OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
One of the few threads I can relate to on this forum. Probably half of my jumps we did up at Borgo,. the main drop zone for the REP apart from camp Raffalli. That was just the appetizer/drop off point for a nice march afterwards into the scenic mountains of la Corse! 😆Ah! for a cold drink in the calypso for memory’s sake! I’ll send part two of the Walt saga within the next few days to our e-mail. Joseph can then edit it or whatever! Cheers mate.
there you go mate....

Attachments

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
there you go mate....
For those that are worried about being 'stuck on an island', the white band that can be seen along the bay is sand. In spring until the end of summer it is full of tourists. At the end of the bay is the the citadel. To the left of the citadel is the calypso:) which is at the top of the rue des schtiffmans which contains the son des guitars etc.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Ah yes ! I remember my first jump with the FAMAS attached like this. It was on Christmas day, Djibouti and we had the traditional jump. Although we had been given instruction on how to attach the FAMAS with the musette in front, I was so drunk from the night before that Kiwi Philips who was doing the inspection au sol, had to kit me up. :)
It’s amazing how fast you sober up when that green light goes on!

there you go mate....
What can one say? Puts a smile on this anciens face 😊. Cheers mate.🍻

For those that are worried about being 'stuck on an island', the white band that can be seen along the bay is sand. In spring until the end of summer it is full of tourists. At the end of the bay is the the citadel. To the left of the citadel is the calypso:) which is at the top of the rue des schtiffmans which contains the son des guitares etc.
Was going to post the Walt saga part 2. Don’t think there’s any need. A tremendous improvement on the forum now. and more greens coming on. as for the Walts? A lot more difficult with our warden around!😊

Spoke to my Saffa friend (the one in around the same time as Guido) this morning. He is off to the REP, rumour has it 1st company. Proudof the bloke when he's finished jump school and such I'll try and get some pics off of him and share on the forum the current Camp Raffalli.
My old company the 1st 😊. Send him a well done from us old reptiles!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Been there once, On vacation with a bike (motor). Took the Ferry from Genoa and on the return trip to Nice. Those were the day's! Met a few Rep guys in a bar in town. Most were Brits. Haven't thought about that in years but reading this thread brought flash back
Post Shitum
Was bunked up in a Villa avec piscine in the Île Rousse area... Direct access to the sea (no beach, just rocks and a couple of deprived bitches from Strasbourg).

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Wow, absolutely stunning!

When you writing your book Ossie?:cool:
I reckon you and Joe would make a top selling book on life in the Legion.
A photo from 1990, a good day. Our company (3Cie) jumped in the morning and the afternoon. Calvi ville in the background. The plane photo is not mine, but it shows you how quick the REP get out on a ‘stick’. I remember the Brit Paras scratching their heads when they saw the size of the DZ at Calvi. To quote one “I’ve seen the football pitch, now where’s the DZ”.

Attachments

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
A photo from 1990, a good day. Our company (3Cie) jumped in the morning and the afternoon. Calvi ville in the background. The plane photo is not mine, but it shows you how quick the REP get out on a ‘stick’. I remember the Brit Paras scratching their heads when they saw the size of the DZ at Calvi. To quote one “I’ve seen the football pitch, now where’s the DZ”.
That would be the lads from 2para ossie. Their sister unit in NATO slang is now 2e Cie REP and has been for some time. General Puga (now retired) my old chef de section had a lot to do with that. 2para tries to get as many jumps as they can with the REP but are now facing competition from other airborne units! Cheers mate.

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
That would be the lads from 2para ossie. Their sister unit in NATO slang is now 2e Cie REP and has been for some time. General Puga (now retired) my old chef de section had a lot to do with that. 2para tries to get as many jumps as they can with the REP but are now facing competition from other airborne units! Cheers mate.
Mark, Calvi must be the smallest military DZ anywhere. When the Brits would came to 2REP to jump for their French wings, a few of the lads always landed in the maquis at the end of the DZ. *For those that don’t know maquis is a short, ugly, impenetrable bush that you need a bulldozer to get through it...

