Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
https://www.legion-etrangere.com/mdl/page.php?id=690&titre=Camerone-autrement
Cheers Ossie O.

1588051982727.png

This year, the crisis situation in which we find ourselves leads us to celebrate Camerone differently. The Foreign Legion is deployed on several fronts: in the Sahel, elsewhere in the world, on the national territory as part of the “Sentinelle” and “Résilience” operations. For many legionnaires, this Camerone 2020 will therefore be a Camerone “in operation”.

At the command of the Foreign Legion (COMLE) and in the regiments, we all work to ensure that the Foreign Legion retains its full operational capacity so that it is always ready. We also want our families, our elders, our brothers in arms and our friends to be completely spared from this pandemic.

This is why the 157th commemoration of the fight of Camerone will be held without public and with total respect for barrier gestures: regimental ceremonies, the large gathering of the Mother House, drill, body meals and fairs are not won't do. In Aubagne, the bearer of the hand, Chief Warrant Officer Ende (ret.) and the guides, the former sergeant Veress, the former legionnaire Tepass, major Deutschman, the master corporals Milinkovic and Rayapin will not be present.

But, we didn't want this Camerone 2020 to look like Camerone 1961, the only year where the hand has not been presented since 1947.

We did not want our alumni, who will be confined on April 30, away from their comrades, to be sad or nostalgic.

We did not want our friends, our public, present with us for years, not to be able to attend this beautiful liturgy of courage and loyalty.

So, we wanted Camerone to be commemorated with dignity and for Captain Danjou's hand to be presented to the legionnaires, for Camerone's gesture to be explained to each of you. We have the strength of our symbols, and our digital communication tools allow us today to maintain cohesion beyond the distance necessary for everyone's security.

It will be Major Luis Balanzat, president of the non-commissioned officers of the Foreign Legion, who will present the hand of Captain Danjour to the legionnaires, during a short but very symbolic commemoration.

We have decided to share with you this Camerone 2020 "otherwise" on our social networks, from April 28, through several publications.

On April 30 at 12 noon, the hour at which Captain Danjou falls on April 30, 1863, we will broadcast the report of the commemoration which will have taken place a few hours before in Aubagne, Mother House of the Foreign Legion.

You can, right now, write your comments and wish us a happy Camerone on our Facebook event www.facebook.com/events/2579322008991359/ and follow us on # Camerone2020.

Find Legion news on www.legion-etrangere.com

FOLLOW CAMERONE 2020 NEWS ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Here is another post that I was sent by another ancien. If you click on the symbols on the right and then on the bubble on the left it opens up. For those, like me who do not know.

Voilà le programme de la semaine de Camerone au Quartier Viénot (cliquez à l’heure prévue sur les icônes pour être redirigé vers la page correspondante) :

Vous pouvez également, dès maintenant, écrire vos commentaires et nous souhaiter un joyeux Camerone sur notre évènement Facebook :

www.facebook.com/events/2579322008991359/

Rappel : pour nous suivre et retrouver la Légion étrangère sur les réseaux sociaux, voici les liens.

FACEBOOK :
https://www.facebook.com/LegionetrangereOfficiel/
TWITTER :
https://twitter.com/COMLE_DRPLE
INSTRAGRAM :
https://www.instagram.com/legionetrangereofficiel/
YOUTUBE :
https://www.youtube.com/user/LegionEtrangereCOMLE

Bon... je sais... ça manque un peu de binouses et de chants ! :) (Well... I know, it'll lack beers and songs!)

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
https://www.legion-etrangere.com/mdl/page.php?id=690&titre=Camerone-autrement
Cheers Ossie O.

View attachment 6147

This year, the crisis situation in which we find ourselves leads us to celebrate Camerone differently. The Foreign Legion is deployed on several fronts: in the Sahel, elsewhere in the world, on the national territory as part of the “Sentinelle” and “Résilience” operations. For many legionnaires, this Camerone 2020 will therefore be a Camerone “in operation”.

At the command of the Foreign Legion (COMLE) and in the regiments, we all work to ensure that the Foreign Legion retains its full operational capacity so that it is always ready. We also want our families, our elders, our brothers in arms and our friends to be completely spared from this pandemic.

This is why the 157th commemoration of the fight of Camerone will be held without public and with total respect for barrier gestures: regimental ceremonies, the large gathering of the Mother House, drill, body meals and fairs are not won't do. In Aubagne, the bearer of the hand, Chief Warrant Officer Ende (ret.) and the guides, the former sergeant Veress, the former legionnaire Tepass, major Deutschman, the master corporals Milinkovic and Rayapin will not be present.

