notatexan

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
View attachment 4653

Hello all. Things have been going pretty decent here at the new 1er REC base. It has been a while since I posted on here. Still the only American in the regiment. Carpiagne is ****in huge. The foyer still isn't open and I no longer have access to a dryer to dry my laundry, but other than that I don't have much to complain about. Lots of new guys and I am a 1CL now.
Lots of guys were talking about how shitty this place was going to be, but it is not so bad. They changed the way the guard 24 works... for the worse. Not sure what else to mention about the new place. Feel free to shoot me questions about it.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Slovenia
How many people are there per room ? And do you get to go out ?

IsshoNi

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Are the toilets decent? Everyone likes to poop on a nice toilet.

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
Good to see you are getting on alright.Get hold of the lingo ASAP and jump on any course/stage they may throw at you.The ones who bitch, moan and drag their arse (mauvais esprit) usually end up deserting. Avoid them like warm, flat beer served in a cracked glass. Let us know if there is any outre-mer (overseas deployment) coming up for the Regiment... Nec pluribus impar!

OP
N

notatexan

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I've been doing every stage they give me. I'm on one now and I have VBL next week.
4 people to a room. The toilets are good. We are let out every weekend unless we have service.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Hello notatexan, nice to hear from you and thank you for your time.
Is the city ok? To grab a meal or to have fun on your time off.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
notatexan,

Thanks for info. As OssieO, states go for as many courses as possible. Congrats on 1cl. Further promotion will come, of that I am certain, when you have some courses under your belt. And time will fly.

Chas. 99% need not apply. Rosbif 'beret vert'.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
(...) I'm on one now and I have VBL next week. (...)
VBL,Véhicule Blindé Léger, Light Armoured Vehicle, so your next step may be the Heavier vehicles as in Truck? In my time in 1er REC in Orange, we passed both in the same time and my VAB, Véhicule de l'Avant Blindé, Armoured Personnal carrier, with the 2e REI in Nîmes. Best of luck and do post more photos of the Camp when you can. Not just of you and your longue-vue. :D

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
I've been doing every stage they give me. I'm on one now and I have VBL next week. (...)
So you have already your ordinary driving licence (BMC) or did they accept your American one ? And do they plan to send you on a stage for Trucks and Extra-Heavy Trucks ? Grab them as they are needed for promotion !

(...) 4 people to a room. The toilets are good. We are let out every weekend unless we have service.
Great for the rooms, I leave the toilets to your appreciation !

Let out every weekend when not "de service" ? Only that ? You are probably too much of a "jeune légionnaire" to be let out in the evening, even if not "de service", but that will come in a year or so, so be patient !

When they let you out is it in uniform like us in 2e REP or can you go in civvies, provided you go out of the garrison (which is not possible in 2e REP, Corsica being an island !!!) ?

Greetings

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
VBL,Véhicule Blindé Léger, Light Armoured Vehicle, so your next step may be the Heavier vehicles as in Truck? In my time in 1er REC in Orange, we passed both in the same time and my VAB, Véhicule de l'Avant Blindé, Armoured Personnal carrier, with the 2e REI in Nîmes. Best of luck and do post more photos of the Camp when you can. Not just of you and your longue-vue. :D
He'll have to pass those before they will let him play with the big boy toys lol.

OP
N

notatexan

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The anglophone mafia is pretty small here. I'm set to do stage gunner 10RC in October.
The walk from the security post to the town is like an hour and two hour walk to the train station. Si besoin (if necessary) call a taxi chaque (each) time you want to leave for weekend. It's a real bitch. Some people got bicycles but then too many people got them and the man was all like I don't want this place looking like the Tour de France.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Any Croats with you there? How do all of you get along with each other, considering the little ‘melting pot’ you're in?

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
(...) When they let you out is it in uniform like us in 2e REP or can you go in civvies, provided you go out of the garrison (which is not possible in 2e REP, Corsica being an island !!!) ?
You seem to be under some misconception that this was allowed elsewhere and only the poor repmen had to be in uniform?

Not so. In 2e REI, under 5 years of service and under the rank of CCH you were supposed to be in uniform when out of the camp, wherever you where (unless on PLD). Of course, if you were in the middle of the Ardèche in a village of 300 habitants, you could probably risk getting into civvies and not get caught, but should you get caught you would be punished as you were wrongly dressed.

Well, in my time, anyway. It may have changed now, although I hope not, it never did us any harm.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
The only Legion personel I ever saw in civilian clothes, was the commandant that I had to drive from Oran to Mecheria.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
You seem to be under some misconception that this was allowed elsewhere and only the poor repmen had to be in uniform?

Not so. In 2e REI, under 5 years of service and under the rank of CCH you were supposed to be in uniform when out of the camp, wherever you where (unless on PLD). Of course, if you were in the middle of the Ardèche in a village of 300 habitants, you could probably risk getting into civvies and not get caught, but should you get caught you would be punished as you were wrongly dressed.

Well, in my time, anyway. It may have changed now, although I hope not, it never did us any harm.
In 2e REP we had to be in uniform 24/7. But I heard that in 2e REI those who could go out on weekends were allowed to be in civvies, provided they did not stay inside the garrison (Nîmes) but they had to be in uniform if they were out in the evening after their service was done. All this sounds very unprecise to me and I strongly prefer the strict, but clear, rule imposed on us in Calvi : always in uniform except when you are on PLD.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
I never saw a Legion personnel not dressed in uniform in my 5 years in Algeria.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
I never saw a Legion personnel not dressed in uniform in my 5 years in Algeria.
I am afraid that was a certain time ago, things are very different now but the essence of the Legion stays. "Autres temps, autres moeurs", but it is only another way of doing things : the main spirit of the Institution is still there and I will add (in particular for DP), especially so in 2e REP, where traditions are kept as they were.

Most viewed threads of the week