Attachments

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Perhaps they were exiting too slowly and therefore too spread out?
Of course it can be the “largueur au sol”’s fault as well. As it's the weekend and I haven't gone to the gym today I've got time on my hands.
On the DZ Drop Zone, there is a largueur or jump master, who checks the plane's trajectory and the wind direction and speed with the use of the the various wind socks
One on the ground and one as high up as possible, in Calvi's case on the parachute tower of the old SEPP (where they dry and check, repair and fold the chutes) and the wind's speed with the aid of an Anemometer 4768
Once he's happy with the wind speed -there's an old saying in the REP for anything cancelled; a guy's leave pass, a match on the tele, etc. annulé, trop de vent (cancelled too much wind) then he can signal to the plane to throw out the “siki” which is a REP nickname for the T.I.D. (Témoin inerte de dérive).
I forget where the nickname originates but it was a black guy (Ossie, Mark, Papillon, Jonny). Anyone remembers where the name comes from?

I think I've recounted this one before. We're on the first stick and out we go. Now it has to be pointed out that no matter how hard you may pull on the parachute straps, you have very little maneuverability. The whole stick is floating down on a nice hot summer's day before the DZ o_O. If you look on Pink Floyd's photo you can just make out main road and a T junction which leads of to the left going towards Calenzana. As I've said it's in the middle of summer and so there are loads of tourists on the roads. Luckily they stop and start getting out their cameras. I say luckily because nowadays they'd carry on driving and snap you with their mobiles on the way past (or over you).

Naturally there is barbed wire along the the edges of the DZ and I don't mean a few strands, we're talking about coils of the stuff, D day landing stuff. Fortunately I'm not heading for it, call me mister selfish, but I didn't really care at the time if anyone else was. No, I'm heading straight for the road with the cars on. If ever I'd needed to do a perfect rolly polly it was then. I went down like a sack of king Edwards, but managed to get up to applause from the bystanders. I was almost tempted to take a bow. I folded up the chute among tourists trying to get their pictures taken next to me.

As far as I know most of the other stick landed next to the Vagas (?) (was that the name of the old brothel ?) or in the field next to it. One or two others landed on the road and had selfies taken. No injuries as far as I can remember.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I did See a Video where a guy landed on a roof & they had to get him down. 😆
5:35 Mark.

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
(...) Once he's happy with the wind speed -there's an old saying in the REP for anything cancelled; a guy's leave pass, a match on the tele, etc. annulé, trop de vent (cancelled too much wind) then he can signal to the plane to throw out the “siki” which is a REP nickname for the T.I.D. (Témoin inerte de dérive).
View attachment 4770
I forget where the nickname originates but it was a black guy (Ossie, Mark, Papillon, Jonny). Anyone remembers where the name comes from? (...)
The term “Siki” is not specific to the 2e REP and is used in all airborne units in the French military. The story goes that the name comes for a (black) Senegalese boxer called Louis Fall or Amadou M'Barick Fall who became famous in the 20s under the nickname of “Battling Siki”. Siki would be an alteration of the word “Sigil” meaning in Wollof (the native language in Senegal) “raise your head”.
In the past real paratroopers were dropped to monitor the wind drift over the DZ, but it means that they were required to remain inactive during the fall, without trying to counter the wind by pulling on the parachute suspension lines. That proved dangerous and this practice was abandoned.
In July 1971 a Noratlas crashed near the ETAP (École des Troupes Aéroportées) in Pau with a group of cadet officers from the EMIA (École Militaire Interarmes) who were getting their wings, killing everybody on board. The only two survivors were the Sikis who had been dropped on the first pass (called in French the “passage Siki”).

OP
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Top photo, I could tell a lie and say the Russians gave us a plane for the day to jump out of...but you would never believe me. Bottom photo says it all “Kigali, Rwanda 1991-92. I spent most nights in the control tower, still remember getting ‘happy new year’ from the planes flying past overhead in Rwandan airspace on the night of 31 Dec-1st Jan ‘92

Attachments

Last edited:

Most viewed threads of the week