But, we didn't want this Camerone 2020 to look like Camerone 1961, the only year where the hand has not been presented since 1947.

We did not want our alumni, who will be confined on April 30, away from their comrades, to be sad or nostalgic.

We did not want our friends, our public, present with us for years, not to be able to attend this beautiful liturgy of courage and loyalty.

So, we wanted Camerone to be commemorated with dignity and for Captain Danjou's hand to be presented to the legionnaires, for Camerone's gesture to be explained to each of you. We have the strength of our symbols, and our digital communication tools allow us today to maintain cohesion beyond the distance necessary for everyone's security.

It will be Major Luis Balanzat, president of the non-commissioned officers of the Foreign Legion, who will present the hand of Captain Danjour to the legionnaires, during a short but very symbolic commemoration.

We have decided to share with you this Camerone 2020 "otherwise" on our social networks, from April 28, through several publications.

On April 30 at 12 noon, the hour at which Captain Danjou falls on April 30, 1863, we will broadcast the report of the commemoration which will have taken place a few hours before in Aubagne, Mother House of the Foreign Legion.

You can, right now, write your comments and wish us a happy Camerone on our Facebook event www.facebook.com/events/2579322008991359/ and follow us on # Camerone2020.

Find Legion news on www.legion-etrangere.com

FOLLOW CAMERONE 2020 NEWS ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA

Attachments

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks Pink Floyd. And bonne fëte to you and all the anciens and currently serving legionnaires (most especially those on the forum). And bonne fete to all those who are going to join and for those who wished that they had joined and for those who have taken a direction parallel i.e. served in their own military. And bonne fete for those who are just interested in the legion. Have I missed anyone? :unsure: ;).
I brought up the coffee to Erika* this morning. Not that unusual as I always do, because I'm usually up at 04:30- But not today! :) I didn't go as far as going out to buy croissants.

* It is tradition for the chef de section and all the cadre to bring coffee laced with rum (and without for those who do not drink), because during the Hacienda siege a Sgt kicks over the canteen of coffee -perhaps the same one who shouts couleur** every time the flag is raised. During the many hours of the siege, the legionnaires were overcome by extreme thirst.

** There is always at least one Sgt who will shout "couleurs!" when the tricolor with the red and green legion pennant is being raised. This in spite of the fact there there will be a clairon (bugle) or a recorded 'message' letting every know. :(

The coffee I can relate to; the excitement of 2000 Mexicans about to engage in hand to hand combat :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (get it? Hand to hand?) but the couleurs two times a day !

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Aubagne, Camerone ceremony yesterday...very eerie seeing these photos without the crowds.

Attachments

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Thanks Pink Floyd. And bonne fëte to you and all the anciens and currently serving legionnaires (most especially those on the forum). And bonne fete to all those who are going to join and for those who wished that they had joined and for those who have taken a direction parallel i.e. served in their own military. And bonne fete for those who are just interested in the legion. Have I missed anyone? :unsure: ;).
I brought up the coffee to Erika* this morning. Not that unusual as I always do, because I'm usually up at 04:30- But not today! :) I didn't go as far as going out to buy croissants.

* It is tradition for the chef de section and all the cadre to bring coffee laced with rum (and without for those who do not drink), because during the Hacienda siege a Sgt kicks over the canteen of coffee -perhaps the same one who shouts couleur** every time the flag is raised. During the many hours of the siege, the legionnaires were overcome by extreme thirst.

** There is always at least one Sgt who will shout "couleurs!" when the tricolor with the red and green legion pennant is being raised. This in spite of the fact there there will be a clairon (bugle) or a recorded 'message' letting every know. :(

The coffee I can relate to; the excitement of 2000 Mexicans about to engage in hand to hand combat :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (get it? Hand to hand?) but the couleurs two times a day !
Bonne Fete to you Joe and all you Anciens. It is tradition/rituals like this that make who we are as an armed force. The centuries call to mind our past glories. We to Joe share a common bond to the Legionnaires, all one need know is the opening stanza of the Marine's Hymn, "From the Halls of Montezuma," The Blood Stripe we wear on our dress blue trousers and the red piping on our Dress Blues Blouse symbolizes the blood shed by Officers and NCOs in the Mexican American War.

Same on Marine Corps Bases and our FOBs over seas. Every morning at 0705, you will hear, if your close enough, the person in charge of raising the flag, colors, shout "COLORS!" You will stop where you are even if your driving, face the flag, or music if you can't see the flag pole and stand at attention. When colors is over he or she will shout carry on. Again if you can't hear because you are too far away there are music call to colors, 5 minute warning, colors, and then carry on. Every Marine knows the sounds/music. The music is broad cast through base.