stand to attention and salute me when I walk past you, Asshole.
Crikey, is this prick the best they can find as moderators on this forum? I thought this was a place where I could exchange past and present views on the world with fellow veterans. Obviously I was wrong.

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
And no photo of your medals, Rapace? I wonder why. Not much to show for your time in the Legion, eh?

spooker

Ratings
Home Country
India
I dont know how relevant this information is to the debate at hand, but i will post something that i read from one of the Legion's history books ((he author of the book writes).

"Nevertheless small tremors of revolt rattled both the 1er REC and 2e REP at Philippeville, As the 2e REP drove west towards Algiers through crowds of cheering Pied Noirs, Simon Murray, thought that “the entrance of the Allies into Paris at the end of the war could not have received a more enthusiastic welcome. That question should have been answered when they were ordered to occupy an air base held by a unit of conscript marines"

(Mr Murray continues)

“and they weren't having any of it. So we were given wooden batons, heavy, with sharp points, and in one long line we slowly eased into the marines, pushing them forward like bolshi rams. They frequently turned and attacked with aggression. This was meant in many cases with savage beatings and it became a sad and shoddy business. Marine officers were pushed around by our officers-there were scenes of officers yelling at each other with questions of loyalty and accusations of traitor and so on, L'hopitallier bust his baton on the head of one of the marines. Gradually they were herded out of the airport premises and we were in control of the base from which we will apparently MAKE THE DROP ON PARIS.”

(The author of the book continues)

“But that was not meant to be, as the massive Noratlas transport planes had already slipped quietly back across the Mediterranean.”

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Yep, Spooker, that’s one of the things I was refering to. Thank you for posting. We also, I e. my company, occupied the airport in Phillippevile before being diverted to ‘Plan B’, when the airplanes took off without us. Then we raced through the night and the next day towards the airport in Algiers, being cheered by jubilant ‘pieds noirs’, as described by Simon Murray. But my experience at the airport in Algiers was different, though. The French marines were not abused by anybody in my company, only told to sit down and shut up. Which they mostly did, only the odd cheeky comment is what I remember.

Rapace

Ratings
332 2 1
Home Country
France
And no photo of your medals, Rapace? I wonder why. Not much to show for your time in the Legion, eh?
If you read a bit more what is being written on this board, you would know that I never served in the Legion and never claimed I have.

Most viewed threads of